Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Calories – part 3

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Lelly

As I did my tier 3 in Kent and to be fair it wasn’t very good with no advice about surgery or anything, may I ask are we meant to have a certain amount of calories per day. I am nearly four weeks out and was wondering if I’m eating the correct amount. I have just worked out what I had had so far today and what I am having later and it will total 590 calories for the day, any advice please…..

Lelly

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Lelly,

My recollection is that post wls, the issue is not calories but making sure we eat enough protein. I think that nutritional advice for ordinary people who is that men need about 2500 cals a day and women 2000. I’m no expert but your total seems a bit low to me but if you are managing up to a ramekin of low fat low sugar protein high food at mealtimes then you’re probably hitting the mark.

Chris x

Lelly

@bikerchris 34258 wrote:

Hi Lelly,

My recollection is that post wls, the issue is not calories but making sure we eat enough protein. I think that nutritional advice for ordinary people who is that men need about 2500 cals a day and women 2000. I’m no expert but your total seems a bit low to me but if you are managing up to a ramekin of low fat low sugar protein high food at mealtimes then you’re probably hitting the mark.

Chris x

Hello Chris,
    I have about a ramekin full or nearly full to be honest, my lunch and dinner savoury meal ie cottage pie is 100g per portion or a bit less, I have milkshake for breakfast using Crusha NAS and for snacks 1 yoghurt, crackers and a cheese triangle and a bag of Quavers as my last snack and treat of the day whilst watching telly.

Lelly x

bikerchris
    Participant

Actually, thinking back to my portion sizes in the weeks and months after surgery, I might have changed my mind on what I said before. Certainly in pureed stage, I used to serve myself 2 tablespoons, usually yoghurt for breakfast, soup for lunch and a casserole for tea. I never worked out the calories but looking back it certainly wasn’t a lot. The last thing I want to do is encourage you to eat more than you can.

The most astonishing thing for me after surgery was the complete absence of hunger. Probably for the first 6 months I’d eat 3 times a day but only because I knew it was important to get the right nourishment not because I was hungry.

Anyway I hope I’m not confusing you by changing my mind. As always on this forum Lelly, if in doubt, speak to a member of your team

Xx

Lelly

@bikerchris 34260 wrote:

Actually, thinking back to my portion sizes in the weeks and months after surgery, I might have changed my mind on what I said before. Certainly in pureed stage, I used to serve myself 2 tablespoons, usually yoghurt for breakfast, soup for lunch and a casserole for tea. I never worked out the calories but looking back it certainly wasn’t a lot. The last thing I want to do is encourage you to eat more than you can.

The most astonishing thing for me after surgery was the complete absence of hunger. Probably for the first 6 months I’d eat 3 times a day but only because I knew it was important to get the right nourishment not because I was hungry.

Anyway I hope I’m not confusing you by changing my mind. As always on this forum Lelly, if in doubt, speak to a member of your team

Xx

Thanks pet, as you say I am not hungry at all, sometimes I think I am but then I realise that after a drink I wasn’t but that my head thinks I should have food as it is used to it and it always happens when relaxing…..

Lelly xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Lelly 34259 wrote:

Hello Chris,
    I have about a ramekin full or nearly full to be honest, my lunch and dinner savoury meal ie cottage pie is 100g per portion or a bit less, I have milkshake for breakfast using Crusha NAS and for snacks 1 yoghurt, crackers and a cheese triangle and a bag of Quavers as my last snack and treat of the day whilst watching telly.

Lelly x

Can I be completely honest with you, please?

Stop eating the quavers. They are full of chemicals and are of no nutritional value whatsoever. Perhaps you could switch to plain popcorn if it is the texture you are after? Processed food is not good for you. We all need to try to eat good quality, nutritious food as often as we can.

Chris is right. Protein is the main concern as it helps with healing. And hydration – especially in this hot weather we have been having.

I hope you don’t think I am being bossy. I’m just being honest and looking out for you, I promise. 🙂

Doodah x

Lelly

@Doodah 34264 wrote:

Can I be completely honest with you, please?

