Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Constipation – part 3

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • Author
    hayley

Day 6 after my opp and coping really well, but have terrible constipation, never experienced this before, wow it’s uncomfortable, taken some milk of magnesia hoping that will shif it…..

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Hayley,
    Try prune juice, it worked for me after my op.
    Elaine xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Water, water, water and a bit of walking 😉

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Constipation is a big issue for some people after WLS I think I went to the loo for the first time almost 14 days post op and even then only will the help of suppositories, even now with a much higher fibre intake I still only manage to go every seven days, although I very rarely need any chemical help. I suspect in my case I just have a very slow digestive transit. Plenty of water and walking as said above will help.

Just don’t let it get too bad as the last thing you want is a manual evacuation at hospital, yes it can be that bad.

Paul

Spikeyjaycee

Just don’t let it get too bad as the last thing you want is a manual evacuation at hospital, yes it can be that bad.

Yes as someone who has had that happen to her….it is not nice!!!! A foot long blockage back up to my colon……..
    Try lactolose and movicol as well if the prune jouce doesn’t work.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Sorry if you are squeamish….I once ended up at my GP surgery with quite a nasty tear ‘there’ as I was so desperate, I tried to manually evacuate myself with a spoon.

Please don’t ever let it get that bad. Dulcolax works well, if somewhat quickly and Movical softens everything up so it isn’t excruciating when you eventually ‘go’. You can take up to eight sachets for an impaction.

Sorry for the graphic nature of this post but I always promised I would be brutally honest about the highs AND lows of wls.

78rpm

I have to agree with water water and more water worked for me!

Deifersmum
    Participant

ditto, water, water everywhere. In the first days post op I made sure I had weetabix for breakfast and, not sure it it helped but I was one of the lucky one’s who managed to ‘go’ the day after my op, the wind helped !!!!!! but seriously, don’t leave it too long before you seek medical help, if noting seems to be working ask the experts.

Take care, thinking of you.

Love
    Lesley
    xxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Deifersmum 23751 wrote:

ditto, water, water everywhere. In the first days post op I made sure I had weetabix for breakfast and, not sure it it helped but I was one of the lucky one’s who managed to ‘go’ the day after my op, the wind helped !!!!!! but seriously, don’t leave it too long before you seek medical help, if noting seems to be working ask the experts.

Take care, thinking of you.

Love
    Lesley
    xxx

Fantastic advice as usual, Lesly ;-))

hazelann70

I was told to take Lactulose and that worked for me. Just dilute it in some warm water and sip away. Still use it now if I ever feel the need but with the foods I can eat I doubt I’ll need it for a while! Off to London tomorrow to see the head dr. Open mind, open mind – I’m sure if their strategies are that good we would all have heard of them but hey, anything’s worth a try.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Good luck love. Please let us know how you get on 😉

Blue Staffy

Hi this may sound crude but how often should I be going to the toilet for a number 2 sorry but I need to ask as in going 2 x a week
    Regards Mark

Sent from my iPad using WLS FORUM

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Blue Staffy

never be worried about asking ‘personal’ questions as we all learn from them.

In an ideal world, you shoud be as regular as you were before wls. So, if you used to go every day them aim for that (‘scuse that terrible schoolboy humour haha!) I think the ‘normal’ desired amount of times is daily but we are all so very different that I think it’s almost impossible to pin it down to an actual figure.

So long as you are comfortable and not feeling any pain on going – it’s normal for you!

Doodah x

ps loads of water is the key to staying regular 😉

alalgar

Mark, I am getting linseeds one teaspoon in a muller yogourt 1 hour before going to bed when I feel a bit blocked and it works very well, not forgetting the 2 litres of water daily and fibre (weetabix, vegies, etc.). Alvaro

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Mark. How are things ‘going’?!

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 19 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media