Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Effects of alcohol after wls

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

Weight Loss Surgery Center – Recommendations on the Use of Alcohol after Surgery

Hi Guys.

Just found this on our Facebook page and thought it might be prudent for the newbies to have a look.

After wls, a few sips of wine can make you tipsy! We become very ‘cheap’ dates lol! However, it isn’t always a laughing matter as you could find yourself intoxicated at the wheel (or handlebars) of a vehicle without actually being legally over the limit. Definitely something to consider over the festive season.

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Doodah,
    Tell me about it, two sips of wine and I am anybodies lol, half an hour later and I can have another couple of sips, glass of wine lasts me all night. I spent a night in a hotel with a very special person the other week, we went down for dinner and he said I will get a bottle of wine, told him that he would end up drinking best part of it, think he thought I was joking, guess who ended up worse for wear and it wasn’t me lol. Dinner was just the same, checked out the menu to see what would be suitable, started with soup, thinking I would have a couple of mouthfuls then wait for main course, the soup was wonderful and with chatting before I knew it the soup was all gone, goes to say when the main course arrived we both looked at it and both said you are not going to manage all that, I had some of it, I am a very cheap date now, glass of wine and a bowl of soup, done lol.
    Elaine xx

janie61

Regarding alcohol, I thought that it was banned. I have now heard of two people within my social circle who have died from alcohol due to transfer addiction.
    Jane

ebaa

I was thinking maybe a glass would be ok at christmas now thinking just a sip to be sociable !!!! X

Lauren
    Keymaster

@janie61 26842 wrote:

Regarding alcohol, I thought that it was banned. I have now heard of two people within my social circle who have died from alcohol due to transfer addiction.
    Jane

Transfer addiction is possible of course. However, it is actually quite rare. The fact that obese people can have an addictive personality to start with is somewhat obvious. Alcohol certainly isn’t banned but we just have to be very, very aware that we get intoxicated very quickly on relatively little. We also sober up just as quickly, therefore, we need to take extra care when deciding whether or not to have any alcohol at all.

I have a glass or two at very special occasions (I will be on Saturday night) but I NEVER drive afterwards: even after one small glass of wine. It is all down to personal responsibility don’t you think? If you fear you might be someone who would transfer an addiction, maybe it would be best to never try it.

This is the reason I have posted this thread – so that we can all discuss it together 😉

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

This will be one of those hot topics that often end up getting locked as the subject can be too hot for a sensible discussion.

Its best if you don’t but if you do then be man or women enough to accept the consequences if they turn out to be bad. There are quite a few documented cases of WLS patients putting all their weight back on because they chose to replace their food addiction with a bottle of wine a night, or more.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 26852 wrote:

This will be one of those hot topics that often end up getting locked as the subject can be too hot for a sensible discussion.

Its best if you don’t but if you do then be man or women enough to accept the consequences if they turn out to be bad. There are quite a few documented cases of WLS patients putting all their weight back on because they chose to replace their wood addiction with a bottle of wine a night, or more.

Paul

It’s true that this is a contentious subject Paul, but it’s a serious one that needs to be discussed and considered. If I had thought for one second that I might transfer my addiction from food to alcohol, I would not have let a single drop ever pass my lips again. However, I am fortunate enough not to have found this the case for me personally. Again, I would suggest therapy before wls. I spent three years working through how I got to be 26+ stone in the first place. I now have a much better understanding of how it happened and can take steps to make sure it is never repeated with another ‘substance’ (I think food addiction is every bit as dangerous/serious as alcoholism, smoking and drugs.)

We all need to be aware. Awareness comes with discussion and consideration. However, there is NO place for judgement here. Ever.

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Not that I would criticize anyone for having a Wood addiction:tape: or being Dyslexic like me

janie61

Sorry I didn’t want to cause any trouble. I personally will not drink having been a heavy smoker as well as being obese. I do not want to attempt fate. I just wanted to post this after hearing about these two people. Because it always seems that you hear about the bad things and not the good outcomes. For example can you live to old age after having surgery cos it seems that people will tell you the worst that is going to happen to you and not the positive. I know there are no guarantees to life but let’s hear some positives for a change. We deserve it.

katy

I have the occasional glass of wine on special occasions but I spread it out over the course of the evening as I feel tipsy very quickly!
    I didn’t drink for nearly a year and started having the odd small glass occasionally. Unfortunately i was found to have a small stomach ulcer so I knocked it on the head immediately. I am now fine (as of today) so will enjoy a small glass when I go out to a concert tonight.
    I don’t see any harm as long as you are careful and fully understand how you feel emotionally. I also never drive if I have a drink. In the early stages it is not advised to drink due to the need for your insides to heal and then what’s the point as it is just empty calories!
    I think what I am trying to say is use with caution!
    Katy

Lauren
    Keymaster

Those three words sum it up perfectly ‘use with caution’.

