Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Chewing gum

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป The Gastric Bypass Operation ยป Chewing gum

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    nuttygirl

I am just over 2 weeks post op gastric bypass. I was looking through the Return To Slender cookbook to get some ideas on what to eat (I hate soup!!) and read that chewing gum is a big no no. I have been having one or two sticks of the sugar free gum for the last few days – does anyone know why it’s not allowed? I had no idea. Thanks!

katy

Hello

Im afraid chewing gum is in the totally banned list along with fizzy drinks
    It causes the stomach to think you are eating so it starts over producing acid. This can cause gastritis and even stomach ulcers.
    I sometimes buy the sugar free mints if I want a bit of minty freshness

Katy x

nuttygirl

Thank you so much Katy! I was imagining all sorts and your answer makes total sense. ๐Ÿ™‚

I did a search online and all I found was that gum isn’t allowed incase you accidentally swallow it!

Lauren
    Keymaster

Both the above reasons are the main ones for not eating gum after wls. There is also a third – it reinforces the ‘mindless eating’ habit we all need to get rid of. I have posted a very good article about mindless eating but give a sec and and I will find it again. It’s well worth a read ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster
    alismum

Hi- just 1 week post op and feeling great. Can you tell me where I can buy the Return to Slender Cookbook? Feel this would help the boredom.

ali’smum

nuttygirl

Thanks Doodah. ๐Ÿ™‚

Hi Ali’smum – this is the website where I ordered the book from: Return to Slender, the UK’s first bariatric cookery book | Bariatric Cookery I know what you mean about boredom!

Lauren
    Keymaster

You’re welcome Nuttygirl. Carol has written two books and also, you can sign up for a monthly newsletter. This is great for high days and holidays recipes and tips. Also, for the psychological aspect of wls, Mr Chris Pring recommends the following book: Cut Down to Size: Achieving success with weight loss surgery (Paperback) – Routledge

A very good read indeed.

Hope this helps. Pretty soon you won’t even remember what boredom is let alone feel it. You will be off out enjoying you healthier, happier life to the full. just how it is supposed to be ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media