Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Can’t stop losing

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    bikerchris
    Participant

Yes my choice of biscuits is always on the plain side these days, digestives, rich tea, ginger nuts etc instead of the far more sugary ones I used to eat packets of.

I have a colleague who says that I only eat “wartime” biscuits, which I think is quite funny

Lelly

@bikerchris 33962 wrote:

Yes my choice of biscuits is always on the plain side these days, digestives, rich tea, ginger nuts etc instead of the far more sugary ones I used to eat packets of.

I have a colleague who says that I only eat “wartime” biscuits, which I think is quite funny

Mmm ginger nuts and also Nice yum yum xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Haha, ‘Wartime’ biscuits. I used to know a dear older lady (She lived to be 96, God rest her soul) who said it was due to never fully stopping eating like they did when food was rationed.

Her one indulgence was a twin tub washing machine (everything else done the old fashioned way) and two ‘semi sweet’ biscuits with her cup of tea for ‘Elevensies’. What a wise and wonderful woman.

Interestingly, she was extremely healthy and fit but was a large lady despite being very physically active and eating very healthily. Pick the bones out of that as they say!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi,

Just thought I’d update this post, it’s about 10 weeks since I raised the issue and I had another telephone catch up with Nicole this afternoon. I did try to increase the size of my meals, particularly the protein element, but I succeeded only in making myself feel sick a lot. My next strategy was having a protein high snack between meals. This works well and I get to eat cereal and milk up to 3 times a day, yum! Or a cracker and cheese or similar.

Whilst I’m still losing a little, it’s been 3 or 4lb in the last 10 weeks, the main thing is that I feel more relaxed about it, I feel well in myself and have plenty of energy. Yet again, I am shown that my peace of mind is reflected in my physical wellbeing.

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 34412 wrote:

Hi,

Just thought I’d update this post, it’s about 10 weeks since I raised the issue and I had another telephone catch up with Nicole this afternoon. I did try to increase the size of my meals, particularly the protein element, but I succeeded only in making myself feel sick a lot. My next strategy was having a protein high snack between meals. This works well and I get to eat cereal and milk up to 3 times a day, yum! Or a cracker and cheese or similar.

Whilst I’m still losing a little, it’s been 3 or 4lb in the last 10 weeks, the main thing is that I feel more relaxed about it, I feel well in myself and have plenty of energy. Yet again, I am shown that my peace of mind is reflected in my physical wellbeing.

Chris x

Thank you so much for this update, Chris. It’s so important that we keep in touch with our teams isn’t it? And to learn to ask for help!

Health is the number one goal. You are 100% right that our physical well being is symbiotic with our mental health. It is never about the number on the scales, be they too low or too high. For me, wls is about having a longer and better quality of life.

I love cheese and biscuits! Water biscuits and a nice bit of strong Cheddar. My favourite little snack when I’m on the go. I’m glad Nicole approves lol!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Love the use of the word symbiotic, I’ve got some reports to write today and I’m going to try to get that word in there!

Lauren
    Keymaster

Hahaha! I love learning new words and finding opportunities to use them.

I once used the word ‘cruciferous’ and my husband just looked at me with a blank face. He said ‘what the heck does that mean?’ My children knew though! I taught them the love of our mother tongue and they continue to learn all the time, like me. My husband is a mathematician so thinks I’m ‘weird’ haha!

bikerchris
    Participant

I haven’t posted on this forum for ages, I don’t know why. I’ve been popping in to read other’s posts but not had anything to say, which is unusual for me!

Anyway I thought I’d update this thread as my weight is now stable, I find I go a couple of pounds each way but that’s normal. My bmi is 21 and I’m used to that now, I don’t feel skinny/puny (which is how I described it previously) I feel well and I’d be very happy to stay at this weight.

The food I eat is generally good, my portions are what I would describe as “small appetite adult”. I’ve noticed that I do get hungry between meals now and I’m working on always trying to make a good choice at that time rather than reaching for a biscuit. Protein is always a better choice.

The most important thing to me is that if I’ve eaten good nutritious food, I feel happy and well. If I’ve made poor choices, I feel worried and guilty. The effects of what I eat on mind and body go hand in hand.

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 34890 wrote:

I haven’t posted on this forum for ages, I don’t know why. I’ve been popping in to read other’s posts but not had anything to say, which is unusual for me!

Anyway I thought I’d update this thread as my weight is now stable, I find I go a couple of pounds each way but that’s normal. My bmi is 21 and I’m used to that now, I don’t feel skinny/puny (which is how I described it previously) I feel well and I’d be very happy to stay at this weight.

The food I eat is generally good, my portions are what I would describe as “small appetite adult”. I’ve noticed that I do get hungry between meals now and I’m working on always trying to make a good choice at that time rather than reaching for a biscuit. Protein is always a better choice.

