Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Diabectic food

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Emily.p

Hi All

Lots of people have been asking me lots of questions since I had my op almost 4 weeks ago now and a few people have brought up a good point so wanted to see what all you clever people say.

Basically as we have to have low sugar and fat can we eat diabectic Chocolate and ice cream or is the fat content high??

Thanks

Emily x

Anonymous

Hi Emily,
    From a personal point….

Diabetic Chocolate a…… with ice cream lol…..
    At 4 weeks out I would not be trying it purely because of the sweetener.
    Your find your tastes have changed and just how sweet things really are soon enough.

As a diabetic way way before I had surgery my diabetic nurse told me not to bother with diabetic chocolate because it was a waste of time and so very expensive. If I wanted a little chocolate then have some, but just a little….

Chocolate, diabetes, cholesterol high blood pressure and a potential early grave is why I had surgery, weight loss for me personally was a bonus or the icing on the cake…

Whilst your only 4 weeks out you really should be avoiding sweet stuff, diabetic or not, your going to be a little unpredicable with eating for a litle whaile and why take any risks? Dumping and frothing are tell tale signs you wont want to repeat. As are the horendous stomach aches and trotts that follow….. All for a little chocolate?.

How about finding a reduced fat / sugar free chocolate ice cream and try a little. not a lot. You could find yourself filling up on this where you need to be concentrating on protien….. Limit yourself to a very little so as not to spoil the honeymoon….
    Most of us only get one chance at this..

Bear in mind ice cream is a slider food…. you could eat more than you should as it goes straight through, theirs really not much benefit. How about adding a bannana to a chocolate icecream milkshake? hmmmm… least that way your consuming something of substance lol.

I know the craving oh too well…. wish I had perservered longer than I did, but then thats me…. if I’m not supposed to I WILL just for the hell of it. (a rebeliuos sort).

Just trying to help. I know its hard (being a chocoholic got me to where I was)…. just dont want you to suffer hun….

All the best

Buzz xx

Emily.p

Hi Buzz

I havent been craving chocolate since my op which is shocking for me. I was just thinking of further down the line when Im more settled with my food really.

Thanks for your advice perhaps something to try in a few months time but I think its something to just love and leave haha!

What do you have now to keep your sweet tooth happy?

Irene

Hi Emily,
    I am 6 months post op and 6 st lighter, and do not crave sweet things at all. I too am diabetic but since op no medication at all. I have tried sugar free chocolate, but find most of these things just toooooooooo sweet now. I agree with everything Buzz says. Good luck with your journey.

SJ

I would say avoid chocolate for as long as poss, whilst the diabetic stuff will be lower in sugar, if you get a taste for chocolate again it might not be good for you in the long run. UNLESS you can manage it in moderation…know I can’t so haven’t had any at all since op.

Anonymous

@Emily.p 14206 wrote:

Hi Buzz

I havent been craving chocolate since my op which is shocking for me. I was just thinking of further down the line when Im more settled with my food really.

Thanks for your advice perhaps something to try in a few months time but I think its something to just love and leave haha!

What do you have now to keep your sweet tooth happy?

Hi Emily,
    I must point out I’m 18 months out and their is not a lot I can not tolerate 🙂
    If I fancy some chocolate, I have some. but NO where near the amounts I did, I do suffer a mild dump with too much sugars.

The good thing is, not absorbing as much makes maintaining that much easier, its a rocky road with chocolate and sweets, so please do try to avoid them during the honeymoon period….

A reduced fat hot chocolate drink might curve the craving, but again not sure you wont suffer…

IF and this is only an IF, you really cant manage without it… heres a suggestion for you….
    Buy one bag of maltersers. Hand them too hubby, son, daughter or friend and allow yourself say 3 a week.
    Pig out on three maltesers as a treat once a week….
    Your going to get me in trouble you are…….
    No more than 3……
    lol

Just remember sweetheart, you will be working hard at weightloss, any form of sugar ( including cerial bars, my downfall) can be the cause of stalls in weight loss…

Understanding it is difficult and proud of you for asking and being soo good….
    It is difficult sometimes when you really crave something….

Buzz xxx

sonia kidman

Hi
    Just to say that the chocolate pudding in carol browns book is better than any Diabetic chocolate as it does not give you a laxative affect.
    Hope you are well
    Sonia x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media