Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Anyone had an Endoscopy post bariatric surgery?

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The NHS, General Medical & Funding for Weight Loss Surgery » Anyone had an Endoscopy post bariatric surgery?

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi all, sorry it’s been so long since I’ve been on the site but a lot has happened. We recently moved back to the North West and, as a result had to find a friendly doctor, which I’m glad to say we did. As a result of this she sent me for baseline bloods for thyroid, B12 etc, etc, and unfortunately something showed up in my blood test and she sent me to a consultant. He want’s to do a series of test one of which is for an upper GI endoscopy. My question is this, has anyone else had an endoscopy post gastric bypass and, if so what was it like? The nurse wasn’t sure if it would complicate things, by the sound of it she hadn’t met many bariatric surgery patients and she was unsure as to whether they would be able to do this procedure. Any advice would be gratefully received.

It’s good to be back.

Love to you.

Lesley
    xxxxx:israel:

Lauren
    Keymaster

@Deifersmum 33276 wrote:

Hi all, sorry it’s been so long since I’ve been on the site but a lot has happened. We recently moved back to the North West and, as a result had to find a friendly doctor, which I’m glad to say we did. As a result of this she sent me for baseline bloods for thyroid, B12 etc, etc, and unfortunately something showed up in my blood test and she sent me to a consultant. He want’s to do a series of test one of which is for an upper GI endoscopy. My question is this, has anyone else had an endoscopy post gastric bypass and, if so what was it like? The nurse wasn’t sure if it would complicate things, by the sound of it she hadn’t met many bariatric surgery patients and she was unsure as to whether they would be able to do this procedure. Any advice would be gratefully received.

It’s good to be back.

Love to you.

Lesley
    xxxxx:israel:

It’s GREAT to have you back, Lesley!

So glad you have found a nice doctor. It makes so much difference doesn’t it?

I had an upper GI endoscopy at The Queen Alexandra Hospital at about 8 months out. I was sedated and have to say that I didn’t feel a thing but I could hear myself belching! It was absolutely fine and made a diagnosis much easier (tiny hernia which was sorted there and then with a little balloon thingy) Can you tell I’m not a clinician haha?

I was done and dusted and at home with a brew in a matter of hours. Someone had to drive me there and back though.

I’m sure there will be others on here who will be able to give you more info on it all.

It really is great to have you back 😉

Doodah x

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi doodah
    Thanks for your reply, its put my mind at rest, I just didn’t want to agree to anything that would put the GB at risk in any way and knowing how the plumping is now wasn’t sure if an endoscopy was even possible but if you’ve had it, and all’s well then I will no doubt find something else to worry about, I’m sure if I try hard enough I will find something !!!! lol It’s good to be back I’ve missed you bariatric brothers and sisters.

Thanks again Doodah,
    Lots of love
    Lesley
    xxxxx

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

i would make sure the person actually doing endoscopy knows you have had a bypass so they know what to expect and know there was not be a stomach as they know it, as long as they know and know to go slowly you should be fine.

Give them your teams contact number so they can call them for advice if needed.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

Paul, that’s a great point. We should always let anyone who is treating us know that we have had bariatric surgery so that they don’t think we are harbouring an alien in our stomachs! Seriously though, it is always best to make clinical people aware of what you’ve had done.

I think there should be a bracelet like the ones you have for diabetes. I have two already – one for steroid user and the other for COPD/Asthma. They are cheap as chips (or free at your clinic) and can save lives. Maybe we should get a bariatric surgery one designed and made?!

It’s so good to have you back, Lesley. I’m glad you felt that you can always come here, no matter how long you have been away. People have surgery and go off to have exciting, new lives. That’s exactly what is supposed to happen. But we are all here for you when you want to pop in for a visit!

Doodah x

Lelly

@Doodah 33285 wrote:

Paul, that’s a great point. We should always let anyone who is treating us know that we have had bariatric surgery so that they don’t think we are harbouring an alien in our stomachs! Seriously though, it is always best to make clinical people aware of what you’ve had done.

I think there should be a bracelet like the ones you have for diabetes. I have two already – one for steroid user and the other for COPD/Asthma. They are cheap as chips (or free at your clinic) and can save lives. Maybe we should get a bariatric surgery one designed and made?!

It’s so good to have you back, Lesley. I’m glad you felt that you can always come here, no matter how long you have been away. People have surgery and go off to have exciting, new lives. That’s exactly what is supposed to happen. But we are all here for you when you want to pop in for a visit!

Doodah x

Brilliant idea!

Lauren
    Keymaster

I’m going to look into it. How to get one made up. My Sister sings with the Military Wives and they have ones saying ‘Stronger Together’ so will pick her brains. Leave it with me….

Doodah x

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media