Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

B12 Injections Post Bypass anyone been told the have these

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » B12 Injections Post Bypass anyone been told the have these

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Paul-H
    Participant

Hi all

looking for a bit of advice

just got back from my GP for my annual medication review and he asked me if I had been told I need to have B12 injections as he had been told that all Bypass patients are now being told that they should have B12 injections every 3 months for life, but he was not sure if it was just from one surgery team or for every Bypass patient and was going to check into it.

I will be having my annual full blood check in a few months time so will then know if my levels are down from what they where last year. Not showing any symptoms myself which was why I suggested holding off until the tests in a few months, although when I checked last years results I did notice my B12 was at the low end of normal, the range is 200 to 900 and mine was 300

Anyone know if this is a new recommendation for all patients.

Thanks

Paul

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Paul-H 32908 wrote:

Hi all

looking for a bit of advice

just got back from my GP for my annual medication review and he asked me if I had been told I need to have B12 injections as he had been told that all Bypass patients are now being told that they should have B12 injections every 3 months for life, but he was not sure if it was just from one surgery team or for every Bypass patient and was going to check into it.

I will be having my annual full blood check in a few months time so will then know if my levels are down from what they where last year. Not showing any symptoms myself which was why I suggested holding off until the tests in a few months, although when I checked last years results I did notice my B12 was at the low end of normal, the range is 200 to 900 and mine was 300

Anyone know if this is a new recommendation for all patients.

Thanks

Paul

Hi Paul.

I can only speak from experience and say that I have my bloods checked yearly and have only ever had to have one B12 injection in 6 years.

When I had mine done I was not told that I should have B12 injections every three months for life and have certainly never needed them with such frequency.

I shall try to find out from one of our dietitians but in the meantime, what does your GP think?

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

I’m really a bit confused Paul myself I tried to understand the new quildlines for nutrition and Baratric 2014 but It’s not clear id every one post bypass should have b12 injections every 3 months , doodah is it possible one of the dietition could clarify it for all of us who aren’t having b12 injections ATM .

Doodah
    Keymaster

@Kimberly 32917 wrote:

I’m really a bit confused Paul myself I tried to understand the new quildlines for nutrition and Baratric 2014 but It’s not clear id every one post bypass should have b12 injections every 3 months , doodah is it possible one of the dietition could clarify it for all of us who aren’t having b12 injections ATM .

Will send off an email today, Kim.

Doodah x

Doodah
    Keymaster

Email to Nicole been sent so will wait to hear what she has to say about it. I’m interested myself to be honest!

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

Thanks Sue

We await your update.

Paul

Doodah
    Keymaster

It may take a little longer than normal Paul, what with the festive season being well and truly upon us!

We discussed it at the Streamline Surgical South Coast support Group last night. Most of us seem to be doing things differently so it;’s quite possible that the recommendations may be ‘tailor-made’ rather than ‘one-size-fits-all’. Please excuse the tailoring analogy but I have new clothes on my mind lol!

Doodah x

Paul-H
    Participant

It’s been 5 years now, any reply on the B12 issue 😉

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media