Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Eating loads while waiting for first fill on gastric band!!

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Band operation » The first 6 months of the Gastric Band » Eating loads while waiting for first fill on gastric band!!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    hevthefev

Hi all,had my gastric band op on 8th may 2012,first week only ate small amounts but now band has settled find myself going back to my bad old ways and troughing like a pig…..boo hoo wish I had have gone for the bypass. Very concerned that after my long road to get here I have spoiled it all………Please help!

Sammy39

Hey Hev!

I had mine on the 6th and am in exactly the same boat. To be honest I’m struggling a little and my weight loss has virtually stopped, despite the fact I am on roughly around 1200 calories daily. My first band fill is on the 9th June, so it’s perhaps slightly earlier than most – I’m trying to keep occupied because I’m not convinced I’m actually hungry – although if you heard my tummy rumble you would think I was starving! I’ve taken to cup soups and options hot chocs – they seem to pacify the rumbling beast for a short while! But to be honest – I’m not really sure what I should be doing. I’m just muddling through.

Keep in touch

Sammy

hides

Hello hev and sammy

Can i say this is all very normal untill you start having your fills. I’m 7 months down the lane, and it’s not all that easy i can tell you. I only have 5 1/2 mls in my band and i’m sick 2 or 3 times a week….. I know this is down to eating too fast sometimes…… But i cant imagen having another fill right now 🙁 . But having said all that each of us are different and you may have no problems at all.

So just do as you’re doing now, keeping track of the cals, and make healthier chioces were you can.

Heidi

Hi Hev and Sammy, I felt like that too before my first fill but just worked to maintain the weight I had lost instead of trying to loose more. I had my first fill 6 weeks after my band (23rd March). i am due Another fill this friday (4 weeks) but not sure if I need it as still very restricted.
    Wishing for the bypass wont make you feel any different as we all have try and t the right things and you can still stretch your pouchon the bypass! Personally I have a treat, albeit a smallone, once a week and it makes you feel like you are not loosing out.

Girls just try to maintain if you can. i know it sounds crazy but I talk to my grumbling tummy and drink plenty.

try not to beat yourself up about it ladies, is will take time and we have only just started our journey 🙂

Keep us posted…….

hevthefev

Hi Sammy,sorry to hear your struggling also but in the same breath I’m glad I’m not alone lol…….good luck with your first fill and please let me know how it goes,roll on the 18th for me x

hevthefev

Thanks Heidi will keep you posted x

hevthefev

Thanks Sam will take your advice on board xx nice to know you folks are out there x

Sammy39

Sam and Heidi – thanks do much for your words of advice! I’m so glad to hear from you. I never thought about maintaining… I am so trying to keep going, but let’s face it, I was no good at behaving before the band, which is why I had it!! I’m looking forward to working with it. Right now I feel like I’m flying solo (with the exception of you guys as co-pilots!)

Hev – keep in touch! I’ll certainly be letting you know how it goes. I’m so glad I’ve got someone who is so close to me in terms of steps forward. I dare not believe I’ll get as far as Heidi, Sam, Nettie, Doodah… The bar has been set soooo high! Lol

Sammy

hevthefev

Hi Sammy,know what you mean about getting as far as Heidi Sam and Nettie,seems surreal the idea of me getting slimmer! May seem silly but have sold a lot of my bigger clothes on eBay and bought some second hand lovely designer clothes as small as wait for it…………SIze 16/18! Keep dragging them out of the wardrobe and touching them wistfully lol

Hi you guys, please dont feel the bar is set too high, I think we all have those days and weeks when we struggle, I am at the moment by not being able to digst food (probably becuase I am not chewing as much as I should, which is the biggest thing to try and conquer :() the next stage for your guys…

Its all such abig learning curve which we are all here to help support.

I felt like you when you say you feel like your flying solo as thought the bariatric dietitians would be more involved and am quite dissapointed in that…..so the best thingis for us to stick together and share the journey.

Its good to stick with someone thats going through at the same time, I have that too.

Good to do the smaller size clothes as it gives the incentive to work at it and the excitementat of getting into them……..

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi guys

You are all so early on in your journies that you may have to keep consulting the map so please don’t beat yourselves up over how hard it is.
    Us bypassers are ‘fixed’ physically from the get go whereas you bandsters have to wait a while. I can’t imagine how hard that must be. I think aiming to maintain is a fantastic and totally realistic goal. The dietitians can help you if you keep asking so never feel that you are being a nuisance. I phoned mine 2-3 times a week in the early stages!! However, they can’t fix you overnight. Even bypassers, who are fixed internally from the first day, struggle with head hunger: it’s totally normal. It’s the reason we are all on this forum in my humble opinion. I could always ignore the physical pain of hunger but the mental torture was got me to 26+ stone.

We are all here for each other – you are SO right about that. Just knowing that someone else REALLY understands is such a blessing isn’t it?

Doodah x

Nettie

Hi Guys,

Sorry I haven’t been around for the last week or so to offer support (my husband and I seperated last week so it’s been a tough time)

So, you feel like you’re failing? You feel like you should have had a bypass? You feel like you’re going to be the only person that can’t lose weight with a gastric band? All in all you feel pretty let down and that you might have pinned all your hopes on this band thing and it was a mistake.

How do I know you’re feeling like this you may ask, well guess what, we all feel that way, well I certainly did anyway. I knew someone that had a bypass the day before I had my band and the weight flew off her straight away and I was really struggling but I soon caught up. You have made the right decision, the band is right for you otherwise your surgeons wouldn’t have allowed you to have one. Just relax and follow the advice of maintaining your weight loss so far, I promise you faithfully that once you start having fills regularly you will see results and your band will become your very best friend and maybe your worst enemy sometimes when you want to stuff your face but it wont let you!

