Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Due for RNY surgery and needing some support

Home ยป Topics ยป Welcome to Streamline Surgical ยป Forum Tutorials and Help Section ยป Due for RNY surgery and needing some support

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    Kazzab

Hi, :attention:

I’m Karen. I am due to get gastric bypass on the 22nd of September :clock: . I had my pre op on Monday the 14th of Sept and am very nervous! I live in Scotland but having my surgery down in the Clementine with the wonderful Guy Slater! I am becoming very nervous. I still haven’t heard anything back about the pre op…. is that normal? I have also just had a surgery on the 11/9 but am on the mend. What have peoples experiences been like straight after you come out of surgery? Thanks and look forward to getting to know you all more! ๐Ÿ˜€

Kaz :hug: xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Kazzab 34449 wrote:

Hi, :attention:

I’m Karen. I am due to get gastric bypass on the 22nd of September :clock: . I had my pre op on Monday the 14th of Sept and am very nervous! I live in Scotland but having my surgery down in the Clementine with the wonderful Guy Slater! I am becoming very nervous. I still haven’t heard anything back about the pre op…. is that normal? I have also just had a surgery on the 11/9 but am on the mend. What have peoples experiences been like straight after you come out of surgery? Thanks and look forward to getting to know you all more! ๐Ÿ˜€

Kaz :hug: xx[/QUOT

Hi Karen and welcome to our friendly forum.

I had my gastric bypass over 7 years ago so things might have changed a wee bit. However, we have some lovely ‘newbies’ who are not long after surgery who will come on to help you with any questions you may have.

I had an open (10cm scar) and my gallbladder out at the same time in 2008. I can honestly say with my hand on my heart that I felt absolutely fine after about three days. There was discomfort but no actual pain. I got used to injecting myself wit the blood thinner and made sure I had everything I needed for a week food wise – basically very little!

The first shock is that you will not feel hungry! Some of us have still to be reminded to eat. It’s hard to imagine isn’t it? My second bit of advice is don’t ever try to eat and drink at the same time. It will either get stuck and be incredibly uncomfortable or, it will come back up. My first bit of advice? Be kind to yourself and put yourself first for once. You are worth it.

So, welcome on board the ride to a happier, healthier life. You are not doing the journey alone as we are all here for you ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

penny

Hi Karen, I am also awaiting surgery, it should be nov 18th or there abouts I am having chris pring as my surgeon, as you say its quite scarey the nearer it gets, its good we can share this journey together, they are a great bunch on this site, very supportive, and friendly, and no one judges anyone.

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Kaz,

I had my bypass by Guy Slater at the Clementine about 18 months ago and I can honestly say I don’t regret it for a moment.

I differ from Doodah in that I did have pain after the op, but it was manageable after a day or so. I also had some issues with blood pressure and heart rate racing which meant I had to stay in hospital three days instead of two, but looking back these were minor things really.

My advice for after the op is to do exactly what you are told. If you follow the instructions, you’ll get the right nourishment, enough fluids and enough exercise. Do that, and I believe all will be well.

I see you are travelling a long way for your surgery, so did I (but not as far as you). Do you have someone coming with you? I only ask because I went to Harrow alone on the train and arranged for my sister to drive down to collect me. But for my stay in hospital I was by myself, it was a bit scary so if you can have a friendly face to hand, I’d recommend it.

Do you mind if I ask if you are proceeding through the Pruhealth co – pay scheme? That is what I did, there was no other way I could have afforded the op. Even though schlepping to Harrow several times was a pain, it was worth it. Good luck my friend

Chris xx

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi , I had mine in portsmouth nov 13 , due to health concerns I was in ITU for two days , but honestly I was really good less than 16 hours after I walked to the loo with my drip . Was walking around the ward , up and down the corridors to try and get the wind moving !!!!! . I was discharged 48 hours after op . I had no pain but keep up the pain medication ( the wind pain is bad but there are other ways of shifting this ) I had a pillow over my tummy for car journeys . I was operated on Tuesday discharged Thursday , and by Saturday had cabin fever i persuaded hubby to take me shopping ( he had promised me this beautiful watch ) I wasn’t going to miss out on that lol . Walking is good but so is it to rest . I found it helpful to write a food and drink time table to make sure I got my fluids in .

Doodah
    Keymaster

I love you guys. I knew you would jump in to help Karen. What a little haven this forum is – for us all. I wish I had known about it when I had my surgery ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Oh and regarding feedback from the pre-op, I believe you would only be contacted if there was a problem so if you’ve heard nothing, that’s good

penny

@Doodah 34472 wrote:

I love you guys. I knew you would jump in to help Karen. What a little haven this forum is – for us all. I wish I had known about it when I had my surgery ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

Long term results.

penny

Hi Doodah, I have done this mail 3 times now it may be somewhere but i have lost it just now, ( I hope I have not lost the plot) so if you have read it already sorry! I wanted to ask how do you find things after you had surgery 7 years ago what I mean is, how do you find eating do you still eat size of ramakin, do you ever eat out at resturants do you get pain from the surgery, does your actual stomach feel different, (as I had the failed band after 6 years,) really what is life like on the eating habits after long term surgery. I read a scary bit on the internet wish I had not,
    Also do you still lose weight now I mean when does this stop. sorry I am babble on. xxx

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Penny,

Doodah will have more insight being 7 years out but I’m 18 months out and I can say that my digestion works normally, no pain or anything. You said about reading scary stuff, presumably about dumping and vomiting, I have none of that. I do try to make healthy choices but I can’t say I never have an odd treat.

