Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Be Prepared

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • Author
    bikerchris
    Participant

Hi All

Well I was bypassed at Harrow on Tuesday and this is my first dip back into the forum to say hello again. I’ve titled this “be prepared” because although I thought I was, I evidently wasn’t. Maybe my research was incomplete or possibly everyone has a different experience. My post-op pain was worse than I’d thought it would be although the hospital staff were brilliant at helping me get the right meds and reassuring me until this came under control. I also had difficulty in breathing because of the pain from my shoulders and stomach, I felt I could not get a decent breath my pulse rate was very high which was quite frightening. I’m glad this was only for a short time and after 24 hours things began to improve. Perhaps I’m just being mardy (a good northern word), although I’d always though I was a tough old bird! Because of me having the racing pulse, I had to stay 3 nights in hospital instead of 2, which caused some difficulty. Not least for my lovely sister who had already begun the 400 mile round trip on Thursday to pick me up, only to be asked to turn around and come again on Friday, poor lass.

Anyway, now back home and have had an ok-ish night sleeping in my own bed and I’ve managed to walk to the end of the street and back a couple of times. I’ve been enjoying the small amounts of pureed foods that I’d left pre-prepared in the freezer. So onwards and upwards from today. I look forward to life resuming more normality as I continue to recover.

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi Chris sorry you had a bad time , but remember to take it easy and rest you had major surgery so sleep and keep your fluid level up . Take it slowly and stick to the advice you been given by your provider .

audrasharon

Congratulation on being the “other ” side. Text up keep sipping as Kim says your soon be feeling so much better! X

treeza

Oh shame I’m sorry you had a rough time but glad your on the mend. Take it slow & steady allow yourself to heal x rest when you can x take in as much fluids as you can. Sip, sip & sips some more x we’ve all budged up the losers bench so welcome x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 31975 wrote:

Hi All

Well I was bypassed at Harrow on Tuesday and this is my first dip back into the forum to say hello again. I’ve titled this “be prepared” because although I thought I was, I evidently wasn’t. Maybe my research was incomplete or possibly everyone has a different experience. My post-op pain was worse than I’d thought it would be although the hospital staff were brilliant at helping me get the right meds and reassuring me until this came under control. I also had difficulty in breathing because of the pain from my shoulders and stomach, I felt I could not get a decent breath my pulse rate was very high which was quite frightening. I’m glad this was only for a short time and after 24 hours things began to improve. Perhaps I’m just being mardy (a good northern word), although I’d always though I was a tough old bird! Because of me having the racing pulse, I had to stay 3 nights in hospital instead of 2, which caused some difficulty. Not least for my lovely sister who had already begun the 400 mile round trip on Thursday to pick me up, only to be asked to turn around and come again on Friday, poor lass.

Anyway, now back home and have had an ok-ish night sleeping in my own bed and I’ve managed to walk to the end of the street and back a couple of times. I’ve been enjoying the small amounts of pureed foods that I’d left pre-prepared in the freezer. So onwards and upwards from today. I look forward to life resuming more normality as I continue to recover.

Hi Chris

Welcome to the loser’s bench! Thanks for this update as we were all rooting for you.

Sorry to hear you struggled with the pain. And that you had a little complication. Your POOR Sister! What a schlep!

Take good care of yourself – as much as you would anyone else. Be kind to yourself and remember that we are all here for you for both the good days and the bad. Your new life is really beginning now.

Doodah x

kellbell

Hi Chris, if you don’t mind asking was this NHS or did you fund it yourself?

Lauren
    Keymaster

How are you today Chris? Hope each day is better than the one before!

Doodah x

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi again

Regarding my funding, my surgery package was paid for between me and my medical insurer. They have a scheme whereby I pay 25% of the retail price and they fund the rest. It was for this reason alone that I used Streamline as they are the only provider recognised by my insurer. I will say that everyone I have come across at Streamline has been brilliant, but no way would I have chosen to travel so far for this surgery for any other reason than the cheaper cost to me. I’d not got anywhere with the NHS and there is no way on God’s green earth that I would ever have been able to pay the full retail cost to a more local provider.

And Doodah, yes I am better day by day. Still needing some pain relief and whilst I am trying to do my little walks 4 times a day, this is tough going. I find I am out of breath after a few minutes whereas I wasn’t pre-surgery. I have a lovely dog keep looking at me wistfully to resume our usual walkies, I know I am only a week post op and this takes time. I saw my GP today and have been signed off work for 2 more weeks.

