Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Decisons

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Megan123

Hi,

I came on these boards just over a year ago as I had joined a NHS diet group that also deals with gastric bypass operations. At the time I really wanted to try and lose weight without surgery, but at 54 years old and now in menopause I found that very difficult. I weigh 16.5 stone and have diabetes type 2 and now on insulin and tablets. I also have Fibromyalgia.

Tried to do a lot of research on bypass as the weight is not coming off naturally. I do not eat a lot in-between meals, but my portion sizes are too big, although I eat healthy. I have been on so many diets in the past, lose weight but cannot maintain it and always end up back were I started, plus a few pounds more! This I fear has almost made me fear diets as I just get bigger in the long run! When eating I know when Im full and can leave food once that happens, but the comfort I get from food is the “full” feeling, so figure with bypass that feeling will come on with much less food which will help. But (there is always a but!) I am totally terrified of hospital procedures (long story but bad experience with my son after road accident).

A seminar I attended on gastric bypass said 1 in 200 die from the operation, which in its self is terrifying, after all you do this to better your life not die!
    Complications seem familiar with many having more opertaions to put things right, which would cripple me with my fear of hospital issues.
    I also have stomach issues as I have mild gastritis and IBS, are these things made worse with bypass? I believe they cut the bowel and re-attach it to new pouch? Do you have issues with bowel movements after this surgery?
    Loose skin also concerns me. My stomach over hangs now and due to having a open hysterectomy in 2000, the scar sits under the over hang and I find I have to lift it and wash carefully there everyday – Im thinking the bypass will leave me with lots of loose skin over hanging that is unsightly and needs this care daily. Do any of you have this problem and how do you, when dressed, hide all this loose skin?

Thanks
    Megan.

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi Megan welcome , I can only talk about my self , I was too scared they wouldn’t do WLS . I’m 55 and I’m not going. To worry about the skin I might Later on , but I don’t know if I put my heart under that pressure . I don’t think I ever wear a bikini again and if I have lumps and bumps then I wear shape form underwear it better than it was before surgery . My health had improved dramatically . I understand your fear of hospital .talk to the team I found them really reassuring .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Megan123 30667 wrote:

Hi,

I came on these boards just over a year ago as I had joined a NHS diet group that also deals with gastric bypass operations. At the time I really wanted to try and lose weight without surgery, but at 54 years old and now in menopause I found that very difficult. I weigh 16.5 stone and have diabetes type 2 and now on insulin and tablets. I also have Fibromyalgia.

Tried to do a lot of research on bypass as the weight is not coming off naturally. I do not eat a lot in-between meals, but my portion sizes are too big, although I eat healthy. I have been on so many diets in the past, lose weight but cannot maintain it and always end up back were I started, plus a few pounds more! This I fear has almost made me fear diets as I just get bigger in the long run! When eating I know when Im full and can leave food once that happens, but the comfort I get from food is the “full” feeling, so figure with bypass that feeling will come on with much less food which will help. But (there is always a but!) I am totally terrified of hospital procedures (long story but bad experience with my son after road accident).

A seminar I attended on gastric bypass said 1 in 200 die from the operation, which in its self is terrifying, after all you do this to better your life not die!
    Complications seem familiar with many having more opertaions to put things right, which would cripple me with my fear of hospital issues.
    I also have stomach issues as I have mild gastritis and IBS, are these things made worse with bypass? I believe they cut the bowel and re-attach it to new pouch? Do you have issues with bowel movements after this surgery?
    Loose skin also concerns me. My stomach over hangs now and due to having a open hysterectomy in 2000, the scar sits under the over hang and I find I have to lift it and wash carefully there everyday – Im thinking the bypass will leave me with lots of loose skin over hanging that is unsightly and needs this care daily. Do any of you have this problem and how do you, when dressed, hide all this loose skin?

Thanks
    Megan.

Hi Megan and welcome to our friendly forum.

You are sensible to have concerns about undergoing major surgery – it is always a daunting prospect. However, what you have to consider is this: by doing nothing and remaining overweight/obese, you are putting enormous pressure on your system and risking getting worse until there are no further options.

I can assure you that one of the things said most often about wls is: ‘I wish I had done it sooner’. Myself included. I too am 55 this year and have bad Asthma and fibro. I ended up 26+ stone and literally fading away. I had high blood pressure, an enormous heart, and was almost completely immobile. Don’t let it get to that stage. If I had not had surgery i would have died in 3-5 years. That was 5.5 years ago!

As for the loose skin – what is worse: dying of obesity related diseases or having to wear a sturdy bra and control pants? I sold my soul to the bank manager and paid for my apronectomy. I was going to have my arms and boobs done too but am not sure it is absolutely necessary now. The most important thing to me is that I am HERE.

IBS can be lessened with wls. If you wish to know this categorically, I can ask one of our surgeons for you. Send me a private message on here with your details if you wish to know. As for risk, you are only 16.5 stone. In wls terms you are a lightweight so I think you may not be as risky as many of us who have had it but don’t quote me on that as I am not a clinician.

I think it would be very beneficial to you to attend a free consultation with one of our surgeons. Please call 0800 157 7033 or email: info@streamline-surgical.com if you would like to arrange it. It is free and without obligation. you have nothing to lose – but weight.

I hope this is useful to you. Please feel free to ask as many questions on here as you can think of. An informed choice is always best.

Doodah x

Megan123

Thank you, both of your for your warm welcome and advice. Just been in hospital today as my ferrintin levels are very low and they cannot work out why. Ive had barium meal, colonoscopy and endoscopy, but no answer. They tell me bariatric surgery will make it worse, so think booking a free consultation is a positive way forward for me at this stage so I can talk it through with a surgeon.
    Thanks xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Megan123 30692 wrote:

Thank you, both of your for your warm welcome and advice. Just been in hospital today as my ferrintin levels are very low and they cannot work out why. Ive had barium meal, colonoscopy and endoscopy, but no answer. They tell me bariatric surgery will make it worse, so think booking a free consultation is a positive way forward for me at this stage so I can talk it through with a surgeon.
    Thanks xx

I think that is a great decision on your part Megan. They will be 100% honest, I can promise you that. I’m sure other on here will attest to that too. Safety first every time.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on. We will all be rooting for you 😀

Doodah x

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media