Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Day 4 post op, was doing so well and feel rubbish today.

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » The first 6 months of the Gastric Bypass » Day 4 post op, was doing so well and feel rubbish today.

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Well as of yesterday each day I could feel myself getting better. Yesterday I even ventured to my Mum’s house, and didnt need all my pain meds. Then in the evening I had mashed potatoes and tuna (not blended), and instantly felt it hasnt agreed with me. Fast forward to today and I have a heavy feeling just below my incision sites, bloated and nauseous. I am feeling a bit down today as I have been sleeping most of the day. I know I only had major surgery a few days ago, but I felt I was doing so well until today. I just hope tomorrow is a better day. Also the morning of my op I had a v good bowel clear out, but haven’t been since my surgery, could that be what is causing the discomfort. Any help would be great.
    H xxx

treeza

Aww poor you x I’m sure you will have a much better day tom. I know from experience that people can have a bit of a down day 3 or 4 days post op something to do with the anaesthetic! Keep strong your going to be fine soon I’m sure x take care x T :0)x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Sparklepumpkin 28693 wrote:

Well as of yesterday each day I could feel myself getting better. Yesterday I even ventured to my Mum’s house, and didnt need all my pain meds. Then in the evening I had mashed potatoes and tuna (not blended), and instantly felt it hasnt agreed with me. Fast forward to today and I have a heavy feeling just below my incision sites, bloated and nauseous. I am feeling a bit down today as I have been sleeping most of the day. I know I only had major surgery a few days ago, but I felt I was doing so well until today. I just hope tomorrow is a better day. Also the morning of my op I had a v good bowel clear out, but haven’t been since my surgery, could that be what is causing the discomfort. Any help would be great.
    H xxx

Hi sparkle

Sorry to hear you had a rough day yesterday. As the very wise Treeza said, it is quite common to feel pants about day 4/5 after major surgery. Please just take one day at a time and be kind to yourself.

No bowel movement could be making you feel sluggish and bloated in addition to trying not so blended food for the first time. go back to basics again (or even the beginning) today and see how you get on.

I know I repeat this over and over again until you all probably want to gag me but make 100% sure you are hydrated. Sip, sip, sip all day – dehydration causes constipation at the best of times let alone a few days after a major procedure! It also make you feel miserable. So, that in combination with the post op blues is probably the culprit. If you still feel lousy after a few days and haven’t ‘been’, ask either your GP or your team for advice. As I also always say (my life I repeat myself a lot, repeat myself a lot, repeat myself a lot….lol) I am NOT a clinician so always check with your primary health care team first and foremost – unless your question is about shoes then I’m your woman 😉

Please let us know how you are today. Hope it’s a bit better. Slowly, slowly, slowly ok?

Doodah x

Well felt a bit of a wuss, and called Dr Somers today and im glad I did!!. He wasn’t very happy as I was discharged without my ant acids, and apparently the join in my tummy is inflamed as a result. He wants me on the meds immediately and back to liquids only. He also said that Tramadol also causes most if the symptoms I have been feeling. So glad i called him, and feeling better than yesterday already xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Mr Somers is so good at making things right very quickly isn’t he? This is why I always suggest you contact your team or GP first.

Tramadol is notorious for causing constipation (as are most painkillers) but in your case, feeling unwell was more involved – hence calling the team is the best idea.

SO glad you are feeling better. Just knowing something is being done makes a positive difference doesn’t it?

Enjoy the sunshine today my lovely – make the most of it 😉

Doodah x

Always feels goodd to have a plan in place

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Sparklepumpkin 28714 wrote:

Always feels goodd to have a plan in place

My friends call me Mrs List! I plan almost everything (although not my first child which was the biggest (and best) surprise I have ever had in my life haha!) The fabulous Stacey Brova even bought me a little list book with my name printed on it haha! And I have just panicked as I couldn’t see it on my desk. Phew found it. OCD much?

Planning is a great thing but it’s all well and good until something doesn’t fit in with them. I have learned in this past five years that plans are great – but they can sometimes thwart superb events by unwillingness to adapt. My daughter has been a reminder of this for me most of my adult life. She wasn’t in my plans at the time but she has been one of my life’s greatest treasures (my son and husband being the others.)

Anyway, I digress – Doodah? Digress? Never!!

I’m delighted that you are feeling better. Plan the important stuff, embrace the unexpected and always bear in mind that life often throws us in at the deep end. At that point you can chose to either sink or swim. Or plan ahead and buy some arm bands. That’s what wls is to me: some arm bands in the ocean of life.

Doodah x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media