Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

FAQ: Pre-op (2)

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป Pre- Weight Loss Surgery ยป FAQ: Pre-op (2)

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    Anonymous

Just opening up a new thread. If there’s a question you would like to ask other members about any of the operations/procedures/diets etc…post here.

Donna O

I have a question regarding the operation i know its a silly one lol ,when you have the operation are you allowed to wear underwear if not how soon are you allowed to get dressed ?

Doodah
    Keymaster

Donna, this isn’t a silly question at all!

Most people are dressed the day after undies-wise. It all depends on each individual rate of recovery. I had a bypass (and gallbladder removal) three years ago with a 10cm open scar and was still up, showered & dressed and raring to go within 36 hours!

Don’t worry about your modesty – the staff are absolutely wonderful wherever you go. They will make sure you remain ‘decent’ at all times. By the way, I see you are from Southampton. You are very local to me, so if you want to meet up for a chat, send me your details ok?

Love Doodah x

kathc

Not silly at all . I went to theatre just Pliny hosp gown and slippers . I was out of bed few hours after op but stayed in hosp gown . The morning after I dressed and washed in pj’s . Then 2 nd day I dressed in normal clothes to go home . Because my son is so young and I’m not long out of b feeding I’m still in soft bras and they were ok some ladies with wires found them uncomfortable. But just take loose comfy clothing . Oh and a pillow from sofa for the car ride home it helps to put on your tummy between seatbelt helps the bumps !!

When you in ?

K
    X x

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

kathc

Silly predictive text not quite sure what that word was !! Think I meant I only went to theatre in …. Woops !!

Summer

Not silly I’ve been worried about that too, and don’t worry Donna I will be flashing my bits the day before you then they really would have seen it all lol ๐Ÿ˜‰

Summer xxx (7 days till op) ๐Ÿ™‚

ruby tuesday

Due to some medical issues, I requested prior to op and again notified staff on op day, that I could change into clean cotton pants and liner just before going into theatre, which was agreed to.

kathc

Yes one lady at the time I went in needed to wear knickers as it was that time and they gave her disposable knickers to wear .

K

Doodah
    Keymaster

See Donna! Not a silly question at all xx

what happens after you come out of theatre and the recovery room?

and

what pain relief can you have?

Doodah
    Keymaster

After the recovery room you will be taken to your hospital room to rest up after the op. You will probably have a self-administering morphine line that you can press when/if it hurts (I didn’t used mine after the first few hours and I had an open bypass with a 10cm scar and my gall bladder removed at the same time) There is no fear of overdose as the button you press to administer it is timed so that even if you press it 20 times in a row, you will only get one dose until the next one is available.

If you are having a bypass, you will need to stay in a bit longer but you will be encouraged to get up and about as quickly as possible to avoid the threat of Deep Vein Thrombosis (DVT) whichever surgery you have.

Hope this helps. Oh, and you will be in an almost ‘sitting’ position right from recovery in a special bed. You will be treated with respect and dignity at all times, no matter which hospital you are in, either NHS or private, it makes no difference.

Please ask anything else you need to know and don’t worry, I’m sure some the other fab people on here will remember other important things and will let you know.

Doodah x

MissJones86

Hi i have found out today (by phone) that my funding for bypass has been approved yay ๐Ÿ™‚ but im desprate to know what happens next and the time span of things. I’m planning on having op at st richards, chichester.

Victoria x

RaeRae

Hi Victoria
    Huge Congratulations on securing funding, I am now 3 weeks post op, I know each service differs in timescale, so I can only go on my personal expeirence, I received the funding end of July and had my bypass September 25th. So it all moved quite quickly for me, I had mine at The Clemantine Churchill. I really look forward to seeing your journey unfold
    Much Love
    Rae xxxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@MissJones86 25933 wrote:

Hi i have found out today (by phone) that my funding for bypass has been approved yay ๐Ÿ™‚ but im desprate to know what happens next and the time span of things. I’m planning on having op at st richards, chichester.

Victoria x

Why not give them a ring and ask them to explain it to you? Mine was done and dusted within a month once I had secured funding but I was a very poorly lady so don’t take my word for it!

Doodah x

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media