Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Dietician…….

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Helen

tomorrow afternoon, I’ve got the dietician. This is my first visit to the dietician post-op.

So I saw the dietician for my 12 week check up… She was lovely reassured me I’m doing well with my food and is pleased with my variety of goods etc. gave me some suggestions on fruit etc.. And said my weight loss was bang on target… However … I use My Fitness Pal … I record everything I eat on it … I know my protein intake and also counting the calories helps me to be on control… I don’t have massive restriction and I get hungry so being aware of everything I put in my mouth means I know I’m in control.. But she has suggested I move away from counting calories and measuring my food… TBH the thought fills me with dread!!!!! I’ve achieved so well doing this I’m not keen on changing it… In fact I feel right now I could loose control if I wasn’t so measured …. She’s written to my GP with this recommendation … I did explain this freaked me out but she didn’t really listen …. So do I try it … Or just stick with what I’m doing … I don’t feel it’s so bad doing what I’m doing but I’d like people’s views ( and I welcome all comments good and bad!!! ) … Also she wrote on my GP letter I now gave a BMI of 41 … Rubbish, NHS choices tells me it’s now 38.6!!! That’s just a silly gripe but get it right love!!!!! Xxx

Ps. I lost 3 stone in 3 months and originally had BMI of 45.9 ( according to NHS choices)

katy

Hey Hun
    I’m due to go for my dietician review next week. I don’t know if this helps but I have not counted a single calorie since the op. instead I keep a food diary but this is only to see what foods I don’t tolerate and to help me figure out a pattern. I (according to my scales and the ones at my gp surgery) have lost around 6 stone since I started this business and have dropped 4 dress sizes with a BMI now of 29.6. I did notice that st Richards scales do weigh a bit heavier than mine so maybe thats how she calculated your BMI?
    Maybe it would be worth trying to avoid calorie counting for a week and see how you get on?
    It’s so scary not knowing the exact value if everything you eat and before the op I did keep count but I feel a bit more free now, I don’t eat any rubbish but I still enjoy the odd meal out (usually sushi….safe food for me) but I don’t let it rule my life anymore.
    I hope this helps but ultimately you have to do what feels right for you.
    I think we live quite close to each other so if you ever fancy a coffee and a natter I’m up for that!
    Love
    Katy x

Hey Katy thanks for reply… Yep I agree I’m heavier at the hospital than at home!!!!’
    . I gave thought this through all weekend and even tried not to count cals yesterday . TBH I’ve decided I’m sticking to the fitness pal and the calorie counting/ measuring… It works for me really well i know where I am … It stops me panicking about what to eat… I pre plan as much as poss and i think it will help me to control my portion size long term… However my own personal caveat is that if I’m served a meal I didn’t cook I will just go with the flow…. I now know what a portion on a plate looks like that I can manage so for the odd lovely occasion I eat out I will be sensible eat small and protein first

But not worry too much about cals… For me a happy compromise between being in control but enjoying social occasions xxxx as always this place is a lifeline xxxxx
    I’d love to do coffee. I’ve been meeting with Thais so maybe we can all meet. Let me know what you think. I’ll text her cxxxxxx

katy

Sounds good to me, will inbox you my number, drop me a text! X

Doodah
    Keymaster

I haven’t counted a single calorie for the past 4 years and have lost and kept off 15st.

Meeting up with others who have done the same will boost your confidence that it works – and you get to meet lovely new friends xx

Doodah x

hazelann70

Old saying of if it’s not broken, why try to fix it! Seems stupid to me that if you’re doing so well with what you’re doing, why change it? But there again, my logic might not be the best! In my world, I skip breakfast so I can eat more in the afternoon/evening. Same calories but I cope better doing it that way. It’s always worked for me and so why change it. OK, it’s not the recommended way and it’s not for everyone but we are all different. No, I’d stick with what you know works. Dieticians are ok but as with most things, they are only there to guide you and to give their “medical” opinion and so what’s good for most, doesn’t work for everyone. Hope that helps.

charabanc

Hi everyone,

Can any of you with Streamline experience give any advice on Dieticians?

Having problems with getting appointments and advice etc, thought it would be possible to see another somewhere else, but was told it was not possible?

Can anyone recommend a good dietitian within Streamline?

Thanks.

Doodah
    Keymaster

@charabanc 23848 wrote:

Hi everyone,

Can any of you with Streamline experience give any advice on Dieticians?

Having problems with getting appointments and advice etc, thought it would be possible to see another somewhere else, but was told it was not possible?

Can anyone recommend a good dietitian within Streamline?

Thanks.

They are all good in my very biased opinion!! Our newest member of the dietitian team is Nicole Berberian. She is based at the new Sudbury Clinic in Harrow.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media