Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

Aaaggggghh doctors !!!!

Home ยป Topics ยป Surgical Journey ยป The NHS, General Medical & Funding for Weight Loss Surgery ยป Aaaggggghh doctors !!!!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 137 total)
  • Author
    ageb

Been trying to get my GP to refer me to someone to start looking at
    doing something about my weight for about 6 months now
    first time he said he needed to speak to another doctor who was on holiday
    did not hear anything, so went back and he then said he needed to speak to someone
    else and they were on holiday !

I just went to see him, and I took along the information from my local hospital saying about
    weight loss which described BMI levels and co-morbids

he then said that my hypertension is being lowered to normal levels and so its being controlled
    and am therefore not eligible unless I put on more weight

my current BMI is 37.81

so do I either put on another 7 kg or so, or stop the medication ???
    my weight is still increasing and will probably get there soon anyway

I get very breathless, can no longer walk up the stairs, I am also suffering
    with constant pain in legs

why he could not have said this 6 months ago I don’t know

so annoyed ๐Ÿ™

Hi I have a friend who’s BMI is 48.4 who also suffers other illnesses due to her weight and only this week has been referred for weight loss surgery and she has been going to see her doc for 3-4 years now….although she has been referred this still dosnt mean that she will get it!!!!!
    She was told that just recently the guide lines have changed and need to be atleast 50 BMI!!! But this could be different from trust to trust!!!

My BMI is very similar to your and I have struggled all my life with weight from been my biggest at a size 24 to my smallest a size 8!!! Over the last fee years I have started to gain weight again and last year gained 3 stone :(…..so I decided to fund the band myself and although it is only early days wish I had done it years ago….

Good luck and I hope ur sucessful

Lisa x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

A lot depends on your PCT and their rules which don’t always follow national guidelines.

I know when I had my surgery my BMI was down the 36 and it was only at 40 when I was, refered. I did have a number of co-morbidities though. In my case high blood pressure and high Colestarol, was counted even though both where controlled by medication, it’s still a co-morbidity even if its controlled, as the idea behind having the surgery is to save the NHS in not having to prescribe the medication to treat your illness. I was also type 2 diabetic, had arthritis and sleep aponea. They are all co-morbidities. I would contact your PCT and ask them what their requirements are for WLS and then go back to your GP and ask for a referral. After all they might say yes or at least tell you what the very long process is that you have to follow before you get your surgery. For someone starting out now there are a lot of hoops to jump through before you even get reffered to the hospital team so its best to get it started soon, also having a GP that is on the ball is half the battle.

Good luck

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

I had to wait three years for my surgery despite my BMI being….64!!! At the time, the BMI requirement was 60 in Hampshire. Can you believe that? 60? I honestly thought at one point that they would rather I had just died and then I would no longer have been a burden. Anyway, a new GP arrived at my surgery who was really on the ball and got it all through for me. I saw Shaw Somers a month later and a month after that I had my bypass. I would not be sat here today if I hadn’t had it – of that I am certain.

Keep trying. In wls terms a BMI of 37 isn’tat the high end but if it is making an impact on your health an well-being then it needs to be sorted – sooner rather than later. Maybe ask for a second opinion from another GP?

I hope you get the answers you are looking for but if you don’t, seriously think about funding it yourself if you are in a position to do so. It will be the best thing you ever do for yourself ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

ageb

thanks for the kind words and support
    was a bit down after waiting all that time for him to turn around and say that
    when he could have said it 6 months ago.

my local PCT is the royal devon & exeter, and they state “uncontrolled hypertension” as a co-morbid

I have been on the NICE website and the NICE guidelines state “high blood pressure that could be improved if they lost weight”

now i guess that my local PCT does not follow the guidelines , however the PCT in Taunton seem to follow the NICE guidelines as thier website states the above statement as shown on the NICE website
    the Taunton PCT also say they accept referals from out of area, so looks like I can ask my GP to refer me to the Taunton PCT, which is the place I would have to go for surgery (if funded) anyway as they dont do it at Exeter

I have telephoned the Exeter PCT weight loss team, but no one answered , so left a message so i can clarify the
    criteria on co-morbids with them, just incase they would accept me as a referal, hopefully they will get back to me soon and I will update here to say how I get on with them.

If not I will ask my GP to refer me to Taunton PCT as i do meet their criteria, bit further to travel but needs must

just want to get the ball rolling, if all else fails I will go private, so am already trying to save what i can

Lauren
    Keymaster

@ageb 29651 wrote:

thanks for the kind words and support
    was a bit down after waiting all that time for him to turn around and say that
    when he could have said it 6 months ago.

my local PCT is the royal devon & exeter, and they state “uncontrolled hypertension” as a co-morbid

I have been on the NICE website and the NICE guidelines state “high blood pressure that could be improved if they lost weight”

now i guess that my local PCT does not follow the guidelines , however the PCT in Taunton seem to follow the NICE guidelines as thier website states the above statement as shown on the NICE website
    the Taunton PCT also say they accept referals from out of area, so looks like I can ask my GP to refer me to the Taunton PCT, which is the place I would have to go for surgery (if funded) anyway as they dont do it at Exeter

I have telephoned the Exeter PCT weight loss team, but no one answered , so left a message so i can clarify the
    criteria on co-morbids with them, just incase they would accept me as a referal, hopefully they will get back to me soon and I will update here to say how I get on with them.

