Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

An update – one month out

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    CurvyJem
    Participant

Hi all,

I just thought I’d give you all an update on how I’m getting on as it’s exactly one month to the day since I had my Gastric bypass at Clementine Churchill Hospital with Guy Slater. My op went really well (apart from a bad reaction to one of the painkillers but nothing major) and I’ve had my first check-up with Streamline and they seem really pleased with my progress.

I was up and about the same day I had my op, luckily the pain was easily manageable and my friends and family were AMAZING and so supportive so I got through the time off work easily as I was never without visitors.

I’ve adjusted to my new diet easily, although having just moved on to the “soft food” stage I am learning that I really must chew chew chew and eat slowly as I’ve had a couple of episodes of the dreaded foamies which I don’t want to be repeating! I’ve also discovered a love for exercise I never thought I’d find and have been swimming every day in my lunchbreak and even planning an early morning gym session tomorrow – I’ve changed!

Down 2 stone 10lbs from my pre-milk diet weight – wuhoo! Hope you’re all budging up on the losers bench for me 🙂

Happy to answer any questions from people considering the op as I know you will all have a few!

Jemma

Lauren
    Keymaster

@CurvyJem 34507 wrote:

Hi all,

I just thought I’d give you all an update on how I’m getting on as it’s exactly one month to the day since I had my Gastric bypass at Clementine Churchill Hospital with Guy Slater. My op went really well (apart from a bad reaction to one of the painkillers but nothing major) and I’ve had my first check-up with Streamline and they seem really pleased with my progress.

I was up and about the same day I had my op, luckily the pain was easily manageable and my friends and family were AMAZING and so supportive so I got through the time off work easily as I was never without visitors.

I’ve adjusted to my new diet easily, although having just moved on to the “soft food” stage I am learning that I really must chew chew chew and eat slowly as I’ve had a couple of episodes of the dreaded foamies which I don’t want to be repeating! I’ve also discovered a love for exercise I never thought I’d find and have been swimming every day in my lunchbreak and even planning an early morning gym session tomorrow – I’ve changed!

Down 2 stone 10lbs from my pre-milk diet weight – wuhoo! Hope you’re all budging up on the losers bench for me 🙂

Happy to answer any questions from people considering the op as I know you will all have a few!

Jemma

Hi Jemma

Thank you SO much for this update. It will be so inspirational to anyone waiting for or considering weight loss surgery.

What really pleases me is the fact that everyone was so supportive. It’s a huge undertaking but it is so much easier when they people who care about you are backing you one hundred percent.

The dreaded frothing is enough to make us avoid the situation again isn’t it!? Exercise is a fantastic new focus. So many of us have found the same comfort in it. How lucky you are to swim every lunch hour! Your weight loss so far is fantastic. Keep up the good work, Jemma. You are doing everything right. Be prepared to be cold this winter though my lovely. It is the one and only negative of having wls. You all know that I whine about it all the time haha!

Again, thanks a million for this update and the offer of help to all the other newbies. I love this forum. Everyone is so supportive, kind and willing to share tips and hints.

Doodah x

CurvyJem
    Participant

Hi Doodah,

Good to catch to up 🙂

Yes my friends and family were fabulous, I was inundated with visitors and it meant I always had someone to go for my 30 minute walk with the first few days after my op when it was really important for me to be up and about as much as possible. I really couldn’t have got this far without the support of my friends and family – what a great bunch!

The exercise is continuing – I went for a 10km walk at Great Windsor Park yesterday and managed an evening swim, my legs are like jelly today though but everything helps!

I’m already feeling the cold more than I usually would actually – I’ve invested in a hot water bottle though and that seems to be doing the trick at the moment! I’ve noticed a few oddities that I put down to my own weirdness but when I googled it seems like they are all experienced by people after WLS – restless leg syndrome, coldness, cravings for pizza (which I didn’t even eat regularly before my op!) and food dreams!

I’ll make sure I keep you all posted on my progress as it’s great to also have advice & support from you guys when needed!

