Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Eating and Drinking after Gastric Sleeve

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Other Bariatric Surgeries and Plastic Surgery » Eating and Drinking after Gastric Sleeve

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    betty boo

Going out shopping tomorrow to get food for after my op on tuesday, any ideas for me, or things i must have please

BETTY BOO XX

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Betty Boo

I would suggest thin soup for the first few days although when I had my bypass I lost my appetite completely and my sense of smell really changed, so much that everything that I had prepared I ended up throwing away because the smell made me nauseous, but everyone is different, just go for liquid and anything you can mash up to sloppy consistency.

You didn’t say when your op is but whenever it is good luck and let us know how you get on.

Love
    Lesley
    xx

Janifred

Bettyboo there is a website called ‘the world according to eggface’ which has given me my inspiration, recipes, someone elses journey blog and a shopping list for your larder. Most items can be obtained here, but under another name. I am trying out some of the lunch box recipes at the mo. I am preparing too as July is the bypass date. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

Fenella

Have you bought the bariatric cookery book by member of this forum – Carol? I’m bringing mine into hospital so u can see. We are both this Tuesday at Harrow.

Ms Ellie

@betty boo 15456 wrote:

Going out shopping tomorrow to get food for after my op on tuesday, any ideas for me, or things i must have please

BETTY BOO XX

Hi there Betty boo as lesley has said above thin soups and stuff that you can easily mash up. I certainly wouldn’t go to mad as you may fancy something now and then after your surgery you may not fancy it at all.

Just want to wish you the very best of luck and I am so looking forward to welcoming you to the losers bench xxx

dawndee2002

I had the gastric sleeve done almost 6 months ago and I was wondering if anyone knows when can. You start drinking in or right after a meal? I know you have to wait 30 minutes after you eat and then 30 minutes after you eat but all I want to do after I eat is drink something and it drives me crazy that I have to wait. Thanks for taking the time to read .

SJ

Whilst not an expert on sleeves I am pretty sure the drinking rule is the same for all other wls and that is it is for life! There are some who advocate eating and drinking, but my understanding is that it is best to stick to the no drinking rule to avoid stretching your pouch etc. Some docs say 30 minutes after a meal, there are some who say 1 1/2 hours (can’t imagine that!).

So, I would say that you should speak to your team, but I think that it is something to get used to!

SJ
    x

dawndee2002

Thanks I had a feeling it was a life time thing but had to ask and I will be asking my surgeon when I see him again. And I wouldn’t be able to last 1 1/2 hours to have a drink …. But I understand the reasoning behind it all.

Ms Ellie

I find this very difficult to do, I’ve always had a drink with my meal and having to wait that 30 mins after food is awful!!! And if I’m right you should not drink 30 minutes before having food aswell, please correct me if I’m wrong here guys.

Much love Ellie x

SJ

You are right Ms Ellie, 30 minutes before as well. Although I have also been told that about 15 minutes pre-meal is fine. I definately stick to a minimum of 30 minutes afterwards though and some days it is agony waiting for a drink!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media