Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Do I or don’t I ? ? ?

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » Pre- Weight Loss Surgery » Do I or don’t I ? ? ?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    charabanc

Hello to everyone,

I am about to make one of the biggest decisions of my life, but I am not sure it’s the right one?
    I am sure many of you were in my shoes at one time, not sure whether to proceed with surgery or not.
    Can anyone tell me if there was 1 single thing that pushed them forward, to help with the decision making process.
    I look forward to your answers.
    Thanks for all the help you give.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Well, for me it was the fact that I was given about 3-5 years to live if I didn’t go ahead. Pretty much left me with little choice – if any. I had my surgery 4 years ago….speaks volumes that I am sat here typing this to you. It saved my life quite literally.

katy

Hello
    I have plodded along for years doing every diet under the sun (since puberty) I’m now 36 and last year I injured my back quite badly at work. I have lost my job as an A&E sister, am unable to walk without a stick and am in constant pain. I need to have spinal surgery this year and realised that the only way I was going to get my life back was to lose the excess weight I have been carrying around. I weighed 19 stone 6 at my heaviest just before i went for assessment at st Richards. I had my bypass 2 weeks ago today and this morning I weigh 15 stone 9. I also have high blood pressure at a young age and this frightens me. I truly believe that without this surgery, I would never get my career back. Now I believe that once I have had the spinal op I WILL get back to work and even though I know I will not nurse again, I have nearly finished a masters degree in health and management and will be able to use that in the future.
    This is a massive decision and it is one that only you can make but rest assured that whatever you decide, the folk on here will support you and help you along the way.
    Love Katy x

Ganny
    Participant

This is one of the biggest decission you will make as it is for all that have to make it. I was not told I only had years to live or did I have a bad medical conditio but at nearly 25 stones I knew that my life was going to be cut very short because of my weight, so when I was offered the chance of getting funding and then haveing surgery I grabbed that chance with both hands. I have always been “large” and after being a yo yo dieter from the age of 12 I knew this was going to be the only way that I would lose weight, change my eating habits and get my life back. Now nearly a year on from having a bypass and 10 stone lighter, I really can’t believe the new me. For a start I know I will get to see my beloved grandchildren grow up, I can walk anywhere without getting out of breath and haveing back ache. I am so much healthier, I am no medication now and in the process of losing my cpap machine, I am just being tested to see if I still have sleep apneoa. I love exercise, something that was alien to me and I can shop anywhere I want to so all in all it is the BEST decission I have ever made and I don’t regret it for one second.
    Elaine xx

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi

I was like you, I swung between going for it or not, I’d sit here doing research, getting all the facts in front of me but, at the end of the day it’s up to you, I have a very vivid memory of me sitting on the stairs with the phone in my hand one morning, taking a deep breath and realising that this is the only way I was ever going to lose the weight, I was 18 and a half stone at this point and, after years of trying every diet you’ve ever heard about, and some very dodgy things off the internet, I decided it was time to get this sorted once and for all. Once the decision was made I felt a lot happier, like a life line had been handed out to me and I grabbed it with both hands.

If it helps I have never, ever regretted that decision and I’ve never looked back, I’m a year post op this week and have gone from a size 22 to a size 14.

If I’ve helped you to make your decison I’m glad but, whatever you decide we’re all behind you 100 %.

Take care

Love
    Lesley
    xxxx

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media