Stop eating the quavers. They are full of chemicals and are of no nutritional value whatsoever. Perhaps you could switch to plain popcorn if it is the texture you are after? Processed food is not good for you. We all need to try to eat good quality, nutritious food as often as we can.

Chris is right. Protein is the main concern as it helps with healing. And hydration – especially in this hot weather we have been having.

I hope you don’t think I am being bossy. I’m just being honest and looking out for you, I promise. 🙂

Doodah x

Thank you Doodah I will do as you suggest, I don’t think that you are being bossy, I asked for advice and you and Chris gave it too me. This is why I love this forum as everyone cares enough to bother to help others, love you all!

Lelly xx

bikerchris
    Participant

Once you past the puree/lumpy stages and can manage ordinary foods, nuts are a good source of protein if you are after a crunch. However it’s worth being careful, I’ve found that if I have an open pack of nuts, I can’t leave them alone, definitely a moreish trigger food for me. Seeds are good too, I have some sprinkled on my breakfast.

treeza

Hi Lely I’ve never calorie counted if I’m honest initially it’s about getting as much protein in as possible but don’t stress too much. My dietician (they & us are all different mind) said she would only be worried if I was struggle to get enough in after 6 months so try don’t to worry too much just eat proteins first then if you have any room left eat veg then carbs. I agree with Sue stop the quavers & try popcorn or nuts (great source of protein) but remember to chew, chew & chew some more.
    I loved crackers with either cheese or marmite to get the crunch but again chew loads x you’ll get the hang of it. It’s more about the portion size. No more than a ramekin x take care x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Great advice Treeza. Lelly is right – we do all care enough about each other that we find the time to post with suggestions and advice.

Doodah x

Lelly

@treeza 34277 wrote:

Hi Lely I’ve never calorie counted if I’m honest initially it’s about getting as much protein in as possible but don’t stress too much. My dietician (they & us are all different mind) said she would only be worried if I was struggle to get enough in after 6 months so try don’t to worry too much just eat proteins first then if you have any room left eat veg then carbs. I agree with Sue stop the quavers & try popcorn or nuts (great source of protein) but remember to chew, chew & chew some more.
    I loved crackers with either cheese or marmite to get the crunch but again chew loads x you’ll get the hang of it. It’s more about the portion size. No more than a ramekin x take care x

Thank you Treeza, I shall try nuts and seeds, they do little dinky pots in Aldi, so will get them and chew, chew, chew! :O)

Lauren
    Keymaster

Altogether now – chew, chew, chew: sip, sip, sip. Chew the life out of everything and sip water all day!

I love this place. The way you all support each other, including me, is simply wonderful. It’s a haven of calm, support, advice, understanding, truth and friendship. Our little oasis.

Doodah x

Lauren
    Keymaster

WATER BOTTLE HOLDER HANDS FREE ADJUSTABLE SHOULDER STRAP FOR WALKS AND TREKS | eBay

Talking of sip, sip, sip, I saw someone wearing one of these in Next last week and have tracked it down! What a fantastic idea. I have ordered mine in pink and will get one for my daughter, sister and mum too. Don’t think my dad, son or husband would appreciate a bright pink one but I will get them all one anyway haha!

loulou19

How right you all are about chewing your food. Even now I sometimes forget to chew enough and eat too quickly, and it can be really uncomfortable. I then get the most dreadful foamy mouth.

Guess it’s good to be reminded now and then to follow the rules

Xx

Kimberly
    Participant

I can’t stress how important the protein is to heal and for your hair . You can now buy high protein yogurts and flavour them with sugar free syrups . . I use a ramakin dish and also have brought carol ball Baratric plate . Both I use every meal time . If I think I hadn’t had enough protein then I have a couple of milky drinks . If I’m stressed and can’t eat I turn to milk to get my protein . I never thought after the milk diet that I would love milk like I do lol

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media