Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

‘Coming out’ about weight loss surgery

Home » Topics » General Section » Obesity & Weight Loss Surgery Debates and Media. » ‘Coming out’ about weight loss surgery

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Doodah
    Keymaster

Don't Keep Bariatric Surgery a Secret – NYTimes.com

Hi everyone

I have just seen this on our Facebook page and thought it was hugely interesting.

Have you ever been ‘in the closet’ regarding your own wls? Or, like me, have you always shouted it from the rooftops? Do you think there would be more openness if people were less critical about wls – ‘magic wand’ and all that nonsense! Do you think it will ever be accepted as the hard slog it really is?

Love to hear your thoughts on this one 😉

Doodah x

Lelly

Hello Doodah, my name is Lelly and I am currently waiting for my MDT appointment at St Richards. I have been told that it should be in January but no letter yet. It has already been a long road and I have been fat all of my life, so I am talking to anyone and everyone about ( I hope ) my forthcoming surgery. To me this is a miracle, to be given the chance of having a life and not being treated like some reject will be truly life changing. My friend had her gastric bypass in April 2013 and wow, that is all that I can say. I am proud to have been with her during this remarkable transformation. My hubby and my children are nervous as I make no bones about it, I am huge but as I told them it’s this or literally nothing. I have been reading this forum and have found it really comforting and friendly but only now have I braved putting a post on.

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Lelly 32837 wrote:

Hello Doodah, my name is Lelly and I am currently waiting for my MDT appointment at St Richards. I have been told that it should be in January but no letter yet. It has already been a long road and I have been fat all of my life, so I am talking to anyone and everyone about ( I hope ) my forthcoming surgery. To me this is a miracle, to be given the chance of having a life and not being treated like some reject will be truly life changing. My friend had her gastric bypass in April 2013 and wow, that is all that I can say. I am proud to have been with her during this remarkable transformation. My hubby and my children are nervous as I make no bones about it, I am huge but as I told them it’s this or literally nothing. I have been reading this forum and have found it really comforting and friendly but only now have I braved putting a post on.

Hi Lelly and welcome to our friendly forum.

You will be made most welcome by every single member – that I can guarantee!

As you can imagine, we have all had exactly the same feeling you have so nothing you ever say will seem insignificant of plain daft!

Of course your husband and children are worried. It is major surgery so it would be foolish not to have any worries at all. I personally know exactly how you feel about ‘all or nothing’ as I was given 5 years max to live without wls. My BMI was 64 so it really was my last chance at having a ‘normal’ life. I am SO GLAD I did it. I have already had an extra year as my surgery was 6 years ago.

You say you are ‘huge’ but you are amongst friends here Lelly. I was a size 34 at 5′ 3″ so size actually doesn’t register that much here. You have been a hugely supportive friend to someone who has had wls so I know you will be ready to face whatever comes your way. I had mine done at St Richard’s so you will be in the very best of hands. They are a great team (they ALL are actually.)

So, fire away with any questions you may have. If it is of a very personal nature, it might be best to use a private message so that it won’t get picked up by Google. I’m almost always on hand should you have a ‘wobble’ about it all.

So looking forward to hearing all about your journey. Don’t panic about no letter yet. This is a very, very busy time of year.

Welcome aboard the good ship ‘Future’.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

@Lelly 32837 wrote:

Hi lelly , your so welcome here , it’s understandable that your family are worried . It’s is major surgery . But I can honestly say that I found streamline team brilliant . If your read my post your know I failed my anaesthetics . My experince is that they do really look into all aspect of your healthy before that operate . Although I was so sad I can now see how helpful it was that I saw a cardiologist and a cardiac surgeon before I had me WLS . Now 18 months ago I wouldn’t have said that I would be saying do it now I don’t care . So I’m grateful that they thought about all aspect of my physical health . I can say with my hand on my heart that Shaw Somers saved my life . Tomorrow it will be a year sine I had my bypass . I’m so much happier , usually I can do so much more physically that I couldn’t before , but I’m recovering from appendectomy , and I have to remember my self I’m not a young women any more !!!! So two major abdominal surgery in 10 months has meant I have had to rethink my expectations of my self . In my head I want to get up in the morning do all the house work , do two hours in the gym , come home see friend do all the other things .doh!!! I’m 56 with a cardiac history and I had to reprogrammed my brain that in not 26 any more even though losing all this weight I feel like it lol xx

Lelly

It was so lovely to read your comments and thank you for making me so very welcome. I have been told that there are to be 2 or three clinics in January, as one may have to be cancelled. The surgeons for these clinics are Chris Pring, Guy Slater and William Hawkins. I have definitely heard of the first two and in fact my friend had Guy Slater but I don’t know William Hawkins, has anyone had him? I am just getting stupidly nervous as I googled him and the first thing that came up was an article about him in relation to an inquest of a lady who had died following a gastric bypass argghhhhh!

