Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Eating – part 3

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author

Hi I am 4 months post op. I had a gastric bypass. Could anyone please tell me if wine can stretch my pouch?
    Thanks
    Trudi

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Trudi and welcome to the forum. I’m also a bypasser, mine was done in April 14.

The advice from the surgical team is clear, best avoid alcohol entirely for 12 months. It is full of sugar, which can lead to dumping and interfere with weight loss. Also, it loosens inhibitions which could lead to making unwise food choices.

After 12 months, I think the idea is to go very easy with any alcohol for the same reasons. Also, because we have new “plumbing”, our absorption changes and there is a tendency to get drunk quickly. I’ve heard others say they’re a cheap date these days.

That’s not to say a few sips of wine on a special occasion will derail you. I’m not a drinker myself and others may have words of wisdom. I can only say what I was told.

Chris x

Kimberly
    Participant

Chris is right , the advice is to avoid for the first year . Also you get really drunk so quickly on a couple of mouthful !!! So be very careful

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Trudi and welcome to our friendly forum.

The above lovely people are right. Alcohol is not encouraged for at least 12 months post wls for the reasons Kim and Chris have given, plus a few other reasons such as cross-addiction and driving laws etc.

Many of us find we don’t drink again whilst others just have the odd one on high days and holidays. I personally only have a drink at Christmas/weddings/parties etc. I don’t miss it at all.

Anyway, once again, welcome, and please ask away about anything. None of us are shy!

Doodah x

treeza

Hi Trudi & welcome. Congratulations on your bypass. Wine shouldn’t stretch you pouch but they advise not to drink for a year. As everyone had already said it’s high on sugar & can cause dumping. You also get very drink very quickly. I didn’t drink for near on 18 months & had a few drinks a couple weeks ago & can testify that you do get drunk very quickly. You also sober up quickly mind. Be very careful if your drinking as you will be affected more on less alcohol.

I was virtually t total prior to surgery if I’m honest & usually have fun no matter what especially now I’m 13 stone lighter :0))

Lauren
    Keymaster

Weight loss surgery patients are ‘more likely’ to become dependent on alcohol | Daily Mail Online

This post isn’t meant to scare you, it is to remind us ALL that we should treat alcohol with great suspicion after wls. It has no nutritional value, is full of sugar and calories, it weakens resolve which might result in an eating binge and it can make you unfit to drive, even though technically, you will still be legally fit to drive.

So, there we go. On very special occasions, I let my hair down and have a few classes of rose wine or champagne. I make sure I don’t have to drive and that I am in very safe company.

Please don’t think I am being bossy or nagging about this – I’m 100% only interested in your health and personal safety.

Doodah x

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media