Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Calories- part 2

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Summer

Hi guys

Ive never been one for counting calories in my life but hey this is a new me now.

I did ask after my surgery should I count calories and was told just eat until your full, which actually could be great advice for some however I have not been hungry at all since having my bypass three weeks ago.

I struggle with knowing how much I should be eating and worry both about eating too much and not eating enough.

How much do you bypass guys reckon your eating to stay healthy with lots of energy but still loose weight?

Thank you I don’t want to get bogged down with constantly counting calories but would like to know a ball park figure of what’s normal.

Thanks as always for your wisdom.

Summer x

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Summer

I have never counted calories in the three years since I’ve had my bypass. Eating until you are full is also a bit of a dodgy one as it varies so much from person to person. I think in our hearts we know what we need to eat and how much of it. I concentrated on the best nutrition I could tolerate as I wanted to be fit and well more than I wanted to be lighter but that’s just me. Small regular ‘eating events’ is what worked for me as it ensured that I never felt hungry. I still do the same now. I have maintained my weight loss for about 20 months now and still eat tiny amounts (although I do have the odd treat of course just like ‘normal’ people do!)

Small, regular amounts of food keeps our metabolism ticking over which helps us to be healthy, have energy and free from the risk of cheating. Also WATER. I can’t stress that enough. Not only does it fill you up, it is nature’s healer. Just sip throughout the day to keep everything running smoothly (including you to the loo lol!)

Hope this is of some help. Feel free to private message me if you need anything.

Love Doodah x

ruby tuesday

I don’t count calories, just try to eat a little of something that is good for me, and have to stop eating pretty soon as I am never sure how much this little pouch can take, but I do know the brain registers ‘full’ 5 mins or so after we are full, so do keep getting it a bit wrong and having to rest to let the food go down. Mind you, I never have counted calories, sounds like maths to me and I don’t do maths!! I think Doodah is spot on, little and often, at least 2 litres of fluid, and enjoy yourself without worrying about calories too much! xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

I don’t do maths either Ruby – why do you think I married a maths teacher haha!!?

hazelann70

I still find it really hard to get it in my head that when we are over weightall our lives that calories are a foreign entity to some people. Perhaps I’mjust odd but I’ve had to count calories since the age of 5 and so it’s quite normal for me. I still try to keep track of what I’m eating although it goes torat s**t quite often. I’m at the hospital’s goal now and still losing althoughit’s very very slowly now. I’ve got 6lbs to go for my own personal goal though. Calories are the one thing that science has given us and so long as the ones going in are equal to the ones going out then all is fine. I doubt there is a single diet out there which isn’t based on calories in one way or another. Alas, we wouldn’t have got where we are/were if this balance had been kept.It’s very rare for our weight to be caused by anything other than too manycalories going in and so although we have had this surgery, it is still veryimportant to make sure those calories going in are lower or the same as what’sgoing out. Especially when we find we can eat things that we dare not even gonear at the beginning of the journey after WLS. Does that make any sense or have I just put myfoot in it?

My words are not meant to criticise anyone but I honestly believe that theobesity in this world has a lot to dowith ignorance on what one should and shouldn’t eat and I often wonder howanyone can live with obesity all their lives and not know about calories asit’s the most fundamental weight loss tool we will ever have. As I say, perhapsI’m just odd and have researched far too much in my lifetime on all the whysand what can be done about this curse. Perhaps if more education was given toparents and kids as to the reasons for obesity then it could help. Saying allof that, having the knowledge still hasn’t made it any easier for me and allthe facts and figures are good but without the help, it all means nothing!!

Doodah
    Keymaster

‘You can lead a horse to water but you can’t make it drink’ is the same as ‘You could know the calorie content of the universe and it wouldn’t stop you over eating’.

I gave up counting calories because ‘normal’ weight people don’t do it. My Dad is about 4lbs heavier now than when he was 16 (he’s 79 in December.) He does not know the calorie content of anything he eats. He almost died 2 weeks ago from a gangrenous appendix and blood poisoning. He survived the operation almost entirely due to his general fitness and fabulous diet. He eats whatever he wants when he is hungry, then stops. He takes regular exercise but relaxes too. That’s how I want to be. However, food was my drug of choice. My Dad doesn’t have an addictive personality and food is a fuel for him. He eats to live…..

Weight loss surgery has released me from the shackles of calorie counting and guilt. I feel (almost) normal regarding food for the first time in my life. I get occasional head hunger, but I believe that is quite normal too (most people eat something just because it’s nice rather than needing it occasionally)

HOWEVER, we are all different. There are no right or wrongs. If counting calories and reading labels keeps someone on track then that’s totally brilliant too. However we cope, healthily, is the right strategy on a personal level.

hazelann70

Oh how true! All forms of weight loss are tools and how we use them is downto us. It is depressing how thin people can eat and not worry about calories oranything else to that matter. Doesn’t mean they are thin on the inside though.I think what I’m trying to say is when people have been fat all their lives, I just don’t understand how they can be calorie unaware or be unaware what theys hould and shouldn’t eat. I have tried most diets over the last 36 years and Iguess each diet I have undertaken I have learned them inside and out and so cannot come to terms with how anyone can’t know (if they have done the same)what they should and shouldn’t eat. As you say, it’s all very well knowing these things but putting it into practice is another ball game altogether! These comments are in no way meant to be taken as me having a go at anyone – just me observing the world of obese people.

