Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

band or bypass?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    LISA

hi im lisa and new to the forum,could anyone plse help on my desision to have the bypass or the band?will i still feel hungry with either?very worried as i dont eat because im hungry i eat for comfort..and if i cant physically eat how will i feel,a friend committed suicide following a bypass and i wonder if this contributed to it?please help..op booked with mr somers march 1st,thankyou

SJ

Hi Lisa,

Welcome to the forum. If you have an op booked, do you not know which surgery you are having? We all have questions pre-op, but I wonder if you need to see the team again to discuss your questions so you can be sure of the decision you are making, as it is a massive decision. Mr Somers and the team usually recommend the best op for you based on your eating habits etc…if you have been given a choice, then you need to take an honest look at the kinds of foods you eat and the type of eater you are (e.g. big meals, grazer etc) and base your decision on that.

You are certainly not alone re the comfort eating, most pre-oppers eat for reasons other than hunger…

Some never feel hungry with a band (i did) and some feel hungry with a bypass (I haven’t so far). Due to dumping, the idea with a bypass is not to eat sugary foods, but many do (and don’t dump). Whilst many of us eat for comfort, it would be good to chat through your concerns with one of the psychologists for both surgery types are simply tools, they cannot cure comfort eating or snacking and you have to work with the surgery for it to be successful (and even then there is no guarantee). Weight loss with a band is usually slower, but as a tool, if often works for longer…

Everyone reacts to surgery differently, I was really excited at the thought of not being able to eat! So sorry to hear about your friend, with such a terrible story so close to you, I definately think another chat with the team could help alleviate your worries.

Good luck.

SJ

Anonymous

Hi lisa and welcome,
    Sorry to hear about your friend, any form of Gastric Bypass or Band can be an emotional journey and that is why it is important to have some form of support such as this forum. THeir are also meetings where face to face can work.
    Eating is not so muc a problem after surgery, having to remind yourself to eat it the early days and to stick to the rules is important.

Either option will give you results, health and weight will both reward you well and for me personnally it has been a relitively easy journey with very few compplications.

Having the option can confuse, you obviously want to get it right first time, but i can only tell you of bypass.
    I am living with it and loving it…
    I hear quite a few bandsters eventually go onto a bypass but not all…

You will be in control as you naturally change, your mindset changes as does your eating habbits.
    You should go on to enjoy most foods eventually but by the time you are really comfotable your be in control…. you can falter and fall off the wagon, but its much easier than any of the old yoyo diets. I dont think your body allows you to self harm anymore, if it does thats when you scream for help…. 🙂

All in all either decision has to be a personal one… both can work.

You will see results, you will become more in control its all very natural…

So for now, read read read and stay calm… Your in contorl just need to decide whats best for you..

Buzz ( Andy in Bognor )

Irene

Hi Lisa
    Welcome to the friendliest forum on the internet.

Really sorry to hear about your friend.

When I went for my assessment day I really thought I would be going for a band, well after a discussion with the experts it was decided that a bypass was the way forward, and I have NO regrets. I had it done in October and I am so happy with how I feel. The first thing I noticed was an increase in self esteem, friends who didn’t know I was having it done saw me a month after and were amazed at everything my demeanor my weight loss and the little food I needed to eat and because we need to chew things really well it takes us as long to eat just a little as it takes them to eat a large meal therefore the comfort is still there to an extent.Be guided by the experts cos they really know what they are talking about.
    Keep posting on here and just ask whatever you need and someone will undoubtedly be able to help in some way.
    Love and Hugs

pompeydoll

Hi Lisa,

I had a bypass 2 weeks ago and yes i was nervous at first but in all honesty its the best decision i have ever made, i had all the thoughts of will i be hungry? will i not be able to eat properly again? Even though i am only 2 weeks post op i have not felt hungry once and i havent craved anything either. I dont want to suffer the dumping effect so i check labelsfor sugar content and it has now changed my total way of thinking. I also guess it depends on the individual, i have a lot of weight to lose so Mr Pring and all the consultants said the best option for me would be a bypass and now i am not looking back.

Good luck with your choice and your op

Tracy xxx

Sally Bailey
    Participant

Hi Lisa

Haven’t heard from you in a while – are you ok? How did your appt go?

Sally x

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media