I still use the ramekin at breakfast and my other meals tend to be served on a tea plate, this helps me guide my portions. I do eat in restaurants, I ask for a starter portion or I get a doggy bag (2 meals for the price of 1!).

Regarding the loss stopping, I lost 9 -10 stones in the first year and then another stone in the last 6 months, the loss is very slow now but hasn’t quite stabilised yet and my bmi is around 22. I don’t really understand the science of how the loss stops and maintains at the right level but I’d suggest that if you follow the rules you get the right results. Hope this helps

Chris xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@penny 34477 wrote:

Hi Doodah, I have done this mail 3 times now it may be somewhere but i have lost it just now, ( I hope I have not lost the plot) so if you have read it already sorry! I wanted to ask how do you find things after you had surgery 7 years ago what I mean is, how do you find eating do you still eat size of ramakin, do you ever eat out at resturants do you get pain from the surgery, does your actual stomach feel different, (as I had the failed band after 6 years,) really what is life like on the eating habits after long term surgery. I read a scary bit on the internet wish I had not,
    Also do you still lose weight now I mean when does this stop. sorry I am babble on. xxx

Hi Penny

I can honestly tell you with my hand on my heart that I eat like a ‘normal’ person, just far less of it. My weight has been stable for about 5 years now. The only time I gained any was when I had to have really high doses of steroids for my asthma. I contacted my team about it and they told me not to panic and that everything would go back to normal once I had finished them. Guess what? they were right!

I eat out all the time and enjoy the odd glass of wine. I never did drink much anyway so that is no hardship. I’m a vegetarian now too. Portion sizes are about ramekin sized but eaten on a plate – a small one. I have had dumping syndrome in the past but I rarely get it now, unless there are ‘hidden’ sugar and fats in things.

I plan ahead. I make sure I have healthy snacks in the house at all times. However, I do have a little of what I fancy at the weekends. The only time I ever have pain is if I have either eaten too fast, or have drunk too soon after eating (or vice versa.) I had an open bypass with my gallbladder removed at the same time. I was pain free within 3 days of surgery.

The general rule of thumb is simple – follow the guidelines strictly: for as long as possible. Then stick to them 95% of the time, relaxing them for special occasions. Take any supplements you are advised to have, drink plenty of water and get enough sleep. Eat as much protein as you can after surgery as this will aid healing.

Most importantly, be kind to yourself and put yourself first for once in your life. It’s YOUR chance to have a healthier and happier life. It is not selfish. The people who love you will have a healthier, happier you – win:win.

I hope this rambling post helps you. feel free to ask absolutely anything, ok? It’s all new, a bit scary and sometimes confusing. But MY LIFE it’s worth it.

Doodah x

penny

thank you so so much, that all sounds good and has put my mind at rest xxx

penny

Thanks Chris , feeling a lot better about it now it seems life can be normal after bypass. I must just say this ,,, I am 56 and i was chatting to someone close to me and they said to me, if I was to think about it in 10 years time i will be 66 and said do you think you will cope with that (bypass) then, so just have the band, but that is what went wrong, and now i have to have it removed and have something done, otherwise life will be cut short anyway, this did make me worry and I know they only say this as they care and maybe not understand it so much, as i often hear ,,, if only you tried harder,,,, well we all know about that a. xxx

Kimberly
    Participant

Penny I know I’m poorly but that’s because I had heart problems before , honestly if you had seen me a year ago , I was doing aqua 4 times a week Pilates , cycling . . Most of my health problems disappeared except the heart .
    I can eat a fillet steak , I struggle a bit with prawns now but can eat salmon cod . I go out for meals had a curry at the weekend ( usually have a starter ) then eat of hubby plate . I do like an occasional glass of bubbly . But I would advice you to be in company that you know will look after you , because you get tiddly very quickly , then sober up almost as quickly . I’m very funny when I had a glass . When out at the pub ( we do a pub quiz once a week ) I like a cup of tea or coffee . But if they haven’t got that I ask for tab water with ice and always carry a Robinson shot nas squash in my hand bag . We don’t eat take always any more , but that’s a good thing . Early day if I was asked to friend for dinner I would take my own frozen purred meal . As they good friends that would be embarrassed but relieved . Now they just accept it . Lots of people have special dietary needs now . One tip as it seems every one has to offer you fluids with meals just ask for tap water and leave it !!! It stop waiters stressing . If I can find any thing on the menu I will order a main meal and leave it , for me it now the company that’s important not the food . I will say to waiter the dinner lovely but I’ve had surgery so I can’t eat much ( I don’t tell them what I had done it’s none of there business ) but thank you . Only because they can get upset when you leave loads . Even abroad I managed you can always find some thing
    what I have learnt is in the car have an emergency box with bits and pieces I been in hospital with relatives poorly . Packet of cuppa porridge just add water , pkts nuts . You can also get pkts latte , oat biscuits nas Robinson squash . Melba toast . Nuts are brilliant

Doodah
    Keymaster

I spent the whole of last summer dashing between the hospitals that my Dad and Sister were in. In my bag I had some crackers, cheese portions, grapes, tomatoes and sachets of porridge (oh, and my own teabags!) I drank lattes if it was cold. I was prepared for every eventuality. I got through it and was healthy enough to take care of the people who needed me.

Preparation is the key. And remembering your supplements!

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media