I am enjoying my very small portions of pureed food and I’m glad I took the time to prepare and freeze some soups and casseroles. I am amazed that the ramekin dish is enough, and sometimes too much. I know some people post op find it hard to get enough fluids in, fortunately I seem to be managing this ok and always have water, sugar free squash or a cuppa on the go.

Anyway that’s enough. Time for another little walk

Chris x

Kimberly
    Participant

Chris I’m glad you seen your GP who had a look at you hope you told him about being out of breath if not might be best that they keep an eye on you . Remember to keep up your pain relief or your get break through pain . The wind pain really hurts . My duster friend who a physio recommended standing up and twenty or more knee bend / squats ( this moved it down ) then going on all fours on your bed with your bottom higher than your head and wait . Honesty it sound very wacky but it did get my wind out which was a relief . Sound like your doing great with fluids

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 32006 wrote:

Chris I’m glad you seen your GP who had a look at you hope you told him about being out of breath if not might be best that they keep an eye on you . Remember to keep up your pain relief or your get break through pain . The wind pain really hurts . My duster friend who a physio recommended standing up and twenty or more knee bend / squats ( this moved it down ) then going on all fours on your bed with your bottom higher than your head and wait . Honesty it sound very wacky but it did get my wind out which was a relief . Sound like your doing great with fluids

Some people would pay to see another person do that haha!

I used the same principle ‘burping’ my babies. Instead of rubbing their backs furiously, I would lay them flat for about thirty seconds, then slowly and gently sit them up again. It worked like a charm every time! Some of those burps sounded like the sort of thing you would hear on a stag night!

Glad you are listening to your GP and following his guidance. And that you are taking care of yourself like you would anybody else.

Doodah x

treeza

Hi Chris I hope your doing ok & managing to get fluids & some food down. How are you feeling? I hope your resting up when you can. Take care xxx

bikerchris
    Participant

Hi Treeza

I’m doing well, thank you. Yesterday, I managed to do a “big” walk with my dog, well about half a mile. I took my son with me for physical and moral support so that if I got too knackered I had someone with me. It went ok although my pace was quite slow. And this morning I took the dog out on my own for the first time. My son is relieved I can take over this again because where I find dog walking a pleasure, he finds it a chore.

And fluids and food both going down well. I can now just about manage to drink a cup of coffee before it goes cold and the rest of the time I’m sipping water or sugar free squash. Altogether I feel very well and only have slight discomfort now, although I know I’m not yet 100% as I get tired very quickly. However given how much I struggled in the first few days, I’m amazed how well I feel.

Chris x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@bikerchris 32059 wrote:

Hi Treeza

I’m doing well, thank you. Yesterday, I managed to do a “big” walk with my dog, well about half a mile. I took my son with me for physical and moral support so that if I got too knackered I had someone with me. It went ok although my pace was quite slow. And this morning I took the dog out on my own for the first time. My son is relieved I can take over this again because where I find dog walking a pleasure, he finds it a chore.

And fluids and food both going down well. I can now just about manage to drink a cup of coffee before it goes cold and the rest of the time I’m sipping water or sugar free squash. Altogether I feel very well and only have slight discomfort now, although I know I’m not yet 100% as I get tired very quickly. However given how much I struggled in the first few days, I’m amazed how well I feel.

Chris x

That’s fantastic news Chris. I think the first time we manage to do anything (however simple) we did before surgery should be seen as a very positive event. Dog walking is excellent as our little furry animal family members instinctively know at what pace to go with us. My Pippy (Chocolate Labrador) knows when my asthma is going to be a problem before I do and sets the pace – SLOW and steady. That forces me to do the same. Clever little cookies, animal aren’t they?

Be prepared to be tired. Your body is working triple time for you so reward it with plenty of rest and good nourishment. You are doing brilliantly.

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi Chris sounds like your doing fantastic walking a mile . And also I know about hot drink getting cold , I use a insulated mug now as I like tea coffee really hot . How long are you off work ? Are you bored yet ?

Lauren
    Keymaster

Costa and Starbucks do really cheap insulated mugs. I have one at my desk – no surprises there eh? Am seriously thinking of buying one that plugs into the USB and actually keeps it piping hot haha!

Doodah x

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 40 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media