Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Dumping Syndrome

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • Author
    katy

Thanks for the support guys, I have to admit to having had a rather rubbish weekend but I’m feeling brighter today. I spent yesterday looking at the posts on food suggestions and went through Carole’s book with a fine tooth comb. I then took myself to sainsburys today and got myself a good selection of ‘safe’ (hopefully) and varied food and am going to try and introduce stuff really slowly. It’s quite liberating at the moment but I pray for no more dumps for a while anyway!! X

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi guys

It’s actually quite a good thing that you have found out that you do dump, now hopefully you will never go near sweet products again for fear of dumping (it’s called Aversion therapy), I feel sorry those with there food addiction who found out after surgery that they don’t dump on high sugar, fat or alcohol. These are often the patients that struggle after WLS as they find it easy to slip back to there old ways, so well done you being a dumper.

Paul

hazelann70

You are right Paul. I can eat whatever I like which is a total curse. Mind you, saying that, on the way to the wholesalers on Sunday we went for a breakfast carvery. I had 2 bits of bacon, an egg, some fried potato slices, beans and a tomato. Enjoyed every mouthful but by the time I got to the first wholesaler I was on the pan. Yet if I had eaten a load of shit for breakfast it probably wouldn’t have affected me. I find it so strange that I can go weeks without a reaction to anything – lardy bread, flapjacks, you name it I eat it and never react yet have something like a nice breakfast and it set me off. There is no reasoning for it all. I get so pissed off that I can eat so much and do wonder what my future is as I’ve obviously not lost the bad eating habbits. Each day is the start of being good but each day I go to bed wondering if there will ever be an end to my lack of willpower and uselessness. Half a stone gained now FFS

I’m not sure it’s true that people who don’t dump struggle with WLS. I don’t think I’m a dumper … OJ has not made me dump but even if I find I’m not I am determined to succeed. I have really bad head hunger as I have an addiction to food but I am using my RNY my psychologist and my personal willpower to overcome this addiction to food… Dumping might be helpful but it’s not the be all .. I gave up smoking and I am determined that I will use this opportunity to reset my relationship with food … If I can achieve this without dumping then I will be extra proud of myself cx

Paul-H
    Participant

I obviously am very new to all this, and there is one thing I cannot get my head around.

We are over weight because of the food choices that we make

We have a bypass to help us take control of those food choices

We know there is a good chance that if we eat the wrong food it will make us ill (Dumping) or if it dosent make us ill it will make us fat again.

If the above is true why do we even attempt these foods after WLS. I am not going to even try it, just in case it makes me ill.

Or have I missed something here, Appologies if I have.

Paul

Thais

Well done squeakyfruitbat, good thinking…please pass on to me some of this great way of thinking, I’m so worry about failing that I think I’m going to fail just to prove me right, is been only four weeks and I’m doing quite well I would say, exercising, eating by the book but as I haven’t got much confident in myself I keep thinking; what about in a year? what about in two? what if I can’t be strong enough?…..my head is playing tricks and a part of my subconscious is telling me; you never succeed before you might no do it his time either, has anybody knows how to switch off the voice in my head?????

katy
    Paul-H wrote:
    I obviously am very new to all this, and there is one thing I cannot get my head around.

We are over weight because of the food choices that we make

We have a bypass to help us take control of those food choices

We know there is a good chance that if we eat the wrong food it will make us ill (Dumping) or if it dosent make us ill it will make us fat again.

If the above is true why do we even attempt these foods after WLS. I am not going to even try it, just in case it makes me ill.

Or have I missed something here, Appologies if I have.

Paul

I’m with you Paul. I’m afraid of it happening particularly when I’m not at home, so my food choices are heavily impacted by this. As you, I’m new to this so I’m trying something new every day and building up a list of stuff that I enjoy, is healthy and doesn’t make me dump….and if something does, then I know not to go there again but I’m becoming an avid label reader so I don’t take any chances!
    K x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@squeakyfruitbat 22222 wrote:

I’m not sure it’s true that people who don’t dump struggle with WLS. I don’t think I’m a dumper … OJ has not made me dump but even if I find I’m not I am determined to succeed. I have really bad head hunger as I have an addiction to food but I am using my RNY my psychologist and my personal willpower to overcome this addiction to food… Dumping might be helpful but it’s not the be all .. I gave up smoking and I am determined that I will use this opportunity to reset my relationship with food … If I can achieve this without dumping then I will be extra proud of myself cx

Absolutely BRILLIANT mind set Squeaky. With determination like that, I can see success written all over your journey.

