Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Day 3 pre op diet. Feeling rough.

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Tagged: ,

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    shelleymarie

Hi all.

Oh dear. It’s harder that it looks isn’t it? It’s only day 3 but finding this very hard. I woke up this morning from a dream about eating an omelette and I don’t even like them lol. The hunger is setting in today. I’m trying to drink more water to put it off but so far not helping. My tummy is a bit upset too so that isn’t helping either. Also my mouth feels gross. Is that normal, is it the milk? I’m brushing my teeth more but it still feels all furry.

Anyway just needed to rant. It will get easier won’t it?

x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Shelley. So sorry you are feeling so fed up with it all. It’s entirely normal though. You just have to keep reminding yourself that it’s only for a short time and for such a ver good and important reason. Easier said than done I know.

Is there any way you can get out and about? Maybe go and have a look in your favourite clothes shop at all the fab new outfits you will have to buy? Or Start a scrapbook of your jouney? You might be able to find lots of before photos that you can begin with: some that you are not so keen on and others from when you felt happy and confident so that you have a frame of reference for your journey.

Keep your chin up and dream not about omelettes, but all the fab things you are going to do when you are happy and healthy again xx

Doodah x

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Shelley,
    I know it is hard but focus on what it is you are getting at the end of it, it really will be worth everything you are going through now.
    I chewed sugar free gum while I was on the pre op, it helped keeping my mouth fresh, I also ate ice cubes as it gave me something to chew and I drank loads of diet fizzy drinks as that filled me. You may find that today will be your worse day and after that once the body gets use to having less it will get easier, I found that I was about 5 days in to the diet when I went through what you are going through now but once I got over that day it became very easy and I enjoyed it.
    Stick with it, it is well worth it.
    Elaine xx

shelleymarie

Thanks Ladies. I’m feeling better tonight. Appetite has decreased a lot. I was pretty unwell this afternoon. My upset tummy became really bad and I had to just sleep it off but I’ve woke up and got some more water down me and managed my last bit of milk and some jelly. Still really tried and feeling so cold but I assume that is lack of energy inside me. I did wonder If I was having some bad luck and managed to get a bug at the same time but my mum who I live with thinks I’m just flushing the toxins out of my body from the rubbish I’ve put in there. I did cut out a lot and lost a some weight before the pre op diet but probably not nearly enough so she might be right. I never did well when I use to do fad liquid diets over the years., always felt really rough so might just need to ride this out.

Thanks for your advice. Not feeling up to going out yet but hopefully will in the next few days. I might try the looking through different photos to keep me focused. I keep meaning to take a before picture too. I will definitely try having the sugar free gum as this furry feeling is not pleasant at all.

Thanks again 🙂 x

shelleymarie

Just wanted to update. Day 5 and woke up feeling better, I’ve still got a little bit of an upset stomach, but glad yesterday is over as it was awful. Not because of the diet but because of how hard I was finding it made me feel like I would fail at losing and maintaining loss after the operation. I got very upset, maybe it’s a bit of feeling weak, tired and first wave of nerves kicking in that set me off but I did wake feeling more positive and the panic has subsided. I just hope it stays that way but I wondered if anyone got this in the lead up? not worried about the operation it’s self, more about whether you will succeed over all or not? Changing your life so much, is a scary prospect even when you know it will be for the better. I might be best not thinking about it for now and just concentrate on getting through the milk diet and to the hospital! Oh well at least I’m sticking to it 🙂 x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@shelleymarie 23594 wrote:

Just wanted to update. Day 5 and woke up feeling better, I’ve still got a little bit of an upset stomach, but glad yesterday is over as it was awful. Not because of the diet but because of how hard I was finding it made me feel like I would fail at losing and maintaining loss after the operation. I got very upset, maybe it’s a bit of feeling weak, tired and first wave of nerves kicking in that set me off but I did wake feeling more positive and the panic has subsided. I just hope it stays that way but I wondered if anyone got this in the lead up? not worried about the operation it’s self, more about whether you will succeed over all or not? Changing your life so much, is a scary prospect even when you know it will be for the better. I might be best not thinking about it for now and just concentrate on getting through the milk diet and to the hospital! Oh well at least I’m sticking to it 🙂 x

Everything you are feeling is utterly nomal. If you weren’t nervous and worried you wouldn’t be taking it seriously enough!

I remember the feeling of blind panic I had at the thought of not being able to turn to food anymore. It was like killing off an old friend, even if the friend was a toxic waste of space who tried to kill me. The friend was familiar, always lurking in the background to ‘help’ me when things got just too much to bear.

