Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Bread

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    JulieT

Now I am over my awful episode of constipation I can look back and realise what set it all off. I had 2 slices of wholemeal toast for breakfast on Friday morning and felt a bit bloated later that day. Then the terrible constipation episode kicked off and I had an awful weekend with the suffering. So I obviously have a problem with bread. I know that previous episodes of ‘blocking’ have all coincided with me having bread. Will I ever be able to eat bread aagain? Funny thing is, whilst I was trying to ‘unblock’ myself, I had a tiny Freddo chocolate bar thinking it might help – I had no side effects from that at all. On a good point it didn’t make me think – Yeah, I can go back to eating chocolate with no worries – that little piece satisfied me and I don’t want it again. It just seems bread is my No 1 enemy at the moment. Its not a wheat intolerance either cos I’m ok with pasta and rice etc. Has anyone else had strange reactions to normal everyday foods?

Brains

Hi Julie

I am only 4 weeks post bypass and have not even thought of bread yet – if you have again maybe try a smaller amount. I was informed that bread could be a major issue after bypass by dietican. You could also ask them :grouphug:

Precious

I struggle with brown bread, but with white bread I am fine. Although i was told it would be the other way round!! I can only eat 1 slice at a time, but I can eat it no problem and I am 6 weeks post op now. I have the Kelloggs Fibre Plus bars, they have chocolate over them and they are only 6g of sugar and they tend to keep me regular. I only have 1 every other day or so. Trial and error this game, thats for sure!! Its fun though!

xxxxx

SJ

I am ok with a little bit of wholemeal toast. I dump on white bread/toast, and also it would seem on pasta…but ok with a little potato

Cannot eat cereal, cereal bars, oats or more than about a tsp rice…

I don’t have anything with sugar in apart from fructose in fruit – sugar and artificial sweetener are bad news even in tiny quantities…!!!

Fat as well, get very nauseous amongst other things…

However, I can eat steak!!! And salad – I love salad anyways, so this is a staple food for me now.

Precious

Lol …. its a funny ole game this, you can eat steak …. yummy … wish I could … I can’t tolerate red meat very well at all at the moment. Strange how everyone is so different.
    Hope your doink ok SJ :kiss:
    xxxxx

Lolli

Aww Julie, I hope everything is back and moving ok now? Have not really had any dumping or major reactions to anything yet myself, although I agree with Precious!! funny ole game it is!

I seem to only be able to take bread in if it’s toasted within an inch of it’s life, am ok with unleven breads, wraps and pittas but only in small amounts – I keep craving crumpets, but they scare me with their stodgey fluffy ways.

I can’t eat eggs with whites (scrambled or poached) without getting pain, although can dunk the toast in the yolk and survive LOL and yet a chicken breast goes in fine and dandy, as do rice and pasta….oh and confession time, I have a packet of Malteasers a week!! Yes a week lol, sucking one or two a day keeps me sane (ish)…please everyone don’t do as I do, do as they tell you!!!

All goes to show who is boss these days and I think it’s name is ‘Pouchie’!!

SJ

ooh, eggs, forgot about those…

wls is a funny old thing – and everyone is so different!! It’s quite a learning curve!

cazza

I had my 1st fill yesterday so today was the 1st day of trying out what i can & cant eat rice was fine but I tried to eat a chicken sandwich and it seemed to get stuck after about a quarter of it i didnt want to be sick so I had a mouthful of water & it went down is this something that those of you who say cant eat bread is like.
    cazza

solucky

I haven’t touched bread in the 9 weeks post op stage. I have eaten wraps and that was fine, but tend to stick with ryvita or crackers. However I ate baked beans in the early stages, mashed up with a bit of mashed potato and dumped. I had my first egg (boiled) at 8 weeks and that was ok. I’d read a lot of posts that eggs made people sick, and having been a late starter in life where eggs are concerned I was a bit cautious. After a bad experience of them when I was a child I didn’t actually start eating eggs until my twenties for fear of being sick!
    I’m not keen on yogurt at all, so I’ve recently tried the little aero pots or cadbury light mousse and haven’t dumped on them….yet! I’m too afraid to eat chocolate for fear of NOT dumping!! Plus I see chocolate bars as the main reason of getting to my pre op weight of 18st 4lbs and I have no intention of going back there again believe me.