Jemma

bikerchris
    Participant

I never tire of hearing of people’s successes. In many ways, the initial time after the op is the best bit. Every day there is something new, we discover we can walk further than last week or that an item of clothing fits when it didn’t before or we’ve discovered a new food to add to our meal plans.

You’re weight loss is fantastic too, Jemma . It’s not all about the number on the dial, but you must be feeling the difference, getting so active is great too. Be prepared for an avalanche of compliments, if you’re not getting them already.

Well done x

penny

Hi all, really, what is this frothing thing ? is it similar to getting stuck and ending up a mucous monster for a couple of hours.!

Well done Jemma sounds like your doing fantastic. I love swimming and look forward to this once again, after I lose some weight, my op due approx nov18th with chris pring xx

CurvyJem
    Participant

Hi Penny,
    Foaming/frothing was new to me last week, but from what I can fathom it’s how I am sick now. There is no retching and no stomach acid in my pouch so what comes up is a combination of saliva (froth) and food.

Trust me it’s not pleasant but it gives you a wake up call if you eat too fast, too much or something which you shouldn’t – I’m only on the soft food stage! Whoops.

I have noticed so many positive changes both in my body being lighter and in my relationship with food that these little reminders or blips just help me along my way.

So glad I had my op and wouldn’t change it for the world! Best of luck preparing for yours, I bet you can’t wait for November to be here 🙂

Kimberly
    Participant

Wow your amazing , keep going with the exercise . How does it feel ? . Have you noticed any other changes ? Apart from the losing so much weight ? I just love hearing how this surgery transform people life’s

Lauren
    Keymaster

@penny 34511 wrote:

Hi all, really, what is this frothing thing ? is it similar to getting stuck and ending up a mucous monster for a couple of hours.!

Well done Jemma sounds like your doing fantastic. I love swimming and look forward to this once again, after I lose some weight, my op due approx nov18th with chris pring xx

It’s exactly that, Penny. If you eat too quickly, food can get ‘stuck’ and your body will produce endless thick ‘froth’ (saliva) to try to digest it. It’s absolutely vile. I haven’t had it for a few years now but I know it is more likely to happen if I eat too fast when I’m cold too.

Your surgery date will come around in the blink of an eye, even though you might not think it at the moment!

Doodah x

CurvyJem
    Participant

Hi Kimberly,

I’m just enjoying life more already, which I thought would take longer to be honest!

It’s easier to get out of bed in the mornings (and I commute into London so it’s usually relatively early!), I’ve got more energy, I want to do more things and feel more confident doing them, food doesn’t rule my life any more and i love it!

Although I do need to be super prepared all the time, make sure I’ve got snacks/food with me that I can eat and enjoy otherwise I find I do get light-headed or tire more quickly if I’m active.

I thought it might be a year or more before WLS changed my life but it’s already started and I know I’ve got loads more to come, I’m still very overweight but there’s light at the end of the tunnel and for that I couldn’t be more grateful to Streamline 🙂

Jemma

penny

thanks doodah, i cannot wait is very true, glad i have everyone support here before surgery xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

We have all supported each other immensely on here. I for one have been helped through some really bleak periods of my life and will never be able to put into words how truly grateful I am 🙂

Doodah x

penny

Doodah, I agree, I thank you for the comment the other day about the time will now fly, I was looking at the calendar today for the following month birthdays ect and realised its Oct tomorrow!! , so true, time at the moment has flown since the start of this, its all about getting organised now, my husband bought for me a soup maker yesterday I was so surprised he never buys things like that he would usually give me the money so I go and get it,
    lots love xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@penny 34527 wrote:

Doodah, I agree, I thank you for the comment the other day about the time will now fly, I was looking at the calendar today for the following month birthdays ect and realised its Oct tomorrow!! , so true, time at the moment has flown since the start of this, its all about getting organised now, my husband bought for me a soup maker yesterday I was so surprised he never buys things like that he would usually give me the money so I go and get it,
    lots love xx

That’s amazing. He must really be behind you 100%. What a lovely thing to do. Aw, that is really uplifting, Penny. With support like that, you are going to do brilliantly 🙂

Doodah x

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media