Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Band Advice Needed!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    joanne21

Hi Everybody,

I haven’t been on here for a while so hope you all had a great christmas and Happy New Year.
    I had my band fitted Nov 8th which all went well. I lost 7lb on the liver shrinking which i was pleased with. I had my 1st fill on the 10th Dec and had lost another 7lb then Christmas came which i did find hard as i didn’t feel that i had a lot of restriction along with the wrong food choices! I had another fill on the 5th Jan and i hadn’t lost any more weight but to be honest i was just pleased that i hadn’t gained. I now have 6mls in my 15ml band and still feel that i don’t have much restriction…i can eat most things with no trouble at all and quite normal portions with out feeling full or as if its going to come back up. I haven’t got another fill till the 5th March which seems like forever away…i am going to see if i can bring it forward. I know it is still very early days and everybody is so different but i can’t help comparing myself to you other bandsters that seem to be doing so well. I also need to get doing some excersise to help boost weight loss i walk a lot with my 2 young boys but that obviously isn’t enough.

Jo x x x x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Joanne

Im not a bandster but I deal with people who are a great deal in my work.

Trying to get your appt brought forward is a good idea if it is possible but in the meantime, you are absolutely right that exercise makes SO much difference. It not only speeds up the metabolism but it actually makes you feel better emotionally and psychologically. It also increases your feeling of self-worth as you are actively making the effort to improve your own situation. I don’t think that can be overestimated.

PLEASE try not to compare yourself with anyone else. We are all so different that it is virtually pointless to do so. I hope you get some positive answers soon and in the meantime: onwards and downwards (on the scales!!)

Doodah x

joanne21

Thank you Doodah.

I have managed to bring my appointment forward to 13th Feb so I am pleased with that. I need to start swimming again in the evening when the kids are in bed but its so hard to get motivated in this weather….just gotta do it!!
    Hope everything is going well for you.

Jo xxx

Nicki

Hi Jo, I am in a similar situatuion, had band fitted 15th Dec 2010 had 1st fill 12th Jan not sure what size band I have but only had a 3ml fill and am eating all sorts, trying to be good but its hard after all if we could all be good we would not have needed to have this done would we, I brought my fill forward to the 26th and hoping this will work, good luck with yours, will keep in touch.

Nicki xx

marie

Hi Jo

Iknow exactly what you mean – it wasn’t until I got to 7mls that I started feeling some restriction – I have never been sick and only became aware of the band a few times. I found that I could eat anything and still ate decent sized portions however the weight was slowly coming off! However last month I found myself eating more and more and it turns out I have a leak! So spent Christmas with no restriction and a 1 stone weight gain! Streamline have been great and I’m just about to have it sorted now. It is rare to have a leak but if you do find yourself eating the same amount as pre-band see your nurse.
    Marie

hides

Hello ladies,
    This all just proves we are all different…… As you know jo i only had 5 mls in my band before christmas and i couldn’t keep a meal down. So i had quarter of a ml out before christmas. Still feel some restriction, but i know i can eat more then a month ago. Proved this with a weight watchers sandwich the other day….it did get stuck, and i was uncomfortable for 10 mins or so, but it did go down in the end…. Waited about 15mins before eating the second one, that went down no problem. The truth is a month ago i wouldn’t of even gone for a sandwich….. But my nurse has told me, i have to try and use alittle willpower along side my band……….. Not easy some days.

Please stay positive jo, and keep telling yourself ‘ you’ve lost a stone, that’s 14 lbs…..’ and you are still very much at the start of your journey.

Best wishes
    Heidi. X

Doodah
    Keymaster

Try picking up a stone in weight – then you will realise what you have lost ;-))

Doodah x

joanne21

Thank you all for your support. It is nice to hear of other peoples experiences with the band and its so true we are all so different. I know i have done really well to lose a stone and i am so pleased. I guess although i went into this with my eyes open and knowing that it would take time you just want to see instant results……we’re only human. I have been a lot more positive the last few days and have been making better food choices. Still feel i don’t have much restriction and can eat most things….chicken is a no no even if i chew it 100 times!! Looking forward to another fill on the 13th feb.

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Joanne.

I’m so pleased you are feeling more positive about things now. It must be hard hearing all the massive weights lost by bypass patients and then have to be patient with a band. However, we are like tortoises and hares – we all get there in the end! We ARE all so different. Well done you for not getting in a pickle about it and looking forward – this will stand you in great stead for the future. Well done indeed xx

Doodah x

hides

You are so right doodah, we do all get there in the end.

