Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Fast Food: FAQ

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • Author
    chubby girl

Thanks to two chats with bypass-ers, Im feeling a bit happier about my intended op on 12th but the paperwork given to me at the pre op had me weeping in the car on the way home. Have I got to say goodbye to ‘normal’ food totally? Will I ever have another mcdonalds??!! one of them told me 5 years post op she can manage a happy meal!! Thats fine – I dont mind eating in teeny portions but can anyone re assure me that I will be able to eat at least a little of what I fancy …….

SJ
    Yes, you can eat normal food again! Well, most post-oppers I know eat normally, just less of everything. Whilst I choose not to eat things like MacDonalds post op, I certainly could manage the meal the size of a happy meal and I am only a year out!

For me I was excited at the thought of never being able to eat normally again! I decided to give up fast food, sweets, cakes, chocolate etc etc. Not been hard for me as I am a super-dumper and react to just about everything. However, I do think it’s important to realise that the surgery does not fix our heads, and if we still have cravings, it can be hard to handle. Whilst the op initially removes hunger, these feelings can return. Not with everyone, but for a lot of people. Portion sizes naturally get bigger as our tums stretch over time (to stop us losing more weight etc). I certainly cannot eat a full meal, but I am not that far from it.

Whilst the gastric bypass is still currently the best thing to deal with obesity, it is not a cure and it is not an easy path. It can be hard work and it does not fix us forever. The further out from surgery we get, the harder it can be to make the right food choices etc. It is possible to out-eat any wls, and people have done it. So we need to begin with the right mind set of setting rules etc and sticking to them. For example, avoid ever trying sweets etc if you can for if you are not a dumper you can never ‘un-do’ that realisation and the temptation to eat sweets can get pretty strong! If you believe you can never eat sweets etc again, which is what I did, I do not feel like I am missing out.

I have eaten out more times since my bypass than in the previous 15 years put together! I may share a starter, have a main meal (never manage all of it and family have got used to me offloading things onto their plates!) and don’t have puds unless I am at home when I might have some fresh fruit.

So I would say that yes you can eat a little of what you fancy. BUT try to stick to the rules, for a few mouthfuls of the wrong thing can lead to a few more, and a few more (well, it could in my case anyway!).

This is life changing surgery, but life saving as well. Set some rules for yourself now, get some counselling support (I do and its been fab!) and make the best of your window of opportunity to lose as much weight as you can.

Hope this helps?

Pinkdancer

I absolutely agree with SJ. Apart from the fact that i now can’t stand Macdonalds it makes me sick literally, tried a hamburger and fish fingers and they won’t stay down and that from someone who could not drive past a maccie D’s without popping in day or night!

You really do have to make the most of that window of opportunity as SJ says, I am now even preferring to have a steak and salad and not bother with potatoe (unheard of before). I am only 2 1/2 months out but I really don’t want to eat burgers as they just don’t agree and can’t even face the thought of a KFC, did have some BK chips which were lovely, but fried food is not agreeing with me now so taking that as a positive as it is easy to stay away from them when they make you fell ill.

Haven’t really ventured into the ‘sweet’ territory trying to keep telling myself my body can’t digest it so I can’t have it, have had some no added sugar shortbread from tesco, which hits the spot and stops that sweet craving so just try to find ways around it. I am going to try a Rhubarb crumble when I can’t resist any longer but will make the rhubarb with sweetener and the crumble topping with sweetener and semolina/polenta for the crunch and maybe some toasted oats as well and make my own custard with sweetener and hopefully I will be ok with that. But atm I couldn’t fit in a pud after my dinner. lol.

Good luck for the day they press your reset button, we look forward to welcoming you to the loser bench.

Doodah
    Keymaster

I haven’t eaten a Mcdonalds or KFC etc for over 25 years! Flippin hate the stuff. It’s always made me feel sick. I’m almost 3 years post op and have no desire to eat junk except for the occasional slice of thin n crispy veggie pizza. As for sweets and chocolate’ I can have a bit of choccy if I want but NEVER too much. I’ve used the three years post op to re-train myself to not eat ‘junk’. I am NEVER going back to being 26 stones. EVER!!

chubby girl

Thanks girls, I think you are all girls anyway!!!! I dont plan to eat junk food all the time – I think it might have come across wrong!! I just dont want to know that I can NEVER have certain things again. When I had my band for 5 years for instance, I couldnt eat a tomato, or a sprout, or cucumber and a MASSIVE list of other things and I dont want to never to be able to eat anything again. Thats all. Not necessarily mcdonalds – ironically when I was on the band, it was healthy stuff I craved. Fruit (as I could only eat bananas) and I missed satsumas and grapes and apples!! I so missed vegetables as well as only carrot (sometimes) stayed down. Hopefully now you can see where Im coming from>?????

