Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Eating with band

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • Author
    Lauren
    Keymaster

MMM, cottage pie. Such fab comfort food on these awful cold, miserable days. We bypassers have to be careful with sauces! they are full of sugar :-O

Doodah x

natalieyoung

Oh I was not told anything about sugar maybe the yr sauce was bad then! I find my appetite is increasing. Is this normal with the band

Lauren
    Keymaster

We bypassers have to be careful of sauces, pickles, relishes even canned food as they use so much sugar!!

I think bandsters can sometimes (not always) feel a bit hungry until they have had their first fill. However, don’t confuse it for either head hunger or dehydration. It’s more important to keep your fluids up than practically anyhting else – bypass or band. Many times I have thought I felt hungry and been schocked buy it, only to realise I needed a drink.

It’s all a massive learning curve isn’t it Natalie? And people say it’s the ‘Easy way out’!!

Doodah x

natalieyoung

Indeed it is. Maybe will have some water and see how I feel. I think my stomach healing as I am able to eat. Had small bowl of cornflakes this morning and two hours later was hungry

Lauren
    Keymaster

It doesn’t have to be water. Tea, coffee (decaf is best), sugar free sqash are all just as good 😉

natalieyoung

Should everything be decaf, I have even drinking normal tea and coffee! Had some sugar free squash but have to say having some hunger pains today!

@natalieyoung 26691 wrote:

Should everything be decaf, I have even drinking normal tea and coffee! Had some sugar free squash but have to say having some hunger pains today!

Hi Natialie

Caffeine will make you more dehydrated more quickly, it doesn’t mean you can’t drink things with it in but you need to cut down the caffeine intake, if you can manage drinks without it in all the better. No added sugar squash is fine but if like me it has to be very weak now post op, but I had a bypass but I am some days really struggling with dehydration despite how much I drink. As Doodah says its all a learning curve! Every one learns by their mistakes and one thing bypasses can suffer from that banisters don’t is ‘dumping syndrome’ which I hear is very unpleasant, I thought I had had it two weeks post op but no I was dehydrated, now I have lots of bottles of water in the car my bag and around the house. I never been a big drinker, hate tea and coffee so not used to having a mug in my hand!

Claire

Lauren
    Keymaster

Having bottles of water dotted around the house helps immensely! Yes decaf is best but if you hate it and don’t drink, it’s counterprouctive in itself!

Trial and a fair bit of error in the esrly days is to be expected. Goodness knows I made plenty! We really do live and learn – constantly 😉

Doodah x

natalieyoung

Thanks girls I think maybe the swelling is gone now so hungrier.

natalieyoung

Hi Kerrie well just like you said willpower is stopping u eating is the same now with me. I don’t feel any restriction. Have had more food today then in the last week which worried me. Not due a fill til 8th of December. Maybe when we get a fill the restriction will return.

Lauren
    Keymaster

This is when you need to draw on the willpower you had when you were doing the pre op diet. Remember how focused you were then and try to be the same. It’s only for a few weeks – literally! You managed the pre op diet because you knew what was at stake and how important it was, therefore, you KNOW you can do it.

Keep coming back here for positive reinforcement!! We will all keep encouraging you. If you feel a bit of a ‘binge’ coming on – come on here instead. We are the people who know exactly how you feel. We are life rafts for each other when the going gets tough and a warm, congratulatory arm around the shoulder when you have reached on of your milestones.

Remember, it’s just a few weeks. You will have the whole of your life ahead of you – one where you will be happier and healthier than you ever thought possible.

Doodah x

Viewing 11 posts - 31 through 41 (of 41 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media