I have realised that i now need to put more effort in. Last week is the first week i never lost any weight since my op mid oct. I am not a happy bunny, but when i look at the week i had, i can see why….. Old habits crept back into my days…. I started this week with 20mins on my treadmill, ( i know this is pants, but it’s a start ) and a note pad to keep track of what i’m eating….. Setting myself just a 20/30 min goal each day….. Will not weigh myself till next monday, and if nothing changes, i’m asking for a refund…….. I’m sure i’ve got the reciept somewhere… Haha.

Stay positive jo, i too will look forward to my next meeting on fri 10th feb, as i think i need a fill…… I can defo eat more then i could 4weeks ago. But i do feel some restriction still. My problem is, i still eat too fast sometimes, unless it’s chocolate….

Best wishes, keep posting .
    Heidi

Doodah
    Keymaster

Hi Hides

You are making brilliant moves towards getting/keeping on track so well done!!

It’s so easy to slip back into familiar ways of doing things isn’t it? Let’s face it, apart from almost killing us and making us miserable, food has been our friend in the past (albeit a parasitic, toxic, destructive one) and it is like a bereavement when we have to end that friendship. In ‘real’ life, when we lose a friend, we have to look at ourselves as well as the friend we have lost to evaluate what went wrong. I felt exactlty the same way about losing food. Yes food was my friend but it was also my worst enemy so why did I allow it to dominate my every waking moment? Because it was familiar. I truly believe that anything familiar, no matter how bad it is, is preferable to being alone.

What I’m trying to say is: get rid of the bad friend (sweets, cakes, chocolate, chips etc) and embrace the good one (veg, fruit, water, protein etc.) Then introduce a second friend into your life: exercise (who by the way is a bad food’s worst enemy!) I know these analogies might seem simplistic but often the truth is simple. Don’t let yourself be bullied by a bad friend.
    Well, didn’t mean to go off on one haha!!! But I hope you get my drift. I think you are doing brilliantly is what I’m trying to say. You have recognised a problem and are making huge changes to address it. WELL DONE xxxx And remember, you are never alone. We are all here to listen, support and encourage you.

Doodah x

hides

Oh doodah, i wish you were my neighbour…. I’d love to have a cuppa with you.

What you said is totally the truth, and i am doing little things each day/week to change my ways.(not always succeeding) I’m not looking to be a size zero model, but just an average size. In my head the last 3months have given me a good start (2 and1/2 stone) , but i feel now the hard work starts for the other 2 – 2 1/2 stone.

Wii fit today, what a scream that was…. Got no co-ordination, and after the short jog i needed and oxygen tank….. Lol…. But have to start somewhere. Feeling positive, and might even do treadmill tonight, if only to get me away from the kitchen…. Just in time or bath and “fat surgeons”. Oh what a plan…

Thanks for your encouragement, and sorry to bore you with my daily updates.
    Heidi. X

SallyB

I know exactly what you mean too! I had my 14ml band fitted on December 11th. I’d healed by Christmas and had little restriction. I had my first band fill on 18th January. I’m not at 5mls and am getting full on a much smaller portion but I’m still not quite there with restriction.
    My next one is in a month and I can’t wait to find my sweet spot!

Band fills are the strangest experience too!

Sent from my iPhone using WLS FORUM

Doodah
    Keymaster

@hides 21414 wrote:

Oh doodah, i wish you were my neighbour…. I’d love to have a cuppa with you.

What you said is totally the truth, and i am doing little things each day/week to change my ways.(not always succeeding) I’m not looking to be a size zero model, but just an average size. In my head the last 3months have given me a good start (2 and1/2 stone) , but i feel now the hard work starts for the other 2 – 2 1/2 stone.

Wii fit today, what a scream that was…. Got no co-ordination, and after the short jog i needed and oxygen tank….. Lol…. But have to start somewhere. Feeling positive, and might even do treadmill tonight, if only to get me away from the kitchen…. Just in time or bath and “fat surgeons”. Oh what a plan…

Thanks for your encouragement, and sorry to bore you with my daily updates.
    Heidi. X

BORE ME?! They are hilarious! I now have visions of you doing the wii fit and mirroring what I must look like haha!

2.5 stones in 3 months is absolutely brilliant. You are half way done already. You should feel like the Queen of the Castle! Slow and steady wins the race. It takes agaes to put all our weight on, so it makes sense that it will take time to lose it again. However, the longest journey is the one of self-loving. Forgive yourself. I bet any money you like you are kind and forgiving to other right? Now be as kind to yourself. You are doing it – you are making changes and they are giving you fabulous positive results. Now, in your next exercise session, I want you to practice patting yourself on the back: it’s good for bingo wings, felxibility and morale. YOU deserve it so make it a 5 minute pat. And keep up the with the updates. They will inspire others I can guarantee you that ;-))

Doodah xx

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media