Lelly

@Kimberly 32839 wrote:

Hi lelly , your so welcome here , it’s understandable that your family are worried . It’s is major surgery . But I can honestly say that I found streamline team brilliant . If your read my post your know I failed my anaesthetics . My experince is that they do really look into all aspect of your healthy before that operate . Although I was so sad I can now see how helpful it was that I saw a cardiologist and a cardiac surgeon before I had me WLS . Now 18 months ago I wouldn’t have said that I would be saying do it now I don’t care . So I’m grateful that they thought about all aspect of my physical health . I can say with my hand on my heart that Shaw Somers saved my life . Tomorrow it will be a year sine I had my bypass . I’m so much happier , usually I can do so much more physically that I couldn’t before , but I’m recovering from appendectomy , and I have to remember my self I’m not a young women any more !!!! So two major abdominal surgery in 10 months has meant I have had to rethink my expectations of my self . In my head I want to get up in the morning do all the house work , do two hours in the gym , come home see friend do all the other things .doh!!! I’m 56 with a cardiac history and I had to reprogrammed my brain that in not 26 any more even though losing all this weight I feel like it lol xx

You have done so well, I am hoping that my op will not be delayed, as our youngest Son is getting married in October next year and I want to wear something that I like rather than something that fits…ish. I really do not want people to stare at me because I look like a beached whale. Does anyone know how long after the MDT appointment the op will be (if I am successful).
    It must be lovely to have energy, it has been a long time since I have had any.

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Lelly and welcome. I have to say that I was very much like you as I approached surgery, I obsessed about the risks and feared the worst. The fact is that wls carries risks, all surgery does and there is no such thing as routine. However, we are given the facts and we decide for ourselves if this is what we want.

For me, I’d tried anything and everything to try to control my weight in the past. I had some success occasionally but always gained it back, and more too usually. I was told that wls is not a magic wand, and it has proved not to be one, but I am so happy with what I have now. My bypass was 7 months ago, I have lost 8.5 stone and I have 1.5 to go. My loss has slowed right down now and I have to really work for it but from a purely vain point of view, I feel “normal”. Most of my clothes are a size 16 and I can shop for clothes in almost any store.

I have a level of activity now that I couldn’t imagine before, I’m no gym bunny (some forum users are) but I have a lovely dog and we cover miles these day. I can walk uphill without getting out of breath, sweating a bucket and turning puce. A flight of stairs was too much for me before. And I’ve rediscovered swimming, which was a passion of mine as a child. My blood pressure has returned to normal and I feel great. My family aren’t worried about me like they used to be. I’ve started riding my motorcycle again regularly, although not so much now its cold. I went on a camping holiday in September, another passion that I’d given up since I could’t fit in a sleeping bag anymore. I have changed my job and am now back doing something I’m interested in, rather than putting up with the job I had because I hadn’t the confidence to go for an interview. And speaking of confidence, I often strike up conversations with strangers these days whilst out dog walking, rather than casting my eyes to the ground because I was ashamed of my obesity. I can even talk men!

There is a lot to look forward to. Keep in touch with the users on here. Whatever you are worrying about or any question you have, someone on here will answer. I don’t know about your waiting times, it seems to vary a great deal. When you attend your appointment, go armed with a list of questions for your team, the’ll be glad to help you.

Chris

bikerchris
    Participant

Just looking at my post makes me realise I ought to get round to updating my avatar, that one doesn’t look like me anymore!

Doodah
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32842 wrote:

Hi Lelly and welcome. I have to say that I was very much like you as I approached surgery, I obsessed about the risks and feared the worst. The fact is that wls carries risks, all surgery does and there is no such thing as routine. However, we are given the facts and we decide for ourselves if this is what we want.

