Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Be Prepared

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    bikerchris
    Participant

Ha, I’m a proper coffee head and I already have 3 or 4 of those insulated mugs in the cupboard, I’ll definitely be using them. Particularly when I go back to work as the coffee there is pretty grim so I can make mine at home and take it in.

Talking of work, Kimberley, I’m signed off until the end of this week and I’ve approached my GP to ask if she can sign me as fit to return part time for a week before launching myself back full time. I am bored at home but a slightly phased return seems sensible as I still do get tired quickly, in fact only this afternoon I had a little snooze because I’d had a busy morning. I am looking forward to going back though as I like my job and miss my colleagues. In any event, day time TV is a trial. Jeremy Kyle is a bit of a guilty pleasure but beyond that nothing much interests me on the box.

Yesterday I had my wounds checked by my practice nurse and she was very happy with how I’m healing. And today I had telephone consultations (to save me travelling 400 miles for a half hour chat) with Annie the nurse and Nicole the dietitian at Streamline, both of which were equally encouraging. So everything is really positive.

Just casting my mind back to 2 weeks ago, before and immediately after my surgery, I was so full of worry and doubt. Was I doing the right thing, would I cope what if there were complications and of course that there is a slight risk to our lives as well. Then I had to spend the extra day in hospital because I was quite poorly. I felt so low, fearful and isolated, couldn’t stop crying. I can’t believe how much better I feel just a short time later. I’m sure there will be tough times in my journey ahead, but for today, everything is fine and dandy!

Chris xx

Kimberly
    Participant

I’m so glad your feeling loads better Chris . Your bound to get tired you had major pluming work done , it’s easy to think I’m good because we only see tiny external scares but our inside have really been rearranged . I just think it’s important to remember that . I noticed I was a bit euphoric after generals or the morphine ? And didn’t want to go out about 4/5 weeks post op . Sound good going back part time . And I’m amazed at how far you can walk .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32101 wrote:

Ha, I’m a proper coffee head and I already have 3 or 4 of those insulated mugs in the cupboard, I’ll definitely be using them. Particularly when I go back to work as the coffee there is pretty grim so I can make mine at home and take it in.

Talking of work, Kimberley, I’m signed off until the end of this week and I’ve approached my GP to ask if she can sign me as fit to return part time for a week before launching myself back full time. I am bored at home but a slightly phased return seems sensible as I still do get tired quickly, in fact only this afternoon I had a little snooze because I’d had a busy morning. I am looking forward to going back though as I like my job and miss my colleagues. In any event, day time TV is a trial. Jeremy Kyle is a bit of a guilty pleasure but beyond that nothing much interests me on the box.

Yesterday I had my wounds checked by my practice nurse and she was very happy with how I’m healing. And today I had telephone consultations (to save me travelling 400 miles for a half hour chat) with Annie the nurse and Nicole the dietitian at Streamline, both of which were equally encouraging. So everything is really positive.

Just casting my mind back to 2 weeks ago, before and immediately after my surgery, I was so full of worry and doubt. Was I doing the right thing, would I cope what if there were complications and of course that there is a slight risk to our lives as well. Then I had to spend the extra day in hospital because I was quite poorly. I felt so low, fearful and isolated, couldn’t stop crying. I can’t believe how much better I feel just a short time later. I’m sure there will be tough times in my journey ahead, but for today, everything is fine and dandy!

Chris xx

This is fab post Chris.

It will be such a comfort to anyone waiting to have their surgery or who is having it imminently. Yes, it is uncomfortable and emotional but, with time and patience, it gets better. I think it gets better very quickly. I’m a glass half kinda gal so I get better very quickly emotionally even if that doesn’t always happen physically. It certainly sound like you have left the post surgery blues well and truly eating your dust!

Makes me happy to hear how much better you feel so thank you for taking the time to let us all know.

Doodah x

treeza

My cupboard is bulging with all my bits & bob’s. Every type of container out there (not really but it feels like it!) bought 6 more on the past 2 days! I’m a nurse & work 12 1/2 hour shifts so go prepared for all eventualities so I don’t slip up & eat rubbish. More than half of what I take comes back again :0) I do however need a good therm cup/mug so please let me know which are the best! Your doing great Chris keep up the good work x I hope work goes ok. I must admit I was off for 8 weeks although I wanted to go back at 6 but occ health dragged their heals x make sure you rest when you can & go prepared with food & snacks x

Lauren
    Keymaster

I’m STILL buying bits n bobs almost 6 years later haha! Have to say though, Carol Ball’s Bariatric Portion Plate is my best buy ever. I use it every single day.

There is one you can buy from the states that keeps your food warm too. However, if cold food is a problem, most people just use a baby plate that you fill with hot water. I always warm my plates so it doesn’t bother me too much.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I love Carole plate it reassures me that I’m keeping the portion under control , I find I can’t eat all of it but that ok . Also a ramekin dish for measuring in the first four months . In fact I still use one if I have doubts . I also found her cook book the best one so far . I would say buy this prior to surgery and also get the sugar free syrups . I’m still using them in coffee and also yogurts , breakfast cereals any thing that need a bit of sweet taste .