The most important thing to me is that if I’ve eaten good nutritious food, I feel happy and well. If I’ve made poor choices, I feel worried and guilty. The effects of what I eat on mind and body go hand in hand.

Chris x

Hi Chris and thanks for the update.

You make a very important point about how food choices can affect us both mentally and physically. Of course we feel better when we eat well, but being guilt free is such a tonic, emotionally, isn’t it?

I have got past that phase as I can more or less eat what I like these days (except animal protein and rice) but my portions are always controlled. I am far less inclined to feel guilty after a ‘naughty’ choice as i know that the other 99% are good. It’s how ‘normal’ people eat I’ve been told!

Like you, I always choose protein first. I’m making steps to increase my fibre too – we get less ‘regular’ as we get older! I’m so glad you are no longer worried about your weight and are now comfy with the body you are in. When I saw you last, you looked like a model – so tall and lean, you lucky devil. But, as we always say, healthy is the best look 😉

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi Chris lovely to hear from you , and I really appreciate it when people update I love to hear your news and get excited at the changes that occur in people life’s . It’s is strange the mental changes that occur about how we internalise out body image . I can now see myself as looking “normal” erh that sounds weird but I’m sure you know what I mean . In fact when I lost weight recently with the last operation , I thought I looked rough!!! Especially in my face . So in one way I was pleased that I put back on some of the recent weight loss . But the other part of my head had tiny freak out about seeing the numbers go up on my scales!!!!! It like a debate inside my head . That’s when I have to dig deep and say this isn’t about looks Kim , get sensible . It also helps that I know good friends at the support group would say to my Kim you lost too much or Kim you putting the weight back on . That a real comfort to me that my fiends have my back xxx

bikerchris
    Participant

I’m not sure about looking like a model Doodah , but I’ll take the compliment. I had made an effort in that I had my nicest jeans on and heels. Normally I’m dressed for dog walking or biking.

I’m going away this weekend and I have bought a dress, it’s long with good coverage for a woman of my age and I’ve had to get some sturdy foundation garments because I’m a bit lumpy. If I’m absolutely honest, I don’t feel 100% confident wearing it but I will do so regardless. When I was at my biggest, no matter what I wore I felt a travesty and ridiculous. I was massively self obsessed too, which prevented me enjoying any social occasion. At least on Saturday I’ll wear my dress and have a dance, even if I end up back in my jeans later on.

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 34893 wrote:

I’m not sure about looking like a model Doodah , but I’ll take the compliment. I had made an effort in that I had my nicest jeans on and heels. Normally I’m dressed for dog walking or biking.

I’m going away this weekend and I have bought a dress, it’s long with good coverage for a woman of my age and I’ve had to get some sturdy foundation garments because I’m a bit lumpy. If I’m absolutely honest, I don’t feel 100% confident wearing it but I will do so regardless. When I was at my biggest, no matter what I wore I felt a travesty and ridiculous. I was massively self obsessed too, which prevented me enjoying any social occasion. At least on Saturday I’ll wear my dress and have a dance, even if I end up back in my jeans later on.

Chris x

Love this so much. You will look and feel fabulous.

I’m being a Matron of Honour on Saturday and it took ages to find an age appropriate dress for me! I hope you dance the night away and have the best time EVER. You never know, you might find a long dress comfy and want to buy a few more. They are so comfy in the summer, especially when you attend an evening event and the temperature drops. Plus – totally forgiving if, like me, your legs have never been your best feature – although I know you have fabulously long, slender legs!!

Have a great time 🙂

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 34892 wrote:

Hi Chris lovely to hear from you , and I really appreciate it when people update I love to hear your news and get excited at the changes that occur in people life’s . It’s is strange the mental changes that occur about how we internalise out body image . I can now see myself as looking “normal” erh that sounds weird but I’m sure you know what I mean . In fact when I lost weight recently with the last operation , I thought I looked rough!!! Especially in my face . So in one way I was pleased that I put back on some of the recent weight loss . But the other part of my head had tiny freak out about seeing the numbers go up on my scales!!!!! It like a debate inside my head . That’s when I have to dig deep and say this isn’t about looks Kim , get sensible . It also helps that I know good friends at the support group would say to my Kim you lost too much or Kim you putting the weight back on . That a real comfort to me that my fiends have my back xxx

Me too Kim. I love to hear how everyone is doing and worry about them when they don’t post for a while! You are so right about our heads being in debate with our bodies. And, no, there is nothing like support for helping you to win that debate with honest reasoning. Our heads will always try to win over what we do to our bodies. We need to do everything we can to get back control. And they say wls is the easy way out! If only…..but it IS a way out of the misery of obesity, if we listen to our bodies first, then battle with our heads when we are stronger.

Doodah x

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media