For me, I’d tried anything and everything to try to control my weight in the past. I had some success occasionally but always gained it back, and more too usually. I was told that wls is not a magic wand, and it has proved not to be one, but I am so happy with what I have now. My bypass was 7 months ago, I have lost 8.5 stone and I have 1.5 to go. My loss has slowed right down now and I have to really work for it but from a purely vain point of view, I feel “normal”. Most of my clothes are a size 16 and I can shop for clothes in almost any store.

I have a level of activity now that I couldn’t imagine before, I’m no gym bunny (some forum users are) but I have a lovely dog and we cover miles these day. I can walk uphill without getting out of breath, sweating a bucket and turning puce. A flight of stairs was too much for me before. And I’ve rediscovered swimming, which was a passion of mine as a child. My blood pressure has returned to normal and I feel great. My family aren’t worried about me like they used to be. I’ve started riding my motorcycle again regularly, although not so much now its cold. I went on a camping holiday in September, another passion that I’d given up since I could’t fit in a sleeping bag anymore. I have changed my job and am now back doing something I’m interested in, rather than putting up with the job I had because I hadn’t the confidence to go for an interview. And speaking of confidence, I often strike up conversations with strangers these days whilst out dog walking, rather than casting my eyes to the ground because I was ashamed of my obesity. I can even talk men!

There is a lot to look forward to. Keep in touch with the users on here. Whatever you are worrying about or any question you have, someone on here will answer. I don’t know about your waiting times, it seems to vary a great deal. When you attend your appointment, go armed with a list of questions for your team, the’ll be glad to help you.

Chris

Fab update Chris.

Can’t wait to see the new avatar!

Doodah x

treeza

@”Lelly 32837″ wrote:

Hi Lelly & welcome to this wonderful forum. Wishing you all the very best on your weight loss journey. Keep coming on here it certainly helped me through my journey both pre & post operatively. I’ve made some amazing friends on here. Some I e meet in person & others I’ve only chatted to on here. Everyone is so inspirational helping me to keep moving forward. Stay strong & keep fighting. As you say you’ve seen the change its made to your friend. I’m nearly 13 stone down in 16 months & my life has changed for the better in so many ways. Sending loads of love x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Surrounding yourself with positive people is a valuable lesson to learn.

I have had to say goodbye to several ‘friends’ over the years as they have either put or let me down. If someone can’t be happy for you and your success, then they are not a real friend.

It really is a tricky one to get the hang of but it gets easier. BE with positive people either in the real or virtual world. Their optimism and happiness for you will reflect back on you like a mirror. Be positive for others and the same thing will happen.

Anyway, I’m just so happy that we all have each other to lean on and learn from. It makes the whole wls journey so much easier.

Doodah x

Lelly

Lovely to read such happy posts and be a part of a friendly group of people, who will hopefully become my friends, thank you x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Lelly 32849 wrote:

Lovely to read such happy posts and be a part of a friendly group of people, who will hopefully become my friends, thank you x

We already are!

I have several friends I have never met in ‘real life’ but they are every bit as dear to me as the ones I see all the time. Friendship isn’t about physical proximity. It’s about mutual respect, support and kindness, in equal measure 😉

Doodah x

Lelly

@treeza 32847 wrote:

Hi Lelly & welcome to this wonderful forum. Wishing you all the very best on your weight loss journey. Keep coming on here it certainly helped me through my journey both pre & post operatively. I’ve made some amazing friends on here. Some I e meet in person & others I’ve only chatted to on here. Everyone is so inspirational helping me to keep moving forward. Stay strong & keep fighting. As you say you’ve seen the change its made to your friend. I’m nearly 13 stone down in 16 months & my life has changed for the better in so many ways. Sending loads of love x

Hello Treeza, thank you for your kind words, you are all so sweet, I have just got my letter through and my MDT appointment is 16th January 2015, so excited but also scared in case they don’t accept me x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Lelly

As you may have seen on the news, things are changing regarding being accepted for wls so try not to think about it not happening. Just be entirely honest about your eating habits (no one will judge you) and why you think wls is your only option. Be positive about how you will use it as a toll to make yourself healthier and happier.

Not long now!

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media