Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Dangerous behaviour- alcohol

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป The Gastric Band operation ยป Dangerous behaviour- alcohol

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    pgoldsmith

Dear fellow bandsters

I was wondering if there is “dangerous behaviour” you could do to yourself. I had my band back in Oct, and have lost close to 4 stone since then. I am not in my sweet spot of my band, with little restriction. But have been good 99% of the time, salads fresh veg fruit, and been exercising a couple of times a week. I have one Achilles though, which is beer, I tend to go to see my club once a week a maybe have a pint or 2, not usually too bad. However last night managed 6 pints of bitter and had a v small kebab at the end of the night (that’s all I ate all day), obviously now have a terrible hangover, but was wondering if I was doing myself major damage, not the usual alcohol related stuff, but band specific, I have a 14mL band with bout 6mL in, am getting this topped up in march.

Be interested to know people’s thoughts

Paul

johncg

Hi Paul….

I had my band last day of August 2011. List around 25kilo.. I’m at harrow this morning to see quack…

Far be it for me to dictate to anyone who has a weakness, But as you say a few beers a week is well within normal alcohol intake, six pints I wonder if it could be the slippery sloop? And then a kebab !!! Is there such a thing as a small kebab??

My personal weakness Is wine… It will depend on what shift I’m doing but on average one bottle a week… Again normal situation this would not be a problem…

I have given up beer completely since operation… No fast food etc… I have had three fills so far and in the last two weeks find my intake and thought of food getting higher so time for a visit to quack for a fill….

Personally Paul I would not be able to drink 6 pints then a kebab ( not without being sick ) due to band restriction.

We all have a weakness and this is a tough journey, the hardest duet I have ever been on, but the mist rewarding…. And if I caused some discomfort to any band / bypass patient I’m very sorry, and I don’t know your background but It leaves a little bad taste in my mouth when I read some who have moaned that the band or bypass is not working and you read further into there threads and they are still binging, (especially when they were NHS funded) little McDonald hear, curry night out there fish and chips to cheer them up etc… Not that we aren’t entitled to a night out and try to live a normal life but we have to be careful and work hard with the band…

Each fill I have had has worked and I have thought that’s it I’ve reached the so called sweet spot, but then around 6/8 weeks later I find food is high on my mind, then of the harrow I go….

Last Saturday I had a medical for my work license the nurse I had not seen before and she did not have my past medical records, I passed every test that was set, her words were ” your breathing and respiratory system is that if a 20 year old” I was very pleased, I completed every exercise, hearing test blood pressure was very good (normally high) eye sight very good, but I failed the medical on them few very nice words BMI…. She told me I need to lose some weight witching the next three months or lose my license. I looked at her and wanted to cry, but just grinned and said yes. So in on light duties which made me laugh that being heavy I’m on light duties. !!! My boss was shocked as he knows how much wright I have lost.

By the way my BMI is 32…. Which is still obese…. A BMI of 30 is good… So only 2 points to drop within the next three months.
    What would she have said last year when my BMI was 46?????

Keep focused Paul

Love John xxxxx

pgoldsmith

Thanks John,

I know this is empty calories etc, and was silly, but so far my band has not really hit the spot I hasten to add YET but still loosing weight, so this has been down to will power mainly with the odd restrictive moment.

pgoldsmith

Thanks John

I know this is empty calories etc, and was silly, but so far my band has not really hit the spot I hasten to add YET but still loosing weight, so this has been down to will power mainly with the odd restrictive moment. I know not to do this and I was caught up in the moment with three of my best friends and we had just seen Brighton get thrashed 6-1! I was wondering if this volume is dangerous, I will keep on track this week, will give up beer for lent!!!

Sorry to hear about ur medical, do u think u can get ur BMI down??

Managed nearly 3ibs last week living on salad and fish, and swimming cycling whenever I can, I hope u don’t think I was moaning, just wondered if I had damaged myself, I don’t drink at home so it’s easy for me to have a dry period at the footie for a while

pgoldsmith
    pgoldsmith wrote:
    Thanks John,

I know this is empty calories etc, and was silly, but so far my band has not really hit the spot I hasten to add YET but still loosing weight, so this has been down to will power mainly with the odd restrictive moment.

Oops got chopped off, sorry to hear about ur medical John. Hope I didn’t come across as moaning, just wondered if I damaged myself caught up in the moment last might with three best friends and a 6-1 thrashing at Liverpool!!! Will now give up beer for lent, on my first couple of fills couldn’t take the stuff, but back to normal now so obviously need a fill. BTW it was a small grilled chicken wrap, just found the receipt in my pocket from the bab shop!! Not bad considering I was three sheets to the wind. Have a good week
    Paul

johncg

Hi Paul

Not co soldered you moaning in fact when I re thought what you Said I thought how honest you were in sharing your feelings, not sure I would have admitted it.. So top off to you mate, as I said we all have a weakness and as long as weight comes off what the heck….. I normally have a bottle of wine that will last over the weekend but when I celebrated my 50th last December I downed three in one night although I could not eat a thing from the hotel menu… Then I stayed of the wine over the next month… But also think what we would have eaten before WLS, that puts it in perspective. Like you most likely drank lots of beer always washed down with a ruby or two… And a bag of chips for the way home…

Keep going mate we will both get there I’m sure….

