Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Discrimination (again) in the media

Home » Topics » General Section » Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery Debates and Media. » Discrimination (again) in the media

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Sally Bailey
    Participant

Fatties cost the NHS extra £25m | The Sun |News

Yet again, the overweight are being targeted for discrimination. No mention of the money that could be SAVED if weight loss surgery was available on the NHS to everyone who needed it. Who is to ‘blame’: the media, NHS or society in general? We would like to hear your thoughts, especially if WLS has improved/saved your life.

Doodah
    Keymaster

I think the government see obese people as easy targets as they are the last group of people that many in society think it’s ok to discriminate against. ‘Fatism’ isn’t viewed as seriously as any other ‘ism’ in my opinion.

The fact that it can ruin people’s lives, and those of their families means zilch to the people looking to make spending cuts. Imagine if funding were questioned for mental health facilities or rehab for drugs or alcohol etc?! We need to stand up for ourselves and show people that with the right help readily available (more funding for WLS) we will eventually save tax payers a fortune. Then get more education at GRASS ROOTS level. Educate our children about nutrition and healthy living. As an older person, I think PE and cookery should be compulsory in schools again!! Not food tech (where kids make pasta with a sauce from a jar) but proper cooking from scratch with a basic understanding of how to buy, prepare and cook healthy food.

Anyway, that’s my rant over lol! What does eveyone else think? Should parents be made accountable NOW to save all the agony of obesity for future generations? Does the onus lie at home or with society to change people’s relationship with food and lack of interest in exercise? In short: who (if anyone) is to ‘blame’……?

carolthecook

I certainly agree with bringing cookery/home economics back onto the agenda in schools…and not just 8 x 1 hour lessons over 1 year! Advice on shopping, basic cooking techniques, menu planning, nutrition etc would be a wonderful skill for young people to build on and lessen the risk of obesity in childhood and in years ahead.

luckyflower

Hi interested in what you both say. I have two young children having had them late in life. They have healthy food and I cook their meals from scratch. They don’t have sweets as treats they have their temper tantrum in the fruit aisle for fruit!! I would like healthy eating to be in schools and menu planning etc but also balanced information. My little 5 year old hears so much from school about foods but it’s not balanced!! I am involving them both in the preparation of food something I never did with my mother as a child…. too many chips were given to me!!!!! As for exercise I am disappointed at the fact he has PE twice a week but one of those sessions is not what i would call exercise it is indoors and they don’t even change into PE kit!

The press do find it easy to pick on the obese. I have no health problems at the moment, fortunately, at my GP registration visit when we moved a year ago I was so embarrassed about my weight I lied to the GP and told him I was happy with my weight because I did not want to go through the humiliation of being weighed. I wonder what he will think when he gets the letter from streamline telling him I have seen them. I am paying for my surgery. I have not cost the NHS so far but realise I would later. Does my being overweight make me any less worthy than someone who isn’t overweight but still does not care for their health?

ruby tuesday

It is an interesting debate isn’t it? I was very overweight, but no health problems related to weight, and pay for private dentistry or any other treatment options despite being retired and on a small pension, so don’t think I was costing the NHS compared to say a drug addict! The thing is, where do you draw the line, if you smoke, can it be argued the fact that it depletes the vitamin content in anything you eat, thereby making you more likely to catch viruses etc, and puts up your cancer risk, which can mean you cost the NHS more, should result in you being treated differently to a non-smoker?

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media