Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Band ….. To …. Bypass?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    hides

Hello everyone it’s been a very long time since i last checked in but now i am calling on your help….. Honest feedback/guidance is needed .

Had my band just shy of 2 years now . Not a walk in the park , think i’m just an average person , i know people who have lost more weight and some that have lost less . I guess i’m around the 60ish % of excess weight lost …. (The guidelines say between 50/70 % . ) . I’m not unhappy , more frustrated at times. I know without my band i would be 20 stone or more , so i know it’s helping me . I’m now at 14.12 and a size 16/18 , the hospital say i’m still 2/3 stone overweight….. My weight really hasn’t changed over the last 3/4 months. You know how it goes 2lbs on 2lbs off etc etc and so the cycle goes on .

My hubby has had a very big promotion which means we dine out 2/3 times a month 🙁 , i have bluffed my way so far but because i always know 3/4 of the other diners a few comments have been said . (These are not my friends just business people . ). As us band people know we cannot eat everything and unless my meat is covered in a sauce it’s a no no for me . Plus i’m at the stage were 8 mouthfuls and i’m full . Running to the toilet in your heals and cocktail dress isn’t good for anyone. But i dont want my business to be the talk of the office …… So my head has been playing games with me ………… Should i be thinking of having my band removed and have the bypass !!! I have to look at the bigger picture , i get so much stuck that i am turning to the crap foods some days just to keep up my strenght ( so to speak ) . I guess i want to know if i can eat any better with a bypass ? I know the quanities are not far different , but i cant eat a burger/sausages/ eggs and fish are very hit and miss . Generally if i have beef/chicken it is in a casserole …… So my food choices are limited . soup, soup or soup … Well you get my drift .

It’s not as gloomy as it sounds but i do hear of band people turning to the bypass Years down the line, are any of you on here ? please can you give me a general idea of a days food ( after the first 3 months ) . Am i going to live on slimfast/ soups / mashed pot forever 🙂 ???

Help please
    Heidi :-/

pgoldsmith

Dear Hides,

I feel exactly the same, I am coming up to 2 years post band lost about 6 stone, but still another 2 stone to loose. As a bandster you can seek out bad foods for example I can seem to eat steak and kidney pudding with loads of gravy, but a burger forget it!!!? I recently have been bad and have put on a few pounds, I am starting to think I need my band tighter but am not sure at the moment. On a normal working day I don’t eat much, and sometimes is so little I wonder why I am not loosing weight. But on other days you think ice cream and bad foods, not sure what the next path is, I know I can do more exercise and I really need to sort out that part of my life, however I am not sure if I can go down the bypass route, there is still a part of me which thinks that I will not need my band one day.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@hides 29490 wrote:

Hello everyone it’s been a very long time since i last checked in but now i am calling on your help….. Honest feedback/guidance is needed .

Had my band just shy of 2 years now . Not a walk in the park , think i’m just an average person , i know people who have lost more weight and some that have lost less . I guess i’m around the 60ish % of excess weight lost …. (The guidelines say between 50/70 % . ) . I’m not unhappy , more frustrated at times. I know without my band i would be 20 stone or more , so i know it’s helping me . I’m now at 14.12 and a size 16/18 , the hospital say i’m still 2/3 stone overweight….. My weight really hasn’t changed over the last 3/4 months. You know how it goes 2lbs on 2lbs off etc etc and so the cycle goes on .

My hubby has had a very big promotion which means we dine out 2/3 times a month 🙁 , i have bluffed my way so far but because i always know 3/4 of the other diners a few comments have been said . (These are not my friends just business people . ). As us band people know we cannot eat everything and unless my meat is covered in a sauce it’s a no no for me . Plus i’m at the stage were 8 mouthfuls and i’m full . Running to the toilet in your heals and cocktail dress isn’t good for anyone. But i dont want my business to be the talk of the office …… So my head has been playing games with me ………… Should i be thinking of having my band removed and have the bypass !!! I have to look at the bigger picture , i get so much stuck that i am turning to the crap foods some days just to keep up my strenght ( so to speak ) . I guess i want to know if i can eat any better with a bypass ? I know the quanities are not far different , but i cant eat a burger/sausages/ eggs and fish are very hit and miss . Generally if i have beef/chicken it is in a casserole …… So my food choices are limited . soup, soup or soup … Well you get my drift .

It’s not as gloomy as it sounds but i do hear of band people turning to the bypass Years down the line, are any of you on here ? please can you give me a general idea of a days food ( after the first 3 months ) . Am i going to live on slimfast/ soups / mashed pot forever 🙂 ???

Help please
    Heidi :-/

This answer is to you both Heidi and Paul.

Firstly, congratulations on your weight loss. You have probably already done enough of the hard work to have prolonged your lives – healthier ones at that.

Secondly, if you think you are restricted with what you can eat with a band – you will be mightily surprised to learn that with a bypass it is even more so for many of us. Not only do we have restriction (which, unlike a band cannot be easily altered) but we also have the dreaded dumping syndrome to contend with. Many of us cannot eat meat, bread, pasta, rice and/or anything either high in sugar (carbs included) or fat. I would say we are really quite limited in comparison to a bandster.

I personally cannot even contemplate animal protein, fish, rice or anything really high in fat or sugar. I still have loads of restriction regarding portions too. I eat probably only around ten mouthfuls of anything at one time – if that when I’m cold (it really affects my restriction) and I am five years post bypass! I know we say it all the time but eating mindfully and slowly is the key. At three months post bypass, I was still on ‘lumpy food’. I didn’t graduate to ‘normal’ food at every meal until about a year out. I am convinced that is the reason I haven’t had any trouble with significant regain. That plus the fact that I set myself a hugely realistic target. I am only 5′ 3″ tall and could weigh as little as 8.5 stone and still not be underweight. However, I weigh MUCH more than that (fluctuates at an alarming rate being menopausal haha!) and I’m totally satisfied with it. I’m a size 12/14 at 54 years old and delighted with the outcome after my bypass. More than that, I now have the same life expectancy as everyone else.

So, what I am trying to say to you is this: please be pleased with what you have achieved so far, be patient, keep going and try to remember that wls is a long haul flight to better health and well being – not a quick jaunt.

Please find below this link to the 20:20:20 rule regarding eating. It will help with food getting stuck. This is especially important when eating out. Heidi, I bet the ‘comments’ you have heard are from people who have seen how well you are looking and are curious as to why you have lost so much weight. However, most of the time, people are actually only interested in their own food and what they are eating! One of the reasons I have been so open about my surgery is that 99% of the time, people are genuinely interested in it and are very, very supportive. Those who are not are not my friends so I don’t actually care what they think.

Please don’t give up on your band yet. You are the tortoise to the bypass’s hare. We all get there in the end. 😉

Do You Know The 20:20:20 Rule? | Uncategorized | Bariatric Cookery

Doodah x

Streamliner

Agree to all the above, also wanted to mention, we worked very closely last year with Professor O’Brien, from Australia & he mentioned to us about a brilliant video on his website about the 8 golden rules of working with a Gastric Band, it can be seen here

Gastric Banding – Laparoscopic Obesity Surgery, Lap Band System Melbourne Australia

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media