Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Advice requested – 9 months post bypass

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » The Gastric Bypass- 6 months & beyond » Advice requested – 9 months post bypass

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi All

I hope someone out there can help me with some advice. I’m now just over 9 months post gastic bypass and all is going well. I’m over six stone lighter and feeling great except for two things that I have noticed just recently.

1. I’m feeling very tired, to the point that I’m falling asleep on the sofa watching the tv in the evening, which is very unlike me, didnt do that even when I was pregnant, and..
    2. Has anyone gone off coffee 9 months post op, I can drink a small cup but nothing like what I used to. Don’t get a wrong we’re not talking caffeine overdose but I used to have two or three small mugs a day, now I’m luck if I can get one small cup down.

If anyone can give me some advice I’d be grateful.

Happy New Year to everyone.

Lots of love
    Lesley
    xxxx

medic

Hello, Glad to see you are doing well. I am nearly 2 yrs post by-pass, and a recent blood test showed an iron & vit B12 deficiency. Like you I was feeling tired a lot and was ‘nodding off’ on occasion. If you have not yet spoken to your GP I think you should. It may be something totally different to my symptoms, but worth checking with a medical proffessional.
    Good luck!
    Tom.

ruby tuesday

I agree, being very tired is a symptom of aneamia, and I found immediately post op I can’t take milk, went off coffee and can barely finish my beloved cup of tea, so your tastes do change, and sometimes health issues do mean we go off things, funnily enough caffine depleates our iron level, so your body may be trying to hang on to what it has got by putting you off coffee – doc’s apt for you! xx

Ganny
    Participant

Hi Lesley
    Are you having your blood checked, I have mine checked every 3 months and the last when came back ok, so I would advise you to get it checked out, as for the coffee I can no longer drink coffee since the op well not at home anyway when I am out I can (very strange) and I was always a coffee drinker I am now a tea drinker which I wasn’t before, so you are not alone there. Hope you had a lovely Christmas and I wish you all the best for the New Year, I am back at Chichester on the 5th for the dietician.
    Elaine xx

ruby tuesday

Im the same Elaine, and despite not being able to drink milk, still like Starbucks frappaccino or latte, but that is the only time I have coffee, or drink milk, weird eh!

hazelann70

Are you taking a multivitamin? Also, as previously mentioned, B12 plays a key role in the tiredness thing. Not that I have had any problems with that but I do have a jab every 12 weeks. I noticed a huge difference when I started taking Centrum Advance if that’s any help!

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi All

Thanks for the advice, I’m definitley going to make an appointment with my gp when I get back after new year. I’ll also try swapping my multi vits to centrum advance, a different brand may have something that my existing ones don’t, thanks for the tip.

Happy New Year to everyone and hope you all have a good 2012.

Lots of love
    Lesley
    xxxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Have you managed to see your GP yet Lesley? Hope you are sorted 😉

Doodah x

Deifersmum
    Participant

Hi Doodah

Not yet, she’s on holiday waiting for Monday when she’s back, there are other GP’s in the surgery but she’s been with me all the way and I trust her. I’ll let you know once I’ve seen her.

Love

Lesley
    xxx

Doodah
    Keymaster

Thanks for that update Lesley. Totally understand that you want to stick with your regular GP. Mine left about 4 months ago and I was so sad. However, it has given his replacement the chance to learn about bariatric surgery dealing with me! So have the student doctors they had come along for a few weeks. So, as life always proves: one door closes, another opens.

Have a good weekend and hope to hear from you Monday.

Doodah xx

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media