Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Couple of questions

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    shelleymarie

Hi all,

So I was thinking about life after bypass, as you do, and I started thinking about things like my friends birthdays, and events like that and thought obviously I’m going to be invited to go out to pubs/bars, but what am I going to drink? I mean I want to avoid alcohol for at least a year, if not permanently because of the empty calories/getting drunk easily etc. Also I know fruit juices can be a problem because of the sugar and carbonated drinks because of the bubbles. So what do you guys do? especially in those first 6 months or so. Obviously I can drink water but it’s not very exciting. Maybe I’ll have to ask for it on the rocks with an umbrella in it? lol.

The other question is about medication. I know I will go through my meds at my pre-op so I’m not worried, I was just wondering if anyone was on antidepressants before the surgery and if you had any problems taking them after? If you don’t mind sharing. I’m on a hefty amount that I’ve been on years, a couple of them have bad side effects if you stop without withdrawing slowly so was just interested in other peoples experiences really. Would be also interested to know if anyone on them before the surgery got off them after the surgery. That is something I’m hoping for.

Anyway if anyone can answer any of these questions I’d be grateful.

Thank you
    Shelley x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Re the drinking it is probably better to stick to bottled water on ice with a lemon slice, boring I know but it’s better in the early days, or you could try fruit juice cut with water, that will keep the sugar levels down, but it wil be expensive as water is the most expensive drink in a pub.

As for the anti- depressants, if your weight is the sole reason for your depression then there is no reason why you could not cut them down as you loose weight. It will be better to talk to the health professional that is prescribing them as they will know the best options for reducing the amount you take.

Paul

katy

Hi Shelley
    I still go out with my friends and either drink bottled water with ice and a slice of lime or coffee if they sell it. It takes a big of getting used to and I did pop out to the local the other night and was very annoyed as they didn’t have bottled water or hot drinks!! If I go to a dinner party I try and pick up a bottle of wine for my partner and a bottle of the still flavoured water with no added sugar and that suits me fine.
    I stopped drinking a few months before the op, partly to prepare myself and also because booze did not mix well with the 20 odd pills a day that I was taking.
    I now take 4 tablets for a back injury and my anti depressants.
    They do stop all of your meds when you have the op and I did find that the combination of withdrawal and feeling a little under the weather was not great for me so I saw my gp and got back on them in the first week (liquid form but I had to fight for it!)
    The nurses at the hospital told me that they had undertaken many clinical trials with meds and it was safe to stop most things but if you are worried I would advise talking to your gp to see what they think.
    I had my bypass 8 weeks ago and am off most of my meds including blood pressure tablets and have lost 5 and a half stone. I feel great apart from the occasional tiredness and am aiming to come off the antidepressants over the coming months.
    I wish you lots of luck and if you have any other questions feel free to ask or pm me 🙂
    Love Katy

Doodah
    Keymaster

@shelleymarie 23086 wrote:

Hi all,

So I was thinking about life after bypass, as you do, and I started thinking about things like my friends birthdays, and events like that and thought obviously I’m going to be invited to go out to pubs/bars, but what am I going to drink? I mean I want to avoid alcohol for at least a year, if not permanently because of the empty calories/getting drunk easily etc. Also I know fruit juices can be a problem because of the sugar and carbonated drinks because of the bubbles. So what do you guys do? especially in those first 6 months or so. Obviously I can drink water but it’s not very exciting. Maybe I’ll have to ask for it on the rocks with an umbrella in it? lol.

The other question is about medication. I know I will go through my meds at my pre-op so I’m not worried, I was just wondering if anyone was on antidepressants before the surgery and if you had any problems taking them after? If you don’t mind sharing. I’m on a hefty amount that I’ve been on years, a couple of them have bad side effects if you stop without withdrawing slowly so was just interested in other peoples experiences really. Would be also interested to know if anyone on them before the surgery got off them after the surgery. That is something I’m hoping for.

Anyway if anyone can answer any of these questions I’d be grateful.

Thank you
    Shelley x

You could take a little bottle of sugar free syrup to add to your iced bottled water to ring the changes and ask for lemon/lime/orange slices. Either that or I drank tea! Still do.

As for anti-depressants, I take none at all and haven’t from about one month post surgery. I used to be on 3 Fluoxetine a day so you can imagine my level of depression. The fact that my life had been saved by the surgery and I could see a future for both myself and my family again meant I was able to fight back even harder. It wasn’t easy but I managed it and, if I can, anyone can xx

Doodah

shelleymarie

Thank you all for your replies they are very helpful. I like iced water, good idea to put a slice of lemon/lime in it. Makes it a bit more interesting. Also knowing that you Katy are feeling like you could come of the antidepressants in the near future (by the way congrat’s of the 5 and half stone weight loss, amazing!) and that you doodah came of them of them soon after sounds really promising. Hopefully that will be the same for me. I will have a discussion with my GP and at preop about them. I take venlafaxine which are renowned for very bad withrawal symptoms so hopefully I will be to find a way not to miss too many doses.

Thanks again for your help 🙂

Shelley x

Doodah
    Keymaster

I know venlafaxine well. They are horrible little beggers. My friend used to take them along with a crate of other stuff. She had really severe bi-polar disorder. Let’s hope you get loads of help to come off them at a time that suits YOU. It’s not a race is it? we are all different. You need to be kind to yourself and if that means staying on them for a while then so be it xx

Doodah x

shelleymarie

Yeah I’m in no rush, as you say they are horrible little things I wouldn’t recommend to anyone, I’ve been on them so long now, maybe a bit through fear of how hard it is to get off them but I’m confident that when my life style starts to improve after surgery, facing stuff like this will be easier because I’ll have more fight in me. If that make sense 🙂

x

Doodah
    Keymaster

That makes 110% perfect sense to me Shelley.

I was so scared of coming off my anti depressants because I had been depressed and hopeless for SO long. However, the minute I woke up from my surgery I felt like the weight of the world had already been lifted from my shoulders and that my body would eventually catch up. It did. I felt lighter both in spirit and body. As my confidence grew (and my body shrank) I was able to face any challenges with the absolute belief that I could actually win. I didn’t win them all but I believed I could and so tried. Before I wouldn’t have even considered it.

I’m so excited for you. I love seeing people emerge like butterflies from a chrysalis – not longer scuttling caterpillars hiding under leaves but beautiful, agile creatures soaring high in the sky and flitting from flower to flower. Sorry got a bit carried away with the whole butterfly imagery there haha!! But you know what I mean. I do because I was that scuttling little bug!! My life has changed so much since my wls and I know how much it can do for others. It literally saved my life and gave me a better one.

Doodah xx

shelleymarie

Thanks Doodah, I do understand your comparison and look forward to a future as a butterfly rather than a caterpillar 😀 x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@shelleymarie 23385 wrote:

Thanks Doodah, I do understand your comparison and look forward to a future as a butterfly rather than a caterpillar 😀 x

I look forward to hearing all about it ;-))

Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media