Take heart from me, I don’t advocate this behaviour but the night before my first fill I sat and ate a whole pizza, yes a family size one! I remember my husband saying to me ” I thought you weren’t able to eat lots, you can eat as much as you could before your op” I just sat and ate another slice and replied “maybe it hasn’t worked” I’m now 6 stone and 10lbs lighter and can’t even face the thought of a slice of pizza let alone a whole family sized one. And that was less than a year ago.

It will come good for you all, work with your band but don’t get disheartened whilst it’s being adjusted to your needs. If I’m honest I think that pre band more work should be done to prepare patients for this interim stage as I certainly thought it would be working well from the word go, I certainly didn’t expect to be able to eat a whole pizza.

Keep posting, keep supporting eachother and keep possitive, I’ll try and be around a bit more for you guys too.

Nettie xx

hides

Hi nettie

I’m so sorry to hear about you and hubby… I do hope you are ok.

I love it when you reply to the others and offer them positive thoughts, cos i feel like things are going nowhere fast at the moment. I’m 4 stone 3 lbs loss, but i get days when i cant eat anything apart from biscuits and soup..( 4 days of sickness, everytime i sat down for a meal )… Then i get days like today when the roast has gone down 🙂 and then a small pudding 🙂 , and now i just want to pick…. 🙁 . You’d think the weight would be falling off, but it’s not…..

Please could you give me a general breakdown of a days food for you at the moment…… I just cant imagen getting to 5 stone at the moment , never mind nearly 7 . Wow you must be so happy with yourself at the moment . 🙂 .

A very stuck heidi . X

Nettie

@hides 24003 wrote:

Hi nettie

I’m so sorry to hear about you and hubby… I do hope you are ok.

I love it when you reply to the others and offer them positive thoughts, cos i feel like things are going nowhere fast at the moment. I’m 4 stone 3 lbs loss, but i get days when i cant eat anything apart from biscuits and soup..( 4 days of sickness, everytime i sat down for a meal )… Then i get days like today when the roast has gone down 🙂 and then a small pudding 🙂 , and now i just want to pick…. 🙁 . You’d think the weight would be falling off, but it’s not…..

Please could you give me a general breakdown of a days food for you at the moment…… I just cant imagen getting to 5 stone at the moment , never mind nearly 7 . Wow you must be so happy with yourself at the moment . 🙂 .

A very stuck heidi . X

Hi Heidi,

I think maybe you are at the stage I was around Xmas time, the weight was coming off but quite slowly and it was disheartening for me I had to take the plunge and go a little tighter even though I knew it would mean saying goodbye to lots of the foods I loved, I guess it was a bit of a greiving process and although I knew I needed to tighten I knew I would lose the foods that had been my crutch for many years. I went tighter and since Xmas I haven’t looked back. Don’t get me wrong I hate my band when it punishes me, but lets face it I paid £6,000 for it to work so why waste the money and just have it sat there only half active. My band punishes me regularly when I break the rules and I hate the pain of that and the discomfort of the productive burb but it’s always my own fault usually for eating too much too fast, if I stick to the rules I don’t get punished it’s as simple as that.

As for a days food intake it looks a bit like this most days.

Breakfast: fruit smoothy, can’t eat anything else in the morning sometimes a drinking yoghurt will go down but not always, every day differs with what the band will accept and thats due to hydration levels mostly.
    Mid morning: Baby bell cheese full fat chewed to disgusting levels of mush or it will come straight back. Sometimes I have a cheese dipper thing but that isn’t usually that successfull.
    Lunch: Soup most days just half a bowl, with extra cheese for protein and calories, believe me it’s hard to get enough calories in if I don’t top up with full fat cheese and the protein is so important.
    Mid afternoon: Slimfast shake, hate them but again need the calories and protein.
    Dinner: A ramekin dish of some caserole or sauce based meal, I can’t eat dry food it doesn’t go down and more than a ramekin dish comes back up.
    Evening: Another delightful slimfast shake if I’m low on calories or a yoghurt.
    Bedtime: 1/2 pint hot milk and sweetners, I was once told by an old fashioned weight watchers leader that milk is essential when you are losing weight as it helps the elasticity of your skin, so I stick with that theory.
    And that’s a day in the life of the contents of my stomach, on a bad day it ends up in the loo and on a good day I keep it all down, there is no sense to it some days my band is good and some days it isn’t but it’s usually down to the way I eat.
    Hope that helps Heidi, take care my love and keep up the good work.

Nettie xx
    Lunch

hides

Hi nettie

Thanks so much that really helps me…. Last week everytime i sat down for my evening(tea) meal i’d be running to the loo. Some days i eat too fast, i still find it hard to slow down.

My average day is…. Special k for breakfast or a slimfast shake. Lunch is soup most days , and my evening meal is now either stir fry or mashed potato with something….. I can eat more then a ramikin size portion, but not a side plate size ( somewhere between ). My problem is i have got into the habit of having a slimfast choc bar mid day and then 2 crackers with light cheese spread in the evening. I haven’t counted cals as such, but i think i will try and keep a record from tomorrow. Think some of my naughty habits creep in when i’m having a bad day with my band 🙁 .

Might have to take the plunge with the fill, but i’m scared if i was honest as i dont want not to be able to eat anything when we all sit down for dinner. 🙁 . Sometimes now i’ll eat cos it’s that time….. Rather then actually needing to cos i’m hungry. ……….. Still learning i guess.

Thanks nettie
    Heidi 🙂 .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media