Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Constipation – part 4

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    onewayoflife
    Participant

Hi all,

Has anyone got advice about constipation post bypass? I had my op 6 days ago and am struggling to eat because of pain due to constipation.

Can i ate anything for it?

Katy x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hi Katy

Constipation is a problem after any General Anaesthetic as it slows down our entire system, plus painkillers are notorious for causing it.

I got senna tablets for mine. However, a strong cup of coffee or tea usually does the trick for me.

I’m not a clinician so you would be better off contacting your team if nothing is moving after a week. Of course there is always ‘drink more water’ and this is a good idea in general as it will flush everything through.

So, it is entirely normal to be constipated after surgery but you should never leave it until it is painful. Call your team for advice or refer to your own GP.

Hope that helps

Doodah x

Littleteef

Dietician recommended prune juice to me which did the trick!

Chichester recomended glycerin supositories for me they worked in less than 10mins xxxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@soon to be skinny 29382 wrote:

Chichester recomended glycerin supositories for me they worked in less than 10mins xxxx

Now that’s the rate of success I would be after!!

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I am 18 months post opp and have always had a slow digestive tract so post bypass constipation has always been a big issue with me.

In the early days post surgery the only thing that would work was Glycerine and Ducalax Suppositories and sometimes both together when it got really bad.

For the last year I have been taking a daily dose of Movicol which has really helped.

Make sure you are drinking the minimum of 2 litres of water a day though as because of the drastic reduction in your food intake it all stays in much longer so the body can take much more out of it and that includes any water, so it ends up being to hard and dry to pass un added. If you get my drift.

Hope this has been of help.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Share time – might be too much info for some!

I take a daily dose of painkillers for my arthritis and fibromyalgia and have handfuls of meds/inhalers/sprays for my asthma, so, I am almost always constipated to some degree or another. I have found that when it gets really bad two Dulcolax gets the job done the next day. To such an extent that I will only take it if I know I don’t have to rush off out anywhere in the morning! Boy does it work.

I get senna tablets from my GP and also Movical. Paul is absolutely right about making sure you take in as much fluid as possible. Some of our hydration comes from our food – we eat very little, hence drastically reduced amounts of fluid. These are just our ways of dealing with the problem. If you ever become really concerned, please refer to your GP or team – especially if you are a newbie.

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

And what ever you do, don’t make like the constipated mathematician and try to work it out with Pencil and Paper;)

Or a Spoon, You know who you are Mrs Geller with the draw full of bent spoons :tape:

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hahahahahaha!!!! I’m crying with laughter here now Paul!! Mrs Geller!

😀

Doodah x

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media