Thanks so much for your advice – being able to eat steak and salad sounds blooming good to me as it would have killed me to eat steak on the band!! Could hardly manage meat at all, including chicken.

Thanks loads for answering, and SJ you have put my mind to rest yet again. You’re a star!!!!!!!!

Have you thought seriously about the fact that if you are concerned that you may not be able to eat MACDONALDS again
    then perhaps you MAY NOT be ready for this truly life changing surgery
    its not a miracle cure
    it really is willpower and diet after the first 9 months or so
    PLEASE DON’T take this as a critisim its just a polite warning from someone on the other side of BOTH BAND AND BYPASS
    good luck in whatever option you take x

For goodness sake, you have to live best you can in this life and nothing will kill you EVEN Mc Donalds as long as it is used as a treat. I am a yr out with my bypass, 6 stone lighter and YES I do have the odd kids meal Mc Dees x bless you and welcome to the loosers club x pls remember this is a re-set button and not a maracle xxxx Diane x

good old common sense(which actually is not so common lol!)
    good post cheeky chicken

chubby girl

i shall be having mcdonalds unlimited ….well not really, but just to let you know Ive cancelled my op, my head wasnt ready and I was majorly panicking so for now …. weight watchers on line is where im at!!!!!!! day 4 and all ok so far. Sorry to cause such a reaction from the anti fast fooders (!!) of course we all know its bad, but we all know we like to do it – even if it is happy meals from now on (as my mate a nanny tells me she still has 5 years post bypass) or most of us like to indulge once in a blue moon anyway. I wasnt ready to take on the implications of the bypass – I swear its because i had the band and know how wrong I got that and am paranoid about making another mistake. If i hadnt had the band, I think id be more blase. I wonder if anyone else felt like that post band and pre bypass or did you all willingly take the plunge ???????

SJ

Well done for making your decision! Good luck with ww, and you know you can always revisit the idea of surgery again in the future if you need to. It is a major step and you do need to be absolutely ready for it.

@chubby girl 13908 wrote:

If i hadnt had the band, I think id be more blase. I wonder if anyone else felt like that post band and pre bypass or did you all willingly take the plunge ???????

I felt exactly like this! But felt I had no choice, I was just getting bigger and bigger and it felt like my last hope.

Good luck and keep in touch.

SJ
    x

Anonymous

@chubby girl 13777 wrote:

Thanks to two chats with bypass-ers, Im feeling a bit happier about my intended op on 12th but the paperwork given to me at the pre op had me weeping in the car on the way home. Have I got to say goodbye to ‘normal’ food totally? Will I ever have another mcdonalds??!! one of them told me 5 years post op she can manage a happy meal!! Thats fine – I dont mind eating in teeny portions but can anyone re assure me that I will be able to eat at least a little of what I fancy …….

Chubby, you should be able to manage most things in moderation eventually… Timing is different for everyone and the results all depend on just how long you can use this operation as a tool.
    Your tastes will change.
    You might just become a tad more concious of what your eating, whether that stays with you or you fall into old habbits will be your decison eventually, scare tactics of dumping makes most avoid the foods that might cause these conditions, but for how long is up to you.

The bypass will work for you, its up to you to make the best or worst of it…. 🙂

All the best

Buzz xx

good sound decision
    you really didn’t sound like you were ready to totally commit to such a drastic
    change in lifestyle.
    you may end up having the bypass in a years time ….or not…who knows???
    but YOU know DEEP DOWN that your head was just not in the right place for this at this time
    As we often say-this surgery only operates and changes out intestines NOT OUR MINDS!!!
    Best of luck for your future WL Journey xxx

chubby girl

Thanks you lovely people for understanding. As I say, if I hadnt had the band I think I would make this bypass decision much more easily but Im double wary now of making the right decision. Day ten of weight watchers and lost 6 pounds. Only about 5/6 stone to go!!!! Hey ho….first goal is to get to another 1.5 stone off so I can get back to where I was the day I had my band OUT. Thanks for your lovely supportive messages. I certainly havent written the bypass off, its good to know its there if I need it. Its like a comfort blanket xxx

hahaha
    there is NOTHING comfortable about having a gastric bypass!!!
    well done you with weight watchers
    its what you will end up doing with a bypass anyway 12 months out !!!

John Pullen

Hi All,

I am lucky, I really like porage and that’s good because I am now on day 8 and porage is a great breakfast or snack for me. Not that ready brek stuff which is of course the anti-christ of porage, I have to have Scott’s Porage Oats made 50-50 with water..

Getting back to the McD’s point. They do porage on their breakfast menu. Has anyone looked into this as an option for us or do McD’s load it with sugar??

Anyone tried it or was the smell of the sausage egg mcmuffins too much !!

Day 8 and still loving it!

John

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 29 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media