WLS for me has been a tool to go alongside all the information I have gainedover the years and so that has been my help. Yes I fall off the wagon but thenI wouldn’t be normal if I didn’t (I think lol) but having the knowledge of whatthose tempting goodies have in them and how many calories they have is the onlyway I can keep myself on track. It’s when you look at some food items and see that just one portion can easily be 1/3 of the calories for the day if not moreI do wonder how much is down to the manufacturers who cram as much crap intotheir products just to get sales. Yeah, they reduce the fat content but add sugar to compensate and that’s where the extra calories come from. It’s often better for us to eat the non low fat option as the calories are lower. I thinkthis whole sorry situation has partly caused by ignorance combined with readily available food which has been made to lure us in. Perhaps if the governmentwere to clamp down on manufacturers it could be a start to helping people. My ex husband is brain dead when it comes to calories as he’s a bean pole and has never had to worry abouthis weight. He bought me a pasta snackpot the other week and honestly, it was no bigger than a small pot of coleslaw and the calories in it were over 1100!!! I mean, we see the word snack and stupidly presume it is ok to eat. 1100 calories is almost my total daily requirement. It made me wonder what the hell they had put in it to make something as simple as pasta be so high in calories. How can these people getaway with it I ask myself? I could go on but I’m baking for the cafe so willshut up now before I really get on my soap box. Lol

Summer

Well I have never thought of myself totally ignorant to knowing what a calorie is but have never been one for counting them although have tried about every diet under the sun.

I’ve done Points with Weight watchers, sins with slimming world, shakes with slimfast and liquid food packs with lighter life oh and been hypnotised all without ever counting a calorie there are plenty of ways to tackle this problem without having to count calories.

I don’t think this makes me ignorant to weight loss or to the obesity crisis that the world is under all I wanted was a bit of advice, kind of sorry I asked :-/

I don’t want to spend my life counting every calorie but also don’t want fad quick fixes anymore which is why I took the step of WLS. I just wanted a ball park figure of the amount calorie wise I should be eating but clearly it’s not such a simple question.

If someone has spent their life counting calories in a bid to loose weight then good for them it’s not like I have never made an effort to loose my weight we are all after all on a weight loss surgery forum.

The question was more to make sure I’m eating enough to keep myself well as the amount I’m eating seems so low but I still constantly worry about slipping back into over eating and stretching my pouch as this is all still so new to me but think it’s obvious now that I should speak to the dietician at the hospital hopefully they won’t make me feel ignorant and judge me wrongly.

A disappointed Summer x

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Summer 19682 wrote:

Well I have never thought of myself totally ignorant to knowing what a calorie is but have never been one for counting them although have tried about every diet under the sun.

I’ve done Points with Weight watchers, sins with slimming world, shakes with slimfast and liquid food packs with lighter life oh and been hypnotised all without ever counting a calorie there are plenty of ways to tackle this problem without having to count calories.

I don’t think this makes me ignorant to weight loss or to the obesity crisis that the world is under all I wanted was a bit of advice, kind of sorry I asked :-/

I don’t want to spend my life counting every calorie but also don’t want fad quick fixes anymore which is why I took the step of WLS. I just wanted a ball park figure of the amount calorie wise I should be eating but clearly it’s not such a simple question.

If someone has spent their life counting calories in a bid to loose weight then good for them it’s not like I have never made an effort to loose my weight we are all after all on a weight loss surgery forum.

The question was more to make sure I’m eating enough to keep myself well as the amount I’m eating seems so low but I still constantly worry about slipping back into over eating and stretching my pouch as this is all still so new to me but think it’s obvious now that I should speak to the dietician at the hospital hopefully they won’t make me feel ignorant and judge me wrongly.

A disappointed Summer x

Summer if I have offended you then I’m deeply sorry and apologise unreservedly. All I meant was that for the first time in my life I don’t have to worry about it. I just follow the guidlines and let the surgery help me. I would NEVER tell anyone else what to do or how to do it – I only ever say what I do. I would also never have the audacity to judge anyone else – I was 26st!!!

Doodah x

hazelann70

Doodah, it was probably me that caused the offense and I did try to say that I was not having a dig or go at anyone. My bug is with the manufacturers when it boils down to it. There are a huge number of people out there who don’t have a scooby as to what they should and shouldn’t be eating and it really doesn’t help when compnies ply us all with wonderful foods that are laiden with god knows what and the government sit back and do jack about it. Not everyone has the will to find out what they are eating or to even count calories and so in my view, if these people really want to help us then they should take stock of what they are producing. It gets me when they bring out a product that is say, lower in salt – why couldn’t they have made the original low in salt? the same goes for fat and sugar. The problem is, people have grown up with a lot of these foods and when the ingredients have been altered, they reject them as they don’t taste identical. It is a rod the producers have made unwittingly and to reverse it is a very hard step. The so called fat tax should be put onto them, not the often innocent consumer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media