Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Eating & Drinking out

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author
    tls1974

When eating out, I usually either have a starter as my main and a pud (yes, I know it’s bad but I don’t eat out often!) or just a main course and only expect to eat half of it.

I know some of you might find it a bit strange to ask restaurant staff for a starter dish as your main, but I’ve never had anyone question that in the six years since my op. It’s all money to the restaurant – they don’t care what order you eat your meal in.

And get your glasses of wine in before you start eating, obviously! 😉

Anonymous

Former fatties are cheap dates thats for sure LMAO….
    Give it time and you should be able to entertain most foods you used to if you really need to, just smaller ammounts.
    Sticking to a heathier lifestyle and making better choices is all part of the process…

Makes me wonder if going on All inclusive holidays is still worth the money, especially as I am not a drinker….???

Food on tap just isnt as appealing as it used to be…..

Food for thought…

Bovrilbody

I went out for a meal a couple of times at the end of last week. The first one being a formal dinner and I had Salmon & new potatoes followed by fresh fruit salad, there was a long, long gap between the courses because there were such a lot of us to serve so this helped. Then on Sunday my brother was 60 and my eldest grandson was 3, so of course we had to go out for a family meal. I had Fishermans pie followed by jelly & ice cream. I didn’t eat all the Fishermans pie, but shared it with my youngest grandson but I’m sure when I’m a bit further down the way I would manage it as it wasn’t that big a portion. If you look carefully at the menu’s most places will have something that you can eat and enjoy. I did stick to drinking just water as I have never been much of a drinker (of alcohol) and I can’t have fizzy or sugary drinks so thought that was safest.

catkin

I have asked for a starter as a main too.
    I have also ordered from the childrens menu. My eldest ate the adult dinner and I had his child one! No complaints from my son on that one!!
    For me the hardest thing is not finishing my plate of food – something the fat me always did.
    I ask for water with my meal. It is a waste paying for a drink as I can’t eat and drink together.
    I find a long leisurely meal easy to cope with, it is when I have to eat in a hurry that it is a problem. I would rather not eat at all as I get full up with the first mouthful that then gives me a tummy ache and then I am hungry again 30 minutes later. I have been known to carry a sandwhich round in my handbag all afternoon which I nibble on to avoid that!!

jacquie

Hi Everyone,

Just a quick question, i am going out tonight for a meal as its my birthday on Monday and i wondered if i could have one glass of wine for the eve, i am only just over 3 weeks post op, (bypass)
    I suppose i’m afraid of dumping in the middle of the pub lol,
    Any tips gratefully received
    Thanks Guys
    Jacquie

Claire

Hi Jacquie

I would say no, best to steer clear… All teh advice I’ve seen (and it does vary from surgeon to surgeon) is total abstinance for up to 12 months. IMO I would say 3 weeks would be far too soon… If I were you I’d skip it tonight (you are still healing after all) then give the team a call on Monday to find out what they advise for the future…

Have a great evening tonight and happy birthday for Monday 😀

xxx

cherylp

When you go out for a drink – what do you drink? Cant have carbonated drinks- if you dont want alcohol- what then? orange juice may have extra sugar- I quite often have lime and water but that has sugar in it. Any suggestions?

Claire

Hey Cheryl

Welcome to the forum. 🙂

It’s a bit of a tough one isn’t it? I normally stand at the bar for about 5 minutes going “ummm, errrrr, ummmm, errrr…. I’ll have a bottle of still water with a couple of slices of lemon please!” 😉

Occasionally, I’ll have a coffee but only if they have decaf and I’m in the right mood. Sometimes I’ll go for a juice, but not very often as empty calories.

Be interesting to see if anyone has any better suggestions 🙂

xxx

monkey girl

Hi Cheryl,
    I have found that if I put ice or a little water into a fizzy drink it kills the fizz,not quite as refreshing but at least you dont miss out completely. I also mix fruit juice with water too.
    I am 2 years post bypass and it’s surprising what you get used to. My family are horrified when I ask them to leave my diet coke to go warm and flat, but I love it!

One word of warning regarding alcohol. I have become a really cheap date since the op as just half a glass of wine leaves me absoloutly trolleyd. It goes straight to your head, which can be fun of course, just be aware.
    Ruth

Culbert

You are absolutely right… There is need of awarence to restaurant manager regarding this…
    A manager can do in simple way that we can’t with hard work…

Culbert

I use meat just after the drinking….
    I strictly prohibit to danker the use of sweets that can be dangerous for our health at the spot..

ScIymgeour

Well I use to drink Coke and Some sort of fruits juices . I usually drink after eating food . What do you people drink ? .

Doodah
    Keymaster

In the early stages, it’s probably best to avoid alcohol altogether (sorry) as it is full of sugars and calories. You may dump on it and it makes you squiffy VERY quickly.

On a more serious note, bypassers process the alcohol very quickly which obviously leads to rapid intoxication. This is a problem for those of us who drive as, although you might be below the legal limit for alcohol and driving, physically and physiologically you could be incapable. It would also render you less capable to make decisions so your overall safety could be compromised (bad decisions can lead to bad situations)

Sorry to sound like such a killjoy but we need to be aware of such things. I’m three years out and can have 2-3 small glasses of wine on special occasions but only do so if I am with others and have a designated driver. I’ve been to 3 weddings in the past 6 months and drank throughout the day at all of them. I was ok and had a fabulous time but they were special occasions.

Hope you find this helpfull.

ps For the first year, I avoided alcohol altogether but gradually introduced watered down wine, flat beer and clear spirits with sugar free cordials. Tea and coffee are great alternatives and keep you WARM.

Doodah x

Fenella

I usually order tomato juice. Tomorrow I’m going to a big do where I think there will be toasts etc so tonight – in the safety of my home – I’m soon going to try a sherry glass of flat v dry prosecco and see how it affects me. Watch this space!!! Fee (4.5 weeks post bypass).

I was told to avoid alcohol completely for the first 12 months post bypass by all at Streamline (surgeons and dietitions)
    Please be careful you may be able to physically drink it no problem
    however it is not good for your new ”plumbing” insides
    Especially at only 4 and a half weeks post op
    This is way way too early
    Take care

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media