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@squeakyfruitbat 22222 wrote:

And so you should be! We all think obesity is a self fulfilling prophecy as we expect to fail at every method we try to lose weight. However, the key word is prophecy – it’s a guess, a possibility. That means it’s NOT written in stone. We can change our futures. Wls helps us to do that, it doesn’t do it for us. I have only ever dumped from deliberately sabotaging myself once: with some shortbread at Christmas the first one after surgery. I felt left out and fed up at not being able to eat all the scrummy food around the house for my family. I ate the damn shortbread knowing full well it might make me dump. OMG did it!! I almost ruined my Chridtmas eve for a bit of shortbread. If ever there was a losing bargain, well…. Since then I have only ever dumped through finding out what my new system won’t accept – rice, animal protein, anything ‘doughy’ and certain fruits. I refuse to sabotage the wonderful gift I’ve been given. I’m 4 years out and now have a totally different relationship with food – a normal one! It’s all I ever wanted: the healthy body mother nature gave me that I abused, took for granted and almost destoyed.

However we use wls, we get our lives back and if we are really lucky – a better one.

Hi guys.. I agree we’ve had weight loss surgery so we should avoid all bad food and that is entirely my intention however this is the real world and I think to say that we will never ever eat something bad is unrealistic… In my opinion I think for me… And I can only speak for me… I want to reset my relationship with food, use all the tools I’ve been given and learn slowly to have a healthy relationship with food… I’m very determined I won’t eat anything bad but I know that real life dictates that at some point there will be a biscuit or a crisp or a roast potatoes… I need to learn that is ok… In moderation… And to not punish myself if I do eat something ‘off plan’ and then just give in and gorge… I was brought up with some really bad attitudes to food and have an emotional addiction to food..I was made to feel bad food was naughty and I ended up abusing it.. I want kids and I don’t want them to have the same issues… I want them to enjoy food of all sorts and not abuse it… I need a good attitude to all food to achieve this.. I wanna beat this … Be more ‘nirmal’ with food and even enjoy the odd treat like other people can its gonna take a lot of time and work but i believe ir can be acheivedxxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Again I say, with such a positive mental attitude, you are streets ahead already. I have the odd treat – because it’s ‘normal’ to do so. I went to a wedding last year where I drank champagne for most of the day (and night!) and didn’t have one twinge of guilt. It was a wedding, a special occasion, a once’ maybe twice a year event, a joyful day. At one point I was the only person shuffling about on the dance floor! I rarely drink alcohol the rest of the time and I didn’t before surgery.

I also believe that the longer you spend re-educating yourself about food and why you abuse it, the more likely you are to succeed in fully understanding the changes needed to address them. You are obviously mindful of that in a very positive way. No doubt your future children will learn good habits from you which could be hugely influential for all the future generations of your family. You could be the one to save your family from having the same food problems as you. How fantastic is that?!

Doodah xx

Thanks doodah hope I can achieve as great you xx

Think I might prints bits of this thread to take to pyschologist… Surprised myself in saying all that so succinctly.. I could spend weeks in counselling sessions trying to get that out!! Lol xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

I think that is a fantastic idea! Your psychologist will be able to see how much progress you are making. I’m absolutely thrilled that you feel comfortable enough to share your thoughts with us so honestly. I feel very grateful to Streamline for giving us this place to go when we need help from others who are on the same journey. Plus, your experiences help other newbies when they are struggling – it’s a total win-win situation. I feel absolutely brilliant now!! Knowing that you are making breakthroughs has made my day. Thank you SO much for sharing it with us xx

Doodah x

Whitey

Hi I am 11 days post bypass and think I have just experience my first dumping. I ate half a weetabix with warm milk and sweetner. About an hour later I felt light headed, sweaty & had palpitations. I felt strange for about 30 mins. Is this dumping? I have had similar symptons due to the menopause. Any feedback would be helpful.

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 62 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media