Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Band advice needed

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • Author
    hides

Hello everyone, well my band was done last weds. All is well, healing nicely.
    I have been given instructions to follow regarding food, (fluids and soft foods) for approx 4 weeks, then introduce lumpier food. I just dont know if i’m doing it right….. Tonight i felt very hungry……. First time since op. Stomach rumbling, not the same as last few days. Felt different.

Today i’ve had… 2 tablespoons of milky porridge, 125 mls of clear soup(1/4 of a tin), 2 teaspoons of low fat yogurt, 2tablespoons of cottage pie with added gravy. Started to feel hungry about 7pm….. Had to have 2tblsps of porridge again. Is this enough, or too much……
    Had around a pint of water and 3/4 small cups of tea throughout the day……

Does this all seem right ? I know the cals is not very high, but tonight took me by surprise as i’ve not felt hungry at all. Nor have i eaten and felt full, but i have stopped at the size the info sheet says……. ie… 2 tblsp, or 2 tsps, 100 mls etc etc.

Heidi.

Rosie Posie

Hi Heidi
    Glad you are feeling better. Yes you will feel hungry, so you need to stick to rules you have been given. Don’t move on to solids early as you will stretch your pouch. You won’t get any restriction until you start to get fills. So meantime stick at it, think of what you have come through with the surgery etc. Not to mention the cost. Keep your chin up and keep posting.
    Love Rosie x

Sent from my iPad using WLS FORUM

johncg

Hi hides.

I found the eating bit a bit of a chore, I never felt hungry but knew I gad to eat, I stuck to yogurts soup and my favorite banana on ryvita….

Plenty of water… Slimfast shakes and snacks. Just small
    Portions and chew lots…. You will find it all starts again once the first fill is done

Love John xxx

hides

So guys, moving onto cottage pie with gravy, is day 6 too early….. No clear rules written down. Thank you rosie, of course i dont want to do any damage to band, so i will keep to soft things.

John you said ryvita…… When can i start on them, the thought of ryvita and low fat cheese sounds like a dream at the moment… Yum yum.

Heidi

johncg

I went onto ryvita on week three with banana….. When I had my first fill I could only eat two… And banana is a struggle

John xx

Nettie

Hi All,
    So sorry I’ve been away for a while so haven’t been able to check in, I had my third fill today, still struggling with holding my legs up in the air lol!
    Hope you are all well, so glad to hear you have had your band Heidi.
    Nettie xx

vickihayling

I was eating fairly solid food after a week – just in small portions. That was the advice I was given – only 3 days of slop and then work up to solid food by week 2 and all went well for me.

johncg

Nettie

All I hear is you and your legs in the air…. Get a Telly. ….. Lol

Love John….

Nettie

Oh John you never fail to make me laugh, hope things are still going as well for you, things are tougher for me now, but the weight is coming off so I’m not comlaining, the fills make choosing food much more difficult for the first couple of weeks afterwards and the band is certainly less tolerant of mistakes with portion size and what it does and doesn’t like and at what speed it wants it delivered! I’m back on liquids for 2 days after each band fill and then moving through the slush and mush stage before even attempting solids, by the time I get used to eating solids it’s time for another fill but it’s doing it’s job in precisely the way it should so I am happy.

Lots of love, Nettie xx

johncg

Hi Nettie.

They can’t stop us laughing….. Lol

What’s the average time between each fill?

Love John

hides

Hi guys
    My first fill isn’t till the end of nov. I’m now finding i can eat a few normal things, but only tiny quanities. Ie… I’ve been craving toast since my op, so yesterday i bought some nimble bread and toasted 1slice. Only had half of it, but it got rid of my craving, so i was happy. Is this normal to try the odd thing, or is it me being naughty……. I know it will all be different again when i have my fill. But i cant be eating more then 600cals a day, and the weight is slowly coming off, a pound every couple of days or so.

I guess i’m following, ‘ a little wont hurt, if it goes down ok ‘, or is this just another slippery slop for me to fall off. .?
    Heidi.

Nettie

Hi Heidi.
    You should follow the liquid then slush then mush then solid rule for the 1st month, I know it’s hard but it lets everything heal, you will be able to eat most textures until you have restriction from your fills, it has only been this last fill (fill 3) that has stopped me eating bread and meat and everything else thats vaguely nice and it’s only since this fill that I am not able to manage more than a few spoonfulls of slush or mush, I guess I’m getting to the optimum fill level. Enjoy your toast while you can Heidi you wont after you get to this point!! John in answer to your question, my Bariatric Nurse sees me every 4 weeks, I have had a fill every time but once I reach “sweet spot” maybe it wont be everytime.

Nettie xx

johncg

Cheers Nettie.,

It will be four weeks since first fill on the 8th November…. Who decides if a full is needed? I losing weight but have to work very hard at it by exercising every day, but I’m a tad worried that my picking has slightly increased albeit I’m only picking at fruit, and slim fast meal bars not In excess, so perhaps a second fill might be needed on or around the 8th.. I do find myself thinking about food but in a way that what shall I have for dinner tonight, and it normally comes down to chicken or fish…

But at least the weight is coming off so that’s the main aim of the operation, but i do want to make sure I’m eating the correct foods…. I am sick if I eat to fast or certain foods… Apples and bread are out completely.

A few statistics ( we love them don’t we)
    Pre op ( well at my largest) waist 48.. Now 38/40 depending on fit…. My weight went up to 24 stone… Now… 17.9….

Love John xxxx

Nettie

Hi John,
    Your stats are amazing, so you were 24 stone pre op and now you are 17.9. that’s 7 and a half stone and you’ve only just had your op, I guess you had been working a while on your weight pre op to have had such a significant loss.
    My lovely Baraitric Nurse asks me what my eating habits have been like since the fill and asks if they have changed over the 4 week period, mine have been noticably changing at the beginning of week 3, thats when I notice the effects of the fill wearing off and I am starting to get more hungry and am able to eat slighly more and by the end of week 4 I am starting to eat too much and I am not shifting on the scales or possibly starting to put on, so thats how she assesses the need to fill or not. Each fill has had a more significant effect, with this last one I am very restricted (but not overly, I can still keep fluids and some foods down.) My portion sizes are the smallest they have ever been, I’m now to the size recommended (a ramekin dish) any more than that and it wont stay down, before this fill I could eat 2 courses at a meal provided it wasn’t too fiberous so the difference is very noticeable, I think I am very close to “sweet spot” now, it will be interesting to see how I am at the beginning of week 3 this time.
    I’m so glad you are doing so well and it’s always nice to read your posts, actually really looking forward to meeting you hopefully at the tea party next summer, we started our journeys almost at the same time and it’s lovely to have someone to share it with.

Lots of love

Nettie xx

hides

Hi nettie and john
    Reading both of your posts with interest. Thanks for the food advice nettie, i have gone back to sloppy foods. It is so easy to forget what i’ve just had done, as the scars are healing. My portions are about 3 tablespoons at each meal. I’m finding that i’m not that hungry first thing in the morning.

I would be very interested in what you both would eat in a typical day.

John your loss is just …..wow. I’m not a great lover of exercise, but by the sounds of it, this has paid a big part for you. Do you go to the gym, or is this just walking and swimming.
    Best wishes
    Heidi

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 27 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media