If not I will ask my GP to refer me to Taunton PCT as i do meet their criteria, bit further to travel but needs must

just want to get the ball rolling, if all else fails I will go private, so am already trying to save what i can

You know, sometimes I think the fact that funding is so hard to get is the first really big test as to whether or not someone is serious about weight loss surgery. the fact that there are many of us who struggled for YEARS proves that we do indeed have the will and tenacity to make it work! Why else would we put ourselves through so much heartache and stress?!

Just keep pushing and then a bit more. It will prove to everyone concerned that you are dedicated to the task in hand and are not any sort of quitter! I had to admit defeat bout my plastics funding but then that wasn’t life threatening. getting my wls literally was a matter of life or death for me.

Please keep us informed and come here anytime you need support, information or just a ruddy good vent!

Doodah x

ageb

did not get any reply to the message I left with the hospital
    so rang again (a few times) just get answer phone.

Think I will physically go there and bang on the desk until someone speaks to me !

Lauren
    Keymaster

It’s SO frustrating I know. It’s all you can think about and it even pops up in your dreams. I feel for you very much having been through it all myself. Hang in there ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

ageb

hmm, I posted a reply about an hour ago and it seems to have disappeared
    that’s happened before. but the spelling mistake on previous post has updated, strange.

anyway it did say….

thanks for the support, it does help ๐Ÿ™‚
    My normal GP is away for 4 weeks, so I thought I would go and see another GP
    at the health centre, however all he said was that I needed to see my normal GP
    as he would know my medical history, so that did not work ๐Ÿ™
    I will go to the hospital and see if I can speak to someone there

….

UPDATE

just been up the hospital, don’t know if I have really got anywhere
    I could only see one of the nurses that happened to be at the reception desk
    when I got there, she said she could not give any info unless I had been referred.
    She said need to see GP and get him to write, I said my GP does not know the criteria
    for referral and explained my BMI of 38 and High Blood pressure, she said all he needs to
    do is write with that info and they would put me on the list to see the Dr at the hospital
    to see how to progress from there.

So don’t really know if they will accept me or not, according to the website need to have
    “uncontrolled blood pressure” with BMI over 35, But she just said high blood pressure

My GP is not back for 4 weeks , so I will go back to him and say I have been to the hospital
    and they said to get my GP to write saying about my BMI and high blood pressure
    and see if he will do so.

Just need to get my foot in the door

will update in 4 weeks , hopefully with some better news

Lauren
    Keymaster

It’s like being on a merry go round isn’t it? Hope to hear some good news soon ๐Ÿ˜‰

Doodah x

Kimberly
    Participant

Could you consider going for a private consultation with your local Baratric surgeon . I know it’s expensive about ยฃ200 but they will then be able to give you some ideal if you would be funded by pct .they will know what the commissioners are funding locally , also you are only paying for a consultation . They then will write to your GP and advice them and you what the best. Remember the surgeons are all consultants and part of their role is to give advice to health professionals and also their patience .If you are eligible then your treatment could be nhs once approved be funded by the PCT commissioners.
    It’s a mine field

Lauren
    Keymaster

It IS a lot of money but it would be so well spent if it is at all possible that you could raise it. It may help to put everything into place or let you know for sure whether or not you are entitled to funding. I think the worst thing is not to know so, if it were me (I never tell anyone what they should or shouldn’t do) I would do it.

Please keep in touch and let us know how you get on and what you think you will do next. Finger and everything else crossed for you ๐Ÿ™‚

Doodah x

ageb

thanks, not sure how I would go about seeing a surgeon as Kimberly suggested
    would I need to get my GP to write to the surgeon ?
    that might another stumbling block !

if all else fails would any of the consultants at Streamline be able to help in any way ?
    either by referral to local surgeon (think that would be at the Musgrove in Taunton)
    or by seeing me in person, I don’t mind traveling to see someone as a private paitent if it will get the ball moving

treeza

I’m not sure where you live but I just emailed Chris Pring & asked if I could have an appointment to see him! I didn’t need to go through my GP! I was just given an appointment. Mr Pring went through every procedure with me then informed which he felt was best for me! I did go privately from then as GP advised it could take a year or more to get funding & being really honest I feared for my life! Good luck honey x I think we all know how frustrating it can be! It’s hard when your at the point of deciding you need to do something to improve you health & well being & they are saying no you have to jump through a bunch of hoops x wishing you all the very best. Research the surgeon in you area & email them! X

Kimberly
    Participant

Do you know the name of who operating WLS locally ? Then check their name out and phone his secretary asking for an initially consultation . Recently I paid to see a cardiologist as my family were hyper worried about me . I just phoned the local spires and booked an appointment He informed them and me I wasn’t about to have a heart attack , which really reassured them and me , he then referred me to see a cardiac surgeon .this just meant we didn’t have to wait 4/5 month, honesty the best present if ever had .
    And I know it every expensive but for me it took away months of anxiety, worry . Just to warn you it’s weirded paying for an appointment they take your money , at reception before you see any one .

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 137 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media