Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Eating – part 2

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author
    scpayne76

Day 8 and I am struggling with eating the thicker variety of puréed food eg fish in sauce, chicken. It really hurts sometimes. Any advice please? I’m fine with soup, yoghurts, drinks. Maybe I should stick to sloppy stuff ?

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi,

I don’t intend to sound flippant but I think you answered your own question there my friend 🙂

it is very important to listen to your body, if something doesn’t feel right, leave it be for now. If you find you can only manage soup and yoghurt, there is plenty of protein there to sustain you and you have months and years ahead in which you’ll be able to introduce new things and find a balanced diet that’s right for you. You can always speak to a member of your team if your very worried but it sounds to me like you’re doing fine

Chris x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Unless the information has changed in the last couple of years you should be on purée food for 4 weeks, if so then by introducing thicker foods after only 8 days then you are rushing things a bit.

Slow down and follow the advice you where given before your surgery, you should have been given a booklet with everything you need to know in it.

Paul

I did have a bit of chicken, but I whizzed it and then puréed it to the consistency of baby food. I ate with a tea spoon and a very little at a time, just like weaning a baby. When you do get to 4 weeks it is so good to move on, so one step at a time.

bikerchris
    Participant

You could also try adding extra stock or sauce to your meal before pureeing. I seem to recall the guidebook saying to get a sloppy consistency. But given sloppy is a subjective term, adding more liquid could help you out.

Chris x

scpayne76

Hi all. Thanks. I follow the booklet to the law. It says week1-4 puréed food and fish was one of the examples. Perhaps I just need it thinner. More sauce next time!
    Managed shepherds pie today with no issues.

audrasharon

Just adding abut more sauce for a week then try again. Don’t worry it will be fine. Slow and steady , follow the basic rules and of course listen to yourself or (sorry) go with your gut instinct, the you won’t go far wrong. X

Lauren
    Keymaster

Every bit of advice above is spot on. The guidelines are a one-size-fits-all type of thing – they don’t suit everyone. It’s always best to follow your own body’s needs. I have to admit that I didn’t go onto pureed for ages. In fact I always went further on each part that was stated in the handouts. Much has changed since I had mine 6 years ago though!

Doodah x

scpayne76

I think things have changed as you are on puréed when you leave the hospital! My first meal was puréed chicken and mash in Chichester so I Have been following that plan

Lauren
    Keymaster

@scpayne76 32782 wrote:

I think things have changed as you are on puréed when you leave the hospital! My first meal was puréed chicken and mash in Chichester so I Have been following that plan

It really has changed. I was in St Richard’s and didn’t have any ‘real’ food for ages. I made sure I kept to the guidelines though as it really was my last chance at a normal life so I din’t want to anything wrong haha! My OCD helped enormously!!

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

It’s ok to take it slowly , fish is difficult and I still find it difficult to digest and I’m a year out at the end of this month .its strange some days it’s easy to digest meat and other days it’s impossible , I eat a lot of vegetarian food for the first six months , not from an ethical view but just because I found it easier to keep down . Now I can eat steak , chicken . I always cook the chicken in roasting bags it seems to make the meat moist .

Lauren
    Keymaster

I still can’t eat animal protein after 6 years. It doesn’t bother me in the slightest as I already didn’t eat fish and pork! Plus, I am such a huge animal lover that it sort of fits who I am now.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

@scpayne76 32782 wrote:

How are you doing ? Is it getting a tiny bit easier . It’s still early days so be kind to your self , keep up your fluids , and rest . I don’t think we give our self credit for the toil it takes on our bodies , it’s major surgery . So be gentle on yoir self and allow your self to heal .

scpayne76

Hi there. Food is better! Taking it slowly and really sticking to the guidelines. I’ve been signed off work until next week but I’m hoping I’ll be back next Thursday.
    Thank you.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@scpayne76 32810 wrote:

Hi there. Food is better! Taking it slowly and really sticking to the guidelines. I’ve been signed off work until next week but I’m hoping I’ll be back next Thursday.
    Thank you.

That’s great news – on all counts. Can I just say though – don’t rush back to work until you are sure you are absolutely ready. Your body (and mind) have gone through some hugely significant changes and is still working hard for you. So pleased to hear things have improved 😉

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media