Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

constipation – part 5

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    kellbell

Hello, Need some advice please! 3 weeks (Monday) post op, can I take 1 dulcolax tablet?

Lauren
    Keymaster

@kellbell 33401 wrote:

Hello, Need some advice please! 3 weeks (Monday) post op, can I take 1 dulcolax tablet?

Hi kellbell

I’m not a clinician so can’t give clinical advice. However, several things can help ease constipation – drinking lots of water, high fibre food and gentle exercise. I start with senna tablets then work up to dulcolax even being after 6.5 years post op. I think the best thing for you to do is phone your bariatric team just to be on the safe side as it might not be ok depending on which surgery you had (bypassers malabsorb)

Anyway, I hope this is helpful. Please let us know how you get on and if you learn any new tips.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Have a chat with the bartric nurse in your team. They happy to talk to you on the phone . Personally I took sugar free lactulose to soften the stools and made sure I had runny weetabixs at your stage . I think I did take a dulcolax but like sue said you could phone your team or speak to your GP on the phone . . I have used glycerin suppositories ( alway lay in your left hand side when inserting suppositories or enemma or you can do more damage ) and dulcolax two . And have also need enemma . But I have really poblems I have a prolapse so I really have to keep on top of the constipation . If I don’t go for three days I take two dulcolax but in 15 month post RYN But constipation is horrendous and so painful . I do hope you get sorted

Lauren
    Keymaster

It really can be incredibly painful, either stuck inside you or trying to get out so to speak. I have been desperate in the past and ended up almost crying with with the pain. I think it would be best to speak to your team at this early stage too.

Please let us know how you get on especially if something different is suggested to you as it might be helpful to us all.

Doodah x

kellbell

Hi thank you for your advise i had gastric bypass now week 4! I am taking a daily Hi-Fibre drink Fybogel and I’ve tired milk of magnesia liquid which is good for overnight relief without being painful like dulcolax.

Also it struggling abit with portion size atm my brain isn’t telling me when I’m full at all and
    there’s been a few times were I’ve not known I’m full had another mouth full and had pain but haven’t been sick

Lauren
    Keymaster

@kellbell 33415 wrote:

Hi thank you for your advise i had gastric bypass now week 4! I am taking a daily Hi-Fibre drink Fybogel and I’ve tired milk of magnesia liquid which is good for overnight relief without being painful like dulcolax.

Also it struggling abit with portion size atm my brain isn’t telling me when I’m full at all and
    there’s been a few times were I’ve not known I’m full had another mouth full and had pain but haven’t been sick

It takes quite a while for your brain to catch up with your body. My own way is to only ever dish up half of what I think I need.I can always have more if I need it – I never do! Do you have a portion control plate? I use mine every single day.

Bariatric Portion Plate | | Bariatric Cookery

I personally think this plate is better suited to someone who is at least 6 months post wls. It’s far too much for a ‘newbie’ in my humble (non clinical) opinion.

Plain old water and gentle exercise is best for constipation – again my own opinion. The other thing I drink is cabbage water. Or any leafy green cooking liquid really. Nice and warm with a little bit of yeast extract in it. It’s a bit like french onion soup without the onions haha! It works wonders for the skin too.

I hope you find your OWN way of dealing with it my lovely

Doodah x

kellbell

my brain is saying eat but belly saying no and can’t, I am eating off a tea plate or have a child’s bowl I just hope I’m not over eating for week 4 and I haven’t had any problems with any foods apart from broccoli had a foamy mucus and was horrible.

I was only drinking a small bottle of water 500mls a day but since reading stuff on here I now realise how important it is to drink more water, Now I aim for 1.5l a day!
    🙂 x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Isn’t it amazing how simple some problems are to resolve, Kell?!

We are all told (not just wls people) to drink more and I actually believe it is not quite as easy as it sounds. I manage it now, but found it very hard in the early days. I bought little bottles in a six pack (from a £1 shop!) and then filled them up with spring water from a larger bottle once they were empty. this meant i could virtually have one in every room so didn’t even have to worry about carrying it round with me. Laziness can sometimes be extremely efficient haha!

It will all be very much a learning curve at first but you will get the hang of it. be kind to your body, it is trying it’s hardest for you. Glad you are feeling a bit better.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

At theis stage I use a ramekin dish and could eat half of it . I then like Doodah used a Baratric plate . I only use this and still have eyes bigger than my pouch !! Try weetabix with hot milk that always works for me and keep up the fluids x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Bran flakes work for me too. They are yummy

I’ve just been reminded of shredded wheat with hot milk too….may have to get some today!

Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media