Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

considering reversal of bypass

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    ruby tuesday

I wondered if anyone else has experienced this post-bypass; my tummy will pass gas stored overnight in the morning, and then be flat for just a few hours, but will start to build up gas inside from midday, giving me a rock hard and painful tummy by the evening, regardless of what food eaten/liquids drunk.

Please don’t offer any suggestions to try to help with the gas build up, however well meant, as this has been a long standing problem which the surgeon agrees is happening with no relation to my very healthy and very well controlled diet, which remains in small portions, so definately not in my power to control! I have read up on all gas casing foods/drinks, and am very very careful in my food intake!

Just for info, I have had stomach ulcers since the bypass in 2011.

My surgeon having tried a course of tablets to restore good bacteria levels, is kindly offering a bypass reversal. Has anyone else either had the problems with wind as I described, or had a bypass reversal?

Dizzy
    Participant

I am so sorry to hear you are having difficulties… i passed wind all day long n all through the night, until i cut bread out of my diet completely… i was reknowned for my ” farting” honestly…. my GP in the end decided to try an elimination process and it took 4 long weeks but as soon as i cut out the bread , it very nearly stopped completely…. i am not saying that it would be the same for you as it sounds as though you have tried almost everything…. just wanted to let you know i experienced the same symptoms… boy did it hurt…..

treeza

You don’t want to live with me! Always very windy! Ok if your home & you can let it blow freely but so jolly uncomfortable when your out or at work! I think it’s true of most of us?? Sometimes it’s rather offensive too. At night the noise in my stomach keeps me awake! I hope you find relief somehow Hun. Maybe if you do let us know what helped x if I had the choice between wind & going back to where I was 7 months ago I would choose the wind but we are all different. Take care xxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

I don’t know a single person who has had a reversal so I’m afraid I’m not much use to you. Hope you get the problem sorted without having to resort to such desperate measures.

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

not sure how a reversal will help as the gas production is in your intestines not your stomach which does not see any food post bypass. I would ask for a second opinion before going down the reversal route.

Paul

Doodah
    Keymaster

I’m sure Ruby has not considered a reversal lightly. I know I would be terrified, so it is a brave consideration.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Is their a Baratric surgeon forum where you can ask a question to international Baratric surgeon, I don’t know but if your difficulty is very rare then some one abroad may have dealt with similar difficulties ?

Doodah
    Keymaster

I have no doubt that the surgeons/team at Streamline will have already thought of that Kim. However, it would make for interesting reading from a patient viewpoint.

Doodah x

ruby tuesday

Thanks for the replies, I appreciate the response.

I don’t eat bread, so cannot cut that out, and have tried every type of food combination and elimination going.

I have not had a second opinion, as Mr Somers is such a renown surgeon, but do now have someone recommended to ask for a referral to,having had a reply from a patient with the same problem, and will see if a second opinion differs.

I understand what you say Paul, and Mr Somers did say there is no guarantee a reversal would solve the problem, but it may be that the new ‘plumbing’ itself is causing the difficulties, and the fact that the food is not being absorbed from the stomach can be what is causing the build up of gas, clearly the problem was caused by the bypass, which is why he feels reversal to be an option.

I too have met many people who pass gas constantly, and I have never had that problem, mine is building up through the day in a rock hard tummy, and will not pass until the morning, which is a bit different, and hard to live with.

Doodah
    Keymaster

A second opinion is always recommended Ruby. Even if you have the top surgeon’s already! I sincerely hope you find an answer and one that you can live and work with. Good luck.

Doodah x

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media