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 32133 wrote:

I love Carole plate it reassures me that I’m keeping the portion under control , I find I can’t eat all of it but that ok . Also a ramekin dish for measuring in the first four months . In fact I still use one if I have doubts . I also found her cook book the best one so far . I would say buy this prior to surgery and also get the sugar free syrups . I’m still using them in coffee and also yogurts , breakfast cereals any thing that need a bit of sweet taste .

The syrups make a boring coffee taste like a barista has done it for you. So satisfying.

bikerchris
    Participant

Well I didn’t go back to work today, although that was only because of my GP shilly-shallying about signing my note to return. I have been promised it will be available for me to collect on my way to work tomorrow.

Just as a matter of interest, I have found it really difficult to eat and drink today. I know I’m only 3 weeks in but I have become used to my meals being ramekin sized and that I can usually eat half to three quarters of it. Today I have struggled to manage a few teaspoons of food at breakfast and lunch. I haven’t had my tea yet, I’m not hungry and I don’t fancy it, but I will go and try something shortly because I know it is important to not miss and at least try. I’ve also had difficulty getting drinks down. I assume I don’t need to be concerned and this is just one of those things? Everything else seems fine and I have the usual noises from my new plumbing, which is like a drain trying to unblock itself, so I know my digestion is working ok. Do those noises settle down or will I gurgle for the rest of my life?

BTW I really don’t fancy adding any of those syrups to my coffee. Coffee should taste of coffee. Full stop. 😆

Chris

Kimberly
    Participant

Some days I eat more than others, and never feel hungry but make my self eat , it’s still early days Chris your inside are still healing , some people have very noise pouches

treeza

Hi Chris it could be as simple as you being a bit stressed at not getting back to work because your return to work certificate wasn’t ready. Our pouches are so sensitive to our emotions. Tiredness, emotions, stress, to cold, to hot (although I’m always cold these days)! Just listen to your body & go with it. Eat little & often x take care x I hope work goes ok for you x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32142 wrote:

Well I didn’t go back to work today, although that was only because of my GP shilly-shallying about signing my note to return. I have been promised it will be available for me to collect on my way to work tomorrow.

Just as a matter of interest, I have found it really difficult to eat and drink today. I know I’m only 3 weeks in but I have become used to my meals being ramekin sized and that I can usually eat half to three quarters of it. Today I have struggled to manage a few teaspoons of food at breakfast and lunch. I haven’t had my tea yet, I’m not hungry and I don’t fancy it, but I will go and try something shortly because I know it is important to not miss and at least try. I’ve also had difficulty getting drinks down. I assume I don’t need to be concerned and this is just one of those things? Everything else seems fine and I have the usual noises from my new plumbing, which is like a drain trying to unblock itself, so I know my digestion is working ok. Do those noises settle down or will I gurgle for the rest of my life?

BTW I really don’t fancy adding any of those syrups to my coffee. Coffee should taste of coffee. Full stop. 😆

Chris

I think it is down to stress – the kind you don’t admit to yourself. You may not think you are stressed but your body knows you are! As for the blocked drains noises…get used to them as they are there to stay haha! I was having a spa treatment a few week ago and my stomach noises were almost deafening in the silence!! Good job I had pre warned the therapist or she may have worried about what the frilly heck was going to happen next!

I see you are a coffee ‘purist’. Totally get that. I know someone who is like that about cheese. No fruit in cheese for her!

Hope your first day back is good. Concentrate on hydration and your hunger and energy will soon pick up once you get back into our ‘normal’ routine.

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi. Well back to work today and all was well. Then this evening I caught the train into Manchester on the train to meet a pal for a coffee. So I have had a full day, but it has been lovely and although I am a bit tired now, it feels good and healthy. I am working hard on keeping up with hydration and food and getting the benefit.

So for today I am well, happy and optimistic. If any of you catch me having a grumble on this forum in the future, please remind me of how I am feeling today.

Thanks xx

Kimberly
    Participant

Glad you had a good day back at work Chris , it’s ok to grumble now and again we all have bad days and sometimes need to vent , that’s why we are here for each other in good times sad times and horrible times

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32158 wrote:

Hi. Well back to work today and all was well. Then this evening I caught the train into Manchester on the train to meet a pal for a coffee. So I have had a full day, but it has been lovely and although I am a bit tired now, it feels good and healthy. I am working hard on keeping up with hydration and food and getting the benefit.

So for today I am well, happy and optimistic. If any of you catch me having a grumble on this forum in the future, please remind me of how I am feeling today.

Thanks xx

You grumble away when you are having a tough day – it’s what this forum is for. A place you can be honest and open about how things are going. believe me, if you go back over my posts, I have had some right mardy moments!!

So glad you are feeling so good. Shame we can’t bottle it isn’t it?

Doodah x

treeza

Chris I’m so glad you had such a great first day back. We all need to hold on to those kinda days so we can remind ourselves how lucky we are x just remember to rest when you can. I’ve had to learn to listen to my body it knows when things aren’t right. Keep up the good work x
    I think I’m the biggest moaner in the group so go ahead. A problem shared is a problem halved so they say x

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media