Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Ferrous furmarate 210mg

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    bikerchris
    Participant

Hi all,

At my annual check, it was noted my iron levels are low, which I believe is common post wls, despite my decent consumption of dairy, red meat and greens. Mr Slater asked my GP to prescribe the 210mg iron tablets mentioned but I tried 4 pharmacies and couldn’t get it. I was told there is a manufacturing problem and nowhere has it. Anyone else on this med and have you had problems sourcing it?

One pharmacist suggested I ask my GP for an alternative, which I did and got Ferrous Sulphate 200mg. I assume this will be nearly as good but I’ve emailed in to Streamline to let them know.

Chris x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 33668 wrote:

Hi all,

At my annual check, it was noted my iron levels are low, which I believe is common post wls, despite my decent consumption of dairy, red meat and greens. Mr Slater asked my GP to prescribe the 210mg iron tablets mentioned but I tried 4 pharmacies and couldn’t get it. I was told there is a manufacturing problem and nowhere has it. Anyone else on this med and have you had problems sourcing it?

One pharmacist suggested I ask my GP for an alternative, which I did and got Ferrous Sulphate 200mg. I assume this will be nearly as good but I’ve emailed in to Streamline to let them know.

Chris x

Thanks for this Chris. I’m waiting to hear whether any of the guidelines post wls have changed significantly in the past few years as some ‘newbies’ have been given markedly different advice to my won – almost 8 years ago!

It’s important to remember that it’s for life – not just until we have lost our excess weight. Thank you so much for highlighting this particular question 😉

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

hi

Just wanted to follow up on this. I had another blood test and my levels are still low, I’m still on the supplements and my GP is waiting to see if this works, however the next step will be having iron intravenously. I have also found that I was refused as a blood donor recently because my iron levels are too low, which is disappointing. I’ve always supported the transfusion service and I encourage everyone to go if they can. Never having been in this situation before, I’d always assumed that people with anaemia would feel weak and tired all the time, whereas I don’t, I feel great.

Now I have another question and I am certain you will all say speak to your team or see your GP, and I will do. But I just wanted to see if anyone had personal insight. My periods have suddenly stopped. I’m 46 and whilst I suppose the menopause is looming, it isn’t that they have slowed or tapered off, just completely stopped for the past two months. No, I’m not pregnant, thank goodness, I did a test which was negative. I have found a couple of other posts on this forum relating to this issue but there was no follow up from them to say what happened to these ladies. Any of the usual words of wisdom will be welcome on this.

Chris x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 34658 wrote:

hi

Just wanted to follow up on this. I had another blood test and my levels are still low, I’m still on the supplements and my GP is waiting to see if this works, however the next step will be having iron intravenously. I have also found that I was refused as a blood donor recently because my iron levels are too low, which is disappointing. I’ve always supported the transfusion service and I encourage everyone to go if they can. Never having been in this situation before, I’d always assumed that people with anaemia would feel weak and tired all the time, whereas I don’t, I feel great.

Now I have another question and I am certain you will all say speak to your team or see your GP, and I will do. But I just wanted to see if anyone had personal insight. My periods have suddenly stopped. I’m 46 and whilst I suppose the menopause is looming, it isn’t that they have slowed or tapered off, just completely stopped for the past two months. No, I’m not pregnant, thank goodness, I did a test which was negative. I have found a couple of other posts on this forum relating to this issue but there was no follow up from them to say what happened to these ladies. Any of the usual words of wisdom will be welcome on this.

Chris x

Hi Chris

Thanks for the follow up. I have never been able to donate blood as I have been anaemic most of my life and have Factor 8 (sticky blood) along with my Dad, Mum and Sister. However, my son skipped it and gives blood regularly.

Iron infusions are common after wls. As for menopause, I think you could be onto something here. I have heard of several women of around your age going into an unexpected menopause. I had my surgery at 48 but I had an endometrial ablation years before that more or less stopped my periods. However, I still had all the symptoms. After wls, they stopped too – for which I am very grateful!

Of course you should ask your team and GP. There is still so much to learn about the long term after effect of wls isn’t there?

Doodah x

Lelly

@bikerchris 33668 wrote:

Hi all,

Chris x

Hello Chris,

I have Ferrous Fumarate 210mg and I have had no trouble getting it, don’t know if this is just a regional issue as I live in Kent. Regarding the menopause, I just stopped suddenly without any warning when I was forty, be aware though that I did get a period about 2-3 months after and then another one or maybe two intermittently before finally stopping for good. I am now fast approaching 57 so that was moons ago

Lelly x

Doodah
    Keymaster

I wonder how many ‘menopause babies’ there are because women think they are done with periods, when they are just having a bit of a gap between them!! I’m 56 and there is no way I’d have the energy for a baby now lol!

Doodah x

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media