Think I should be ok by next medical….. Trying to work out what what weight equals to 2 points on the BMI scale?

Love John xxxxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Paul

I just want to second what John said about you being brave in admitting that you have had a hiccup in your regime.

You are so right in that we all have a weak spot. Mine is cake – any type of cake. You would be amazed how many times cake is part of a celebration or outing. Cup cakes are my absolute worst friend as I find it so hard to resist them, even though I know they will make me sick or feel absoutely wretched. I try to steer away from them when I am feeling vulnerable. It’s the beginning of Lent on Wednesday so I am going to give up all ‘bad’ foods that have crept back into my diet (tiny, tiny amounts though) The only thing I cannot give up is some sugar in my tea. I have maintained my weight for 2.5 years taking sugar in my tea so I see no need to stop now. However, the other naughty little things do me no good whatsoever so can be ditched.

I think the fact that you are so honest not just with others, but with yourself, is a sign that you will be just fine. It means you will ask for help and boy do we all need it?! It’s just that some don’t ask for it and go ‘off the rails’ sometimes. Good for you for knowing your own downfalls and trying to address them.

Doodah xx

pgoldsmith

Thanks Doodah & John,have decided no beer for lent!! I have a goal as it my 40th in May want to drop a stone by then.

John by my calculations if ur 5ft 8″ tall then to drop BMI from 32 to 30 u need to loose about 1/2 stone, I am a Dr of Pharmacology so used to these kind of calculations!!

Paul

Doodah
    Keymaster

Paul, isn’t it amazing how so many of us are intelligent, well educated people who are confident in our chosen fields, yet have absolutely no control over our weight pre op? It completely goes against the terrible stereotype of fat people being ‘stupid and lazy’ doesn’t it? I wish I had the time to research it. There is a definite correlation.

Doodah x

johncg

Paul cheers for the calculation, I knew the answer really… Lol… I was off school when we learned how to do that…..

Doodah sure we all have weakness, and with this forum we find help, and love from our friends.

Had my fourth fill at harrow today. Boy it’s tight…. Lost another 8 kilos since last fill mid December…. All ok very pleased.
    When I went to my GP two months before WLS my readings were BMI 46 now 32..Yipeeee was 140 kilos. Now 102 Yipeeee I’ll get into my Elvis outfit now…. Lol

Love John xxxx

katy

Hey doodah
    You may have just given me a research project for my masters dissertation !!

Back on the pre op diet today after a birthday weekend of over indulgence! (felt rank after a three course Italian on Thursday night) I’m actually happy to be on the pre op again as I feel I need the detox!! 2 weeks today….that’s only 13 more sleeps ๐Ÿ˜‰
    Love Katy

midge
    johncg wrote:
    Paul cheers for the calculation, I knew the answer really… Lol… I was off school when we learned how to do that…..

Doodah sure we all have weakness, and with this forum we find help, and love from our friends.

Had my fourth fill at harrow today. Boy it’s tight…. Lost another 8 kilos since last fill mid December…. All ok very pleased.
    When I went to my GP two months before WLS my readings were BMI 46 now 32..Yipeeee was 140 kilos. Now 102 Yipeeee I’ll get into my Elvis outfit now…. Lol

Love John xxxx

You have done brilliantly , isn’t it amazing how our lives can be turned round if I hadn’t of had my band 8 years ago I’m sure I wouldn’t be here now or if I was not i’n a good place . I love reading how well people have done and I think it gives me determination
    Midge xx

pgoldsmith

Hi Doodah, yes never had a problem on the professional front. My Dad died when I was 7 and from then on I was fat, I think it was a combination of people compensating me for the loss of my dad, the odd treat etc, and then having to look after myself whilst my mum worked. But hey, I did alright just a bit porky and am sorting that out at long last, nearly 4 stone down and 3 to go for a perfect BMI!!!

Paul

Doodah
    Keymaster

@pgoldsmith 21888 wrote:

Hi Doodah, yes never had a problem on the professional front. My Dad died when I was 7 and from then on I was fat, I think it was a combination of people compensating me for the loss of my dad, the odd treat etc, and then having to look after myself whilst my mum worked. But hey, I did alright just a bit porky and am sorting that out at long last, nearly 4 stone down and 3 to go for a perfect BMI!!!

Paul

Well done you! That’s fantastic.

Behind every obese person is a story of hardship or loss. I have heard many, many stories believe me so I know this to be true. Even I have my own (which I won’t bore you lovely people with but, I am writing a book about it.) So Katy – get mugging up on it hon: your dissertation awaits ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah xx

katy

Haha….my dissertation can blooming well wait (at least until after the 5th march ๐Ÿ™‚ )

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media