Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Bypass on 22nd April

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    bikerchris
    Participant

I’m booked in at Harrow for bypass surgery. Still 4 weeks away, part of me wishes it was sooner and part of me is full of fear as the days tick away.

I am DETERMINED to be organised for the pre and post-op diet, Obviously pre-op entails only buying in extra milk, sugar free jelly and multi vitamins. I don’t fancy the salty drink much but will hold my nose and down it if necessary. Marmite may be nicer than an OXO cube, I think. For post-op, I’m planning to cook up some foods, puree them and freeze in ice cube trays. I’d thought of chicken casserole, fish in sauce and veg/lentil soup. Also some stewed and sieved apple or pear to mix with some yoghurt.

As far as I can tell from reading other people experiences, the rules are to ensure we eat some protein at each meal, keep to low fat options, avoid sugar in all forms and to drink sips of water all day! If anyone has other ideas for me or anything else they think I should know, I’d be glad to hear it.

Thanks all

Doodah
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 31684 wrote:

I’m booked in at Harrow for bypass surgery. Still 4 weeks away, part of me wishes it was sooner and part of me is full of fear as the days tick away.

I am DETERMINED to be organised for the pre and post-op diet, Obviously pre-op entails only buying in extra milk, sugar free jelly and multi vitamins. I don’t fancy the salty drink much but will hold my nose and down it if necessary. Marmite may be nicer than an OXO cube, I think. For post-op, I’m planning to cook up some foods, puree them and freeze in ice cube trays. I’d thought of chicken casserole, fish in sauce and veg/lentil soup. Also some stewed and sieved apple or pear to mix with some yoghurt.

As far as I can tell from reading other people experiences, the rules are to ensure we eat some protein at each meal, keep to low fat options, avoid sugar in all forms and to drink sips of water all day! If anyone has other ideas for me or anything else they think I should know, I’d be glad to hear it.

Thanks all

Hi Chris

Marmite is a fantastic alternative! says me who has given up Marmite for Lent because it is my second fave thing in the world after tea lol!

A word of caution – fish can be problematic for a very new person. However, give it a go and if it is ok then keep going with it. We are all so very different but a few things seem to be a bit dodgy such as rice, pasta, bread, red meat. Having said that, some people can eat all of those right from the start! I can’t eat rice and I’m almost 6 years post op!

Stewed fruit is fab but be aware that it has natural sugar, which is still sugar. I would also say, don’t cook too much in advance as you simply won’t eat enough of it to warrant the effort in the beginning.

Please find the following links for more ideas:

RETURN TO SLENDER COOKBOOK IS HERE | Carol

Bariatrics megastore

Four weeks will fly by especially when you start the pre op diet. I’m so excited for you. I always think this is the most exciting bit – like a child waiting for Christmas morning!

I’m sure all the other lovely people on this forum will come along and give more advice that will be better for you as they are newbies themselves. I’m an old timer haha! You will soon be on that loser’s bench 😉

Doodah x

• This reply was modified 4 years, 11 months ago by Doodah.
    • This reply was modified 4 years ago by clare.williams.
    audrasharon

Organisation is the key. It really helps post op! Good luck. It sounds like you’ve got it covered. Just don’t fogey your mouth spray ( boot do one in dental section) for post op. X

Kimberly
    Participant

I sauté what doodah said fish still makes me gag but vegetarian food slips down ?

bikerchris
    Participant

Thanks for all the info. I’d not thought about a mouth spray but I’ll definitely pop one in my bag. Because I’m travelling some distance for this surgery, this forum is lovely. I may not be close to others in miles but this contact helps. It’s unlikely I’ll ever get to one of the support group meetings, unless it coincides with one of my follow up appointment. And yes, I DO feel excited (not sure it is akin to Christmas morning though), but I’d not be human without some anxiety too.

audrasharon
    bikerchris wrote:
    Thanks for all the info. I’d not thought about a mouth spray but I’ll definitely pop one in my bag. Because I’m travelling some distance for this surgery, this forum is lovely. I may not be close to others in miles but this contact helps. It’s unlikely I’ll ever get to one of the support group meetings, unless it coincides with one of my follow up appointment. And yes, I DO feel excited (not sure it is akin to Christmas morning though), but I’d not be human without some anxiety too.

I wasn’t excited I was bloody scared and wanted to get it done! It was the best thing I’ve done. It’s 14 weeks ago how and I’ve lost a total of 6 st 6 lbs and gone from a size 28 to an 18. I feel great! And so will you. I am excited for you but then that’s coz I know how amazing it will be. X

Kimberly
    Participant

Chris is scared but kind of exciting as well , life will be so much more exciting afterwards . It still hard work , their is no such thing as a free lunch excuse the pun . But WLS allows breathing space to help me retrain my brain . To get physically active to eat healthily . Honestly it’s the best thing I done . We were scared of the pain ( I’m a low pain threshold ) but that wasn’t a problem . I was more worried they wouldn’t operate . The wind uncomfortable but just get up and walk do some knee bend and out it pops. Just follow what your team say and you can’t go wrong . We all here to help just ask any question and we try to help x
    i found putting the sugar free jelly into three yogurt pot made me feel I was getting three meals . Also the sugar free syrups were life saving . I still use them flavouring yogurt , or milky coffee . Doodah has a link Baratric megastore well worth investing in some of them . Also carol ball book so helpful . I took peppermint tea bags into hospital to help with the wind .

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 31691 wrote:

I sauté what doodah said fish still makes me gag but vegetarian food slips down ?

Love that auto correct Kim!

Doodah
    Keymaster

@audrasharon 31688 wrote:

Organisation is the key. It really helps post op! Good luck. It sounds like you’ve got it covered. Just don’t fogey your mouth spray ( boot do one in dental section) for post op. X

Great tip Sharon. We just had the sponges on a stick! I went back to the ward with an NG tube and everyone thought I was quiet and shy – it was just the fact that every time I tried to speak the tube would make me gag! As soon as they removed it…..chatterbox!

joanne k

Hi I’m having bypass on 22nd April. Day two of milk diet . I’m goin to st Richards chichester

Doodah
    Keymaster

@joanne k 31855 wrote:

Hi I’m having bypass on 22nd April. Day two of milk diet . I’m goin to st Richards chichester

Hi Joanne

Nice to hear from you.

The days will fly past as well you know! Are you having the same surgeon? SRH is a great hospital with a fab team. I have so much to thank them for.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi Joanne , how are you doing on the milk diet ? I found it hard to drink all the milk , but the syrups helped , and drinking loads . I drank massive amount of diet coke but haven’t had a drop since my bypass four and a half months ago . I also needed some thing as I got constipated . But apart from that I found the diet ok not having to think about food . And what really funny is that I really like milk now and drink about a pint a day !!!

Kimberly
    Participant

So Joanne and Chris’s your be bypass twins having your surgery on the same day but in different hospitals !

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 31865 wrote:

Hi Joanne , how are you doing on the milk diet ? I found it hard to drink all the milk , but the syrups helped , and drinking loads . I drank massive amount of diet coke but haven’t had a drop since my bypass four and a half months ago . I also needed some thing as I got constipated . But apart from that I found the diet ok not having to think about food . And what really funny is that I really like milk now and drink about a pint a day !!!

Kim, I’m so impressed that you can drink a pint of milk a day! No vitamin D supplements for you my lovely! I too still love milk. I have it to make porridge and a bowl of cereal for my evening snack but I suspect I get most of mine in my tea!

Doodah x

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media