Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Bandaid tips required by 66 years old male newbie due to be banded on 7/4/2015

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Band operation » The first 6 months of the Gastric Band » Bandaid tips required by 66 years old male newbie due to be banded on 7/4/2015

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • Author
    Clive Holton

Hello,
    This looks a fantastic forum which I only joined yesterday. I am 66, married with 3 children & 2 grandchildren & am over 300lbs in weight & have been obese all my life with only 2 small periods of radical weight loss.
    I am due to have a gastric banding with Mr Slater on 7/4/2015 & I would really welcome advice from anyone who has been through the hoop – sorry, bad pun – both pre & post surgery please. MANY THANKS.

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Clive Holton 33045 wrote:

Hello,
    This looks a fantastic forum which I only joined yesterday. I am 66, married with 3 children & 2 grandchildren & am over 300lbs in weight & have been obese all my life with only 2 small periods of radical weight loss.
    I am due to have a gastric banding with Mr Slater on 7/4/2015 & I would really welcome advice from anyone who has been through the hoop – sorry, bad pun – both pre & post surgery please. MANY THANKS.

Hi Clive and welcome to our friendly forum. So pleased you like the look of us!

Congratulations on making one of the best decisions of your life. Guy Slater is an excellent surgeon and a really nice man. You will be in the safest of hands.

I’m a bypasser so although your journey will be similar to mine, I’m sure some of the lovely bandsters on here will be able to help you much more than me.

However, pre op, we all pretty much go through the same feelings: nervous, elated, curious, nervous again…. the best thing you can do for yourself before surgery is to try to get as healthy as you possibly can. Gentle exercise to get your lungs and heart healthier, planning ahead for the pre op diet and reading everything you can about your chosen surgery.

Before you know it, you will be healthier, happier and rolling round on the floor with your grandchildren or chasing them round the park. I’m delighted for you, I really am.

Anyway, in the meantime, check out the threads and posts in the Gastric Band section on this forum as there may be answers there already for some of your questions.

The Gastric Band operation

Keep in touch and ask anything you need to know – we are not shy on here!

Doodah x

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Lauren.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 2 months ago by clare.williams.
    Clive Holton

Hi Doodah, Many Thanks for your very kind comments. I only wish that I had done this 25 years ago but better late than never! Best Wishes, Clive.

Lauren
    Keymaster

It’s what we all say (except for the youngsters who have it done!) ‘My only regret is that I didn’t have it done sooner’.

But you are right – better late than never 😉

Doodah x

treeza

Hi Clive welcome to our lovely forum filled with kind & compassionate people.

I had bypass but still happy to hear about your journey & to help in any way I can.

I too have said I wish I’d done it sooner as I felt like I’d missed out on so much. On the bright side I’m now making up for lost time as some on here can testify too. I’m loving & living life now & wish the same for you & everyone else.

Take care try getting as fit as possible pre surgery & it will help your recovery.

Teresa

Clive Holton

Hi Treeza, Many Thanks for your kind message of support. I do hope things continue to go well for you & I will keep you up to date with developments. Kindest Wishes, Clive

Lauren
    Keymaster

I love this forum.

We are all people who understand each other and share the ups and downs with honesty but never unkindness. It has helped me a great deal over the past 6.5 years. We don’t allow nastiness here. But saying that, there has never been any!!

You are in super company here, Clive. Did you know there is a support group you can join? It’s at the Clementine Churchill Hospital on the second Thursday of every month, and is run by the lovely Streamilner. We have one down here in Portsmouth too, on the third Thursday. They are a godsend!

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Hi Clive welcome . This sugery changed / saves my life it’s been wonderful

Clive Holton

Hi Kimberly, Many Thanks for your kind words. Keep Going & Best Wishes.

Lauren
    Keymaster

That’s another day ticked off, Clive. One day nearer your surgery and a new, healthy life.

Are you ticking off the days? I did! Big black crosses on a calendar like you see on TV or in films. Me and my daughter used to do it to count the days down when we would see our favourite bands. Not QUITE the same haha!

Doodah x

Clive Holton

Hi Doodah, Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, upermost in my mind whilst our youngest son gets married on 31/10 so am really hoping to drop some weight for the wedding & am thus waiting to get a new suit as late as poss. Kind Regards, Clive.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Oh, how marvellous Clive! What a wonderful event to spur you on. I honestly get goosebumps when I read things like this! Some of the lovely people on here have gone on to do other absolutely amazing things too – including having children, getting married and travelling to far flung places.

Your youngest child’s wedding – gulp 🙂

Doodah x

treeza

@”Clive Holton 33098″ wrote:

Hi Doodah, Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, upermost in my mind whilst our youngest son gets married on 31/10 so am really hoping to drop some weight for the wedding & am thus waiting to get a new suit as late as poss. Kind Regards, Clive.

Wow Clive what a great goal to aim for. You can do it & hold off as long as you can before you get your suit. So delighted for you x take care x

Lauren
    Keymaster

Just read it again and realised they are getting married on Halloween night. How fabulous! They will never forget their anniversary!

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Not long now excited for you

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 97 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media