I love the way I now think about what I actually want to eat, rather than gorging everything through habit or emotion. I’m happy beyond my wildest dreams that I took the decision to have the bypass and yes, I’ve had a couple of ocassions where I’ve came home from work close to tears with frustration, and felt out on a limb as I no longer have the emotional crutch of a glass or three of sparkoing rose wine, crisps or chocoalte bars. Those emotional outbursts only last until the realisation sets in a few moments later, that actually I have my health and happiness which you can’t put a price on and that brings it all into perspective…………but there’s always retail therapy to fall back on!!
    Hope this helps for all the pre oppers starting their journey xx

SJ

@cazza 6627 wrote:

I had my 1st fill yesterday so today was the 1st day of trying out what i can & cant eat rice was fine but I tried to eat a chicken sandwich and it seemed to get stuck after about a quarter of it i didnt want to be sick so I had a mouthful of water & it went down is this something that those of you who say cant eat bread is like.
    cazza

I could never eat fresh bread with my band – it balls up and usually gets stuck! Its a very different feeling with a band to a bypass…

Its a learning curve and you will need to see what works for you. Bread toasted to within an inch of its life was ok, but I couldn’t eat crackers!

I sadly pb’d (the correct term ‘productive burp’) a lot with my band, but I was told never to drink to try and clear a ‘blockage’ (although my band was not done at St Richards, so their advice could be different).

I would avoid bread though if you can Cazza, I know many bandsters who cannot cope with it or rice, or pasta…

SJ

Bread was my thing ( well one of them) pre-op. I really struggled post op, but was a stubborn fella and pressed on. I can now 16 months post op only just manage two slices. However, I’m now trying to cut down the number of times I eat bread in a day to once. I suddenly realised I was having toast for breakie, a sandwich for lunch and then toast again at night.

So I’ve replaced the morning toast for shreaded wheat (1) and berries. And try to have salad for lunch, where I can.

carolthecook

Isn’t it strange how we all have different experiences with different kinds of foods? Some can tolerate bread, some meat, some pasta etc etc. I have been so lucky that I seem to be able to tolerate just about everything…well haven’t attempted anything like chocolate, cakes, confectionery and basically any of the other cr*p that I ate pre-op and don’t want to test them (I have been told that dumping syndrome is so awful that you wouldn’t chance it again…I believe it). These days I try to cook from scratch (although I am no slave to the kitchen) and eat so much better. They say habits can be broken in 6 weeks and new ones reinforced in the same time…I hope so! Carol

Brains

Hi Carol
    I so agree with you I avoid the foods I lived on and loved before! Too chicken to try bread!!! But guess what 3 months out today and I can honestly say I do not miss them!!! I feel healthier and hopefully look healthier. I am not wishing the scales down either as it took a long time
    for me to get here and if I go slow and steady hopefully 70% excess may go in a year. Who knows. Headline news …Even me planning to exercise!!! Whoa …………………. Have great day everyone xx

Renfred

@JulieT 6056 wrote:

Now I am over my awful episode of constipation I can look back and realise what set it all off. I had 2 slices of wholemeal toast for breakfast on Friday morning and felt a bit bloated later that day. Then the terrible constipation episode kicked off and I had an awful weekend with the suffering. So I obviously have a problem with bread. I know that previous episodes of ‘blocking’ have all coincided with me having bread. Will I ever be able to eat bread aagain? Funny thing is, whilst I was trying to ‘unblock’ myself, I had a tiny Freddo chocolate bar thinking it might help – I had no side effects from that at all. On a good point it didn’t make me think – Yeah, I can go back to eating chocolate with no worries – that little piece satisfied me and I don’t want it again. It just seems bread is my No 1 enemy at the moment. Its not a wheat intolerance either cos I’m ok with pasta and rice etc. Has anyone else had strange reactions to normal everyday foods?

Hey fellow, if you feel that bread is not for you and it creates some difficulty for you than you should leave eating this. But if you wanna eat this likely than eat in low quantity… and have some thing else…….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media