Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Band or not to band?

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Band operation » Band or not to band?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    charlotte69

Hi guys been looking for weeks I’m 5″4 and 14stone diets I’ve done them from lighter life to amphetamine slimming pills to dukan I’ve done them all 🙁 I had liposuction on my tummy three hrs ago in Belgium while I had eyelid surgery and happy with the results, but now left with saggy skin where I’ve had a child he said I needed a mini tuck but didn’t have the money so just had lipo while I was under! Now I’m 42 fed up and desperate to lose weight I really want a band, I live in maidstone in Kent but would like to do this with finance option if anyone could recommend me somewhere? And any tips feedback on your surgery stories would be great!

luckyflower

Hi Charlotte
    Not sure about finance options. There will be people on here who can talk about the band and if you look through old posts you will also get flavour of experiences. Wishing you well as you start to research options.

pgoldsmith

Hi Charlotte, had my band fitted recently at the spire hospital in gatwick, with streamline, which have very renowned surgeons, re the recent mail on Sunday magazine article. I think this would nit bi too far from you. There are no finance options, but a loan would prob be your best bet, you’ll be looking at approx 6-7k

charlotte69

Thanks pgoldsmith how long ago did you have your band? What’s your weight n height? How you getting on ? Charlotte x

hides

Hi charlotte
    I’m 1week away from having my band. Mine is £7500, but i’m in taunton, somerset.
    Once i had looked into it for almost a year on and off, it only took around a 6 weeks to get my date. (which i picked). I think i’ve gone into this with my eyes open, but each time i look at anything to do with WLS, something else comes up. I wish you well with your research, and there are many many people on here who will offer lots of support and guidance.
    Best wishes
    Heidi

ruby tuesday

Hi Charlotte, I had a bypass not a band, but I do know that a band give just as effective weight loss, but does work more slowly, so you are looking at loosing weight over a 2-3 year period, and as such, may just not be what you need. It does sound as though you would like a quick result, and if you were recommended a tummy tuck and feel that is the area of you carrying the weight, I wonder whether a finance option for that surgery might suit you more?

In all honesty, being your height myself, and a higher starting weight than you are, I would not recommend any bariatric surgery, and I would be somewhat dubious of a surgeon that offered you any, because you may not be your ideal weight, but you are certainly not in the morbidly obese catagory. You have to consider the money you would spend and the length of time to get the results you want, baring in mind that until your band is at optimum fill you are only loosing weight through diet and excercise anyway, which can take several months and several fills to achieve. Please don’t feel offended by anything I have said though, I do sympathise with anyone struggling with their weight, and wish you all the best whatever you decide.

Doodah
    Keymaster

@charlotte69 19851 wrote:

Hi guys been looking for weeks I’m 5″4 and 14stone diets I’ve done them from lighter life to amphetamine slimming pills to dukan I’ve done them all 🙁 I had liposuction on my tummy three hrs ago in Belgium while I had eyelid surgery and happy with the results, but now left with saggy skin where I’ve had a child he said I needed a mini tuck but didn’t have the money so just had lipo while I was under! Now I’m 42 fed up and desperate to lose weight I really want a band, I live in maidstone in Kent but would like to do this with finance option if anyone could recommend me somewhere? And any tips feedback on your surgery stories would be great!

Sorry to hear you are unhappy with your weight Charlotte. However at 5′ 4″ and weighing 14st, your BMI (33.6) is too low for bariatric surgery.

Doodah x

vickihayling

I am a successful bandster but I started at nearly 24 stone so a bit different to you but I remember once being your weight and being miserable so I certainly won’t judge you. At my first weight loss information meeting I would say that about 50% of the people there were under 15 stone and I think you could just about be accepted as the minimum start weight – possibly. However maybe you should consider a less risk/cheaper option like the gastric balloon or even the hyno band – I can’t say if they work and maybe the band will suit you best but I applaud you for asking here as you should get lots of good advice – the more information you can gather the better.

geraldine

Hello

I am 5ft 3.5 and weigh 13st 10, BMI 34. I have been browsing sites about a band for a few months, interested but hoping I may just loose 2 stone in my sleep one night 🙁

That hasn’t happened, my willpower just won’t kick in!

I have contacted a company for advice, and they gave responded advising I would also be suitable for a band….this was something I knew nothing about, I prob assumed I wasn’t big enough, and was a bit sad to hear that I was.

I think the Spatz balloon over 12 months does appeal to me, but I am scared what would happen to me after. How long is a band for?

Geraldine

Nettie

Your band is designed to be with you for life although some do need revision surgery I think the stats are 1:10 but please don’t quote me, I had me band fitted at the end of July and have lost 2.5 stone so far, it isn’t a quick fix with the band more of a long term tool to help you along the way, my bariatric nurse describes it as a sleeping policeman, just there to slow you down and make you think and to be honest it is a very good analogy.

Nettie xx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Geraldine. Unfortunately, with a BMI of under 35 you are not eligable for weight loss surgery. I hope you can find an alternative that works for you soon.

Doodah x

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media