Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Does anyone ever regret having their surgery?

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » The Gastric Bypass- 6 months & beyond » Does anyone ever regret having their surgery?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • Author

I am currently on the pre op milk diet and wanted to ask this before I take the final step.

To be perfectly honest, I am finding hard to believe that I could ever be slim or of a medium build. I have messed up on every diet imaginable and part of me thinks that I am just wasting my money (and lots of it!!).

Can anyone please help me with my jitters?

Many thanks!

Gayle

Hi Ramblin Rose

I am nearly 5 months post bypass and over 5 stone lighter and feel fantastic. It was the best thing I could have done and don’t regret it for one second. To be able to now shop in high street stores for the first time in many years is brilliant and I’m relatively new so still a way to go.

Good luck xx

hides

Hiya rose
    I think the question you ask, has been asked by everyone before you…
    I am only 5weeks post BAND op, ( not sure what you are having), i have only lost 1and a half stone….. But at this point on any other diet i would be fed up and go back to my old ways…….
    If you are having bypass, my understanding is, you would of lost double what i have by now, but your recovery from op is slightly longer.
    I have no regrets so far, and i too paid, but please be aware , on the band you do have to work at it. WILLPOWER still plays a part.
    I’m sure Rose you will have no regrets , think of the summer next year…….lol
    Best wishes
    Heidi

Doodah
    Keymaster

I would be lying if I said I didn’t have any regrets ever. However, the only time I ever have is when I am freezing cold and can’t eat enough to get warm. It lasts the time it takes to put on another jumper!!!

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi,
    I had my bypass in March this year and I am now nearly eight and half stones lighter, do I regret having it done no it is the best thing I have ever done for me apart from having my kids and now having my grandchildren. I like you have tried every diet under the sun and though lost weight have never managed to keep it off but now, oh now I have my life back, I can walk for miles without hurting, I am exercising which I have never ever done before, I can go into any shop and know that the clothes will fit me but the best bit is knowing I have lengthed my life and I now have every chance of seeing my grandchildren grow up. So do I regret having the op the answer is NO.

Elaine xx

johncg

Go for it,,,

I’ve no regrets at all….. Lots of money agreed but I’ve saved lots of money on bad food since…. And beer…..

Mind you my wardrobe need re stocking….

Love John xx

Thanks guys!

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Rambling Rose

Good to hear from you. I can honestly say I have only regretted having this gastric bypass once, I was in the midst of a nasty bout of gastroenteritis and feeling very sorry for myself and low, that lasted about a nano second, I, like the majority of our ‘sisters and brothers’ on here have got my life back, and then some. I’m looking forward to a works birthday party this weekend, and the annual christmas lunch, I even have two brand new dresses bought from a high street shop without looking for the plus size section and it felt amazing, I left the shop with a huge smile on my face and my hubby was looking mighty proud as well, which made everything worthwhile, just to see that look in his eyes, haven’t seen that look for quite some time, boy did it feel good.

To anyone considering bariatric surgery I would say go for it, it’s the best decision I’ve every made.

Good look with your op Rose and stay in touch, we always make room on the losers bench.

Take care
    Love
    Lesley
    xxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Deifersmum 20492 wrote:

Hi Rambling Rose

Good to hear from you. I can honestly say I have only regretted having this gastric bypass once, I was in the midst of a nasty bout of gastroenteritis and feeling very sorry for myself and low, that lasted about a nano second, I, like the majority of our ‘sisters and brothers’ on here have got my life back, and then some. I’m looking forward to a works birthday party this weekend, and the annual christmas lunch, I even have two brand new dresses bought from a high street shop without looking for the plus size section and it felt amazing, I left the shop with a huge smile on my face and my hubby was looking mighty proud as well, which made everything worthwhile, just to see that look in his eyes, haven’t seen that look for quite some time, boy did it feel good.

To anyone considering bariatric surgery I would say go for it, it’s the best decision I’ve every made.

Good look with your op Rose and stay in touch, we always make room on the losers bench.

Take care
    Love
    Lesley
    xxxx

I LOVE THIS Lesley!!! There is no feeling like it is there? To just be a ‘normal’ person again. All the little things that non wls people take for granted. I wouldn’t swap it for anything (maybe world peace, and end to famine and clean water for all!) But seriously, It makes everything else in your life better – just feeling confident, healthy and happy. I swear other people can feel it eminating from us! I find people smile at me more (it’s possibly because I’m not shuffling along with my head down hoping no-one will notice me) which in itself is a bonus.

As a normal human being, in a perfect world I would love all the bonuses of wls without a single drawback. But we don’t live in a perfect world so if being really cold every winter is the trade-off: I have absolutely no regrets.

Doodah xx

ruby tuesday

Since I first saw the surgeon earlier this year, I am 4 stone lighter, and I lost half a stone over several months on my own pre-op, which put it all into perspective for me, as the surgery has helped me to loose the rest, and my op was the 18th of August, still early days. I was 16 stone, size 24, now 12 stone, size 14 top, 16 bottom, and hope to get down to the weight I have been previously. Any regrets, no, even though I have some pain at present when eating, I can eat a good variety of food, and have a lack of cravings for sweet things, and feel much more in control of my eating. I’m sure we all wish we could achieve this ourselves without surgery, but the truth is even if we loose weight, it usually goes back on without these ops, and I would like to maintain a stable healthy weight for the rest of my life, and am now sure I can achieve that.

luckyflower

I am three weeks post op and can say it feels great to feel in control of food instead of the other way around! obviously early in the journey but I would say go for it no time for regrets, and i panicked pre op worried about so much!!!! once op is over the worries go too. now my focus is cooking healthy food for all the family!

kathc

Just ditto what everyone else said ! So pleased I took the step . Katherine . X x

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

Pinkdancer

This is not the ‘easy option’ that the media like to claim it is, but as everyone says so worth it. It takes work everyday but it does make life so much better.

I had my bypass on 13th Jan 2011 and so far have lost 9 1/2 stone since I started my pre op diet on 11th Dec 2010. I have gone from a 28-30 and creeping towards a 32, and I have just brought a size 12 skirt in M & S at the weekend and even got on a pair of size 10 Next jeans! But so much more important is the improvement in my health, I have stopped the damage to my liver and the diabetes.

So it is quite normal to have doubts but that is because this means so much to you. So keep calm and in a few weeks time this will be a nano second of time in the grand scheme of things.

Good luck, keep busy… lots of cleaning, walking and sugarfree jellies and drinking lots of water. You will literally pooh and wash the fat out of your body if you do.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Size 10 Jeans?!?! That’s amazing !!!!

Doodah x

johncg

Not really doodah

I’m a size 10!!!!!

The other leg is the same….. Lol

Love John xxx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 31 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media