Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Fat girl

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kimberly
    Participant

I wanted to call this fat girl but then worried about offending people . I want to be honest, I know in my head I’m a good healthy BMI and love it . What I noticed is that I identify my self as fat girl . Very strange because when I was at my heaviest I knew their was a skinny girl inside . I still think of my self as fat , don’t get me wrong my head know I’m not and I know I’m at good weight for my height and age and wouldn’t want to lose any more .Is this just me or do other share this experience . Will it change does the mind every catch up ? I be two years in November .I’m sorry if I go on about being so poorly , it feels like a miracle that I’m here . And a big part is scared that if I forget where I’ve come from I slip back into unhealthy eating patterns again, I don’t know may be that why I keep the fat girl in my head !

bikerchris
    Participant

Kim, I’m still the fat girl too, I don’t know if it ever goes away. The way I look at it is that I spent my whole life obsessing about food, what it was doing to my health and body. I knew I was all f***ed up mentally and physically but could never find a solution.

Now I have the solution, so long as I use the tools I have. But the underlying me is still me, the fat girl. It’s reassuring to know you’re just like me.

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I’m seven years out and still surprised at the reflection in my mirror. That first look in the mirror in the morning when I am brushing my teeth. I still expect to see a very poorly woman with a BMI of 64.

I’m not sure it will ever leave us. I think the fat girl is in our heads waiting for an opportunity to once again take control and play with our minds. I personally have to beat that b***h into submission by keeping busy mentally. By being productive and making plans for the future. By believing I HAVE a future.

I was at a friends house the other evening. We are all involved in a fund raiser and were donating things. One of my friends donated some of her clothes. Everyone else set about trying things on but I was reluctant because I didn’t want to try things and they didn’t fit. Completely and utterly ridiculous. All my friends are of a similar size to me but I still can’t see it.

Anyway, thanks for raising this very important issue Kim. It highlights the fact that we need to stay vigilant or the fat girl will try to start running things again!

Doodah x

Thais

Hi!!
    I haven’t been here for a long time and I come back for help as I think my “fat girl” has come back and is taking over my choices and my life again, there is nothing that scares me more than being her again. I seriously need help in dealing with the issues that makes her come back and take shelter in food as I used to. I don’t know who to turn to. I have identify where my issues with food come from but still don’t know what to do about it. Anyone have any advice?

Thais

Hi!
    I haven’t been here for a long time and I come back for help as I think my “fat girl” has come back and is taking over my choices and my life again, there is nothing that scares me more than being her again. I seriously need help in dealing with the issues that makes her come back and take shelter in food as I use to. I don’t know who to turn to. I have identify where my issues with food come from but still don’t know what to do about it. Anyone have any advice?

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Thais 34427 wrote:

Hi!
    I haven’t been here for a long time and I come back for help as I think my “fat girl” has come back and is taking over my choices and my life again, there is nothing that scares me more than being her again. I seriously need help in dealing with the issues that makes her come back and take shelter in food as I use to. I don’t know who to turn to. I have identify where my issues with food come from but still don’t know what to do about it. Anyone have any advice?

Hi Thais

Nice to hear from you again.

I’m sorry you are struggling with food and that you feel you are not as in control as you once where. I would suggest your first point of call to be your GP. Explain to her/him what you have said above and ask for advice on what to do next. It could be that he/she might suggest therapy or counselling. I had three years of therapy before I had my bypass it really helped me. However, that was quite a few years ago now so things might have moved on from then.

Also, share your concerns with people you trust. Try not to keep it all inside as it could make you even more anxious and that would be counterproductive.

I hope this is helpful. Please let us know how you get on.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Are you able to get to a wls support group ? Some people find attending wls self help group helpful ? . I go to the portsmouth group and find it really helpful , and also sw group weekly . I’m like you scared that I go back to how I was . In fact this scares the living day light out of me . Also I can’t allow that to happen. To my heart . Counselling is great. I had it and would do it again if I needed it . But also having stragergy you up your sleeve that I can implement . Like eating and drinking before I go shopping . Fluids so important for me , I get confused between hungry and fluids . So I have to drink more . Head hunger I go out , talk to friends get. Busy . Put on my ears and listen to music loud . Eat soup .

Lauren
    Keymaster

Staying busy and being connected to people is crucial in my humble opinion. If I feel my resolve is waning, I go out and try on clothes or shoes. It stops me from thinking about food and is also a nice reminder that I now no longer have to stick to one shop! Sometimes I come away empty handed!!

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

This Thursday is portsmouth support group 1930 , could you make it Thais ? Would love to see you x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 34443 wrote:

This Thursday is portsmouth support group 1930 , could you make it Thais ? Would love to see you x

Thursday in The Nelson Room, Gunwharf Quays Holiday Inn Express, The Plaza at 19:30. You will be made very, very welcome I can promise you that 🙂

Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media