I can tell you with my hand on my heart that sometimes, I still miss that ugly, distructive friend who tried to leech the life out of me even though I can’t tell you why. I guess none of us like change – even for the better, if we don’t understand how to handle it. Wls is our tool. It is the big gun in our arsenal with which we can threaten our old ‘friend’ to bog off and leave us in peace. The trick to making wls work is finding a new friend whether it be exercise, a hobby, new interest or just getting back into life again. I’m going to post about this a bit later as it’s not easy to do.

Keep your eye on the prize and just do the very best you can. We are all here to help and support you – we really are xx

Doodah x

hazelann70

I’m just glad I had a nice pre-op plan and not just milk. At least it gave a bit of variety. I wonder why each surgeon has different pre-op plans? One would think that rather than asking someone to just have milk for 14 days, to let them have a little variety would ensure they find it easier. Who am I to judge though. I just know it was so easy for me and now I’m back on it, it’s quite nice. I feel I’m detoxing lol

Doodah
    Keymaster

The milk diet is known as the ‘Liver Shrinkage’ diet by our patients as that is the purpose of it. It makes the liver easier to get out of the way if it’s smaller so that the stomach is more easily (and safely) accessible. It works very, very well and is Streamline’s preferred pre-op plan. There is also something about the ‘strictness’ of the plan that sets the right mindframe for after surgery. I guess the word is discipline….

Other surgeons/companies may have their own.

hazelann70

Yeah, I get it’s the whole liver shrinkage diet but why does one surgeon tell you to be on milk and only milk yet another will tell you to go on the one they gave me? He told me it had worked and my liver was good so one can’t say more than that really. I think it’s down to, as you say, discipline! One form can be torchure for some and for others it’s bliss. I love the variety although the yogurt can get a bit sweet after a while so it’s nice to shop around to see what you can find for low cals. I’m loving the shape zero apple crumble and rhubarb crumble ones at the moment and they’re only 84 cals a go. It’s each to their own I suppose.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Certainly is – horses for courses 😉

shelleymarie

@Doodah 23610 wrote:

Everything you are feeling is utterly nomal. If you weren’t nervous and worried you wouldn’t be taking it seriously enough!

I remember the feeling of blind panic I had at the thought of not being able to turn to food anymore. It was like killing off an old friend, even if the friend was a toxic waste of space who tried to kill me. The friend was familiar, always lurking in the background to ‘help’ me when things got just too much to bear.

I can tell you with my hand on my heart that sometimes, I still miss that ugly, distructive friend who tried to leech the life out of me even though I can’t tell you why. I guess none of us like change – even for the better, if we don’t understand how to handle it. Wls is our tool. It is the big gun in our arsenal with which we can threaten our old ‘friend’ to bog off and leave us in peace. The trick to making wls work is finding a new friend whether it be exercise, a hobby, new interest or just getting back into life again. I’m going to post about this a bit later as it’s not easy to do.

Keep your eye on the prize and just do the very best you can. We are all here to help and support you – we really are xx

Doodah x

Thanks so much Doodah, it’s good to know it is normal. I’ve been able to tell my family and friends I’m not losing it lol. They got very worried I was going to back out but yesterday I had a complete turn about anyway. By the afternoon I had almost no appetite, my mood lifted lots and I had more energy. I even went out to a supermarket with my mum and brought some more tea, milk and bovril. I was absolutely fine. There wasn’t a chance I wouldn’t stick it out but I’m proud of self all the same. I still feel nervous of course but the excitement is back and I’m willing time to go quickly, not because I’m hungry but because I’m eager to get started on with the next bit 😀 x

Doodah
    Keymaster

YES!! That’s my girl! That’s the person who is going to kick obesity’s ass once and for all. So proud of you Shelley xx

shelleymarie

@Doodah 23640 wrote:

YES!! That’s my girl! That’s the person who is going to kick obesity’s ass once and for all. So proud of you Shelley xx

Thank so much Doodah, I’m feeling better everyday! and enjoying this sunshine too. I’m feeling very confident and hope I continue to do you proud. I’ve lost a stone already! and feeling physically better. Unfortunately I’ve been put on blood pressure tablets but fingers crossed that they get it down in time for the op. 5 days to go including today 🙂 xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Woo Hoo!! Countdown still going…..

I loved the countdown. Seriously! It was absolutely like waiting to give birth which, when you think about it, is exactly what we do – we give birth to the new us on the day of our surgery. I celebrate my surgery day as a birthday (I have two like the Queen haha) because it was the day I got my life back, in fact a better one than I had before.

I’m getting SO excited for you as I know how it feels. Yes it’s hard work but my LIFE it is worth it.

Doodah xx

shelleymarie

haha yes will like having two birthdays, will have to celebrate them surgery anniversary by doing something physical like going ice skating! I’ve always wanted to try that 😀 I have good news too, my blood pressure has already come down to the normal range so everything is looking good for thursday. 3 days to go! 🙂 x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media