Don’t apologise Janie. We don’t shy away from anything on here. It’s the reason I posted it. It needs to be discussed. Lets all try to be positive, remain focused and achieve what we set out to do: live healthier and happier lives: for longer.

Doodah xx

Paul-H
    Participant

The way I look at it is to take the simple view, I am a man so I can do that, before anyone says anything.

For me the way WLS surgery works is not only by the effect of the surgery directly, ie restricting and reducing the amount of food I can eat but also through aversion therapy, ie if I eat high fat or high sugar content foods or consume high calorie drinks I may be ill and in some cases very ill. In my case I don’t want to risk the possibility that I might be very ill so I don’t consume the things we have all been told not to consume. The trouble with trying these things is that you might find you are one of the few patients that they do not make ill, in those cases you then loose the aversion therapy aspect as you can now consume things that you shouldn’t from a weightloss point of view. If you are one of those people who is to say you won’t consume them to excess, after all that’s how we got to the position of needing WLS, because we got addicted to food and consumed far too much.

I know in my case I do everything to the extreme, when I used to smoke I was a heavy smoker, when I used to drink I was a heavy drinker, when I used to eat I was a heavy eater, when ever I start a new hobby I have to have the best equipment and the most equipment. I know I have an addictive personality and I know i am using that to help me maintain my Weight post surgery.

Buy all means have a drink just watch what you do and don’t let it control your life and if you do transfer your addiction don’t let it be for drink.

Don’t take this as preaching I am just trying to help as is everyone else who has posted.

Remember a glass or two of wine might be fine but ten Jack Daniels is not.

All the best for Christmas

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 26881 wrote:

The way I look at it is to take the simple view, I am a man so I can do that, before anyone says anything.

For me the way WLS surgery works is not only by the effect of the surgery directly, ie restricting and reducing the amount of food I can eat but also through aversion therapy, ie if I eat high fat or high sugar content foods or consume high calorie drinks I may be ill and in some cases very ill. In my case I don’t want to risk the possibility that I might be very ill so I don’t consume the things we have all been told not to consume. The trouble with trying these things is that you might find you are one of the few patients that they do not make ill, in those cases you then loose the aversion therapy aspect as you can now consume things that you shouldn’t from a weightloss point of view. If you are one of those people who is to say you won’t consume them to excess, after all that’s how we got to the position of needing WLS, because we got addicted to food and consumed far too much.

I know in my case I do everything to the extreme, when I used to smoke I was a heavy smoker, when I used to drink I was a heavy drinker, when I used to eat I was a heavy eater, when ever I start a new hobby I have to have the best equipment and the most equipment. I know I have an addictive personality and I know i am using that to help me maintain my Weight post surgery.

Buy all means have a drink just watch what you do and don’t let it control your life and if you do transfer your addiction don’t let it be for drink.

Don’t take this as preaching I am just trying to help as is everyone else who has posted.

Remember a glass or two of wine might be fine but ten Jack Daniels is not.

All the best for Christmas

Paul

Well said Paul. Everything in moderation is excellent advice but oh so difficult to follow if you have (like me) an addictive personality. My therapy helped me to understand why I felt the need to get addicted to things so that I can avoid it now. It will always be there threatening to take over but I keep the little swine gagged with the wonderment of being happier and healthier. Did have a bit of a blip earleir in the year when I thought my transfer addiction was shopping mind! I have managed to nip that little demon in the bud now too 😉 Like I said: a constant battle.

Doodah x

78rpm

some wise words myself I have gone from being able to drink 5 + bottles of wine with no change to nowadays a bottle of wine would have me floored. I have to say I like being a cheap date as it grounds me in my thinking again I wont drink anything and then drive I also monitor what how and when I drink so that I dont break my set weight bandings having said that I dont stop myself enjoying things its just that I dont have anything to prove so a glass or two on occasion isnt the end of the world I just lie in my set weight banding and ensure I get my protein and water no matter what.

rgds

Jay

Deifersmum
    Participant

HI

Great thread, very informative and useful. Last christmas was my first following wls and I was very cautious, one small glass of white wine and soda was more than enough in fact I never finished a glass last year, this year I can just about manage one glass throughout the whole evening, as ganny said we’re very cheap dates…. We all have problems on here with compulsive tendencies, we wouldn’t be here if we didn’t, but we’ve recognised this and with some common sense we can all enjoy ourselves, not just over christmas but beyond and have good enjoyable, long healthy lives.

Love to all.
    Lesley
    xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media