Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

6 months post op. 9 stone down.

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    shelleymarie

Hey all. Hope you are well. I was 6 months post op yesterday and I hope you don’t mind me sharing some of the great things that have happened.

As of this morning I’m 2lbs away from losing 9 stone.

I’ve lost 18 inches off my waist. I’m ashamed to admit my waist was as many inches as I was tall! Thank goodness no more.

I couldn’t walk more than a few steps. My tiny 5ft 1 frame was literally crushed under my 26st weight. The pain in my back was so bad that even morphine couldn’t help and I had to have a heavy duty wheel chair. Now I can walk miles and miles and go to the gym at least 3 times a week. Unfortunately I’ve been left with knee pain now I move more but that pain is nothing compared to the back pain I felt.

I’ve gone from a size 36 to a size 20. So excited about getting down a couple more sizes so I can shop in the shops I’ve always wanted to.

I couldn’t work for years due to being too heavy to walk and severe depression. Within 8 weeks of my bypass I was asked by the vets I volunteered at to do a cover position and then a part time job, now I start full time job as a veterinary receptionist on the 14th of December which is just amazing for me.

There has been lots of other things that have been great too. I will say it’s not been easy. As anyone knows who has had the surgery it’s never plain sailing. I was very sick for around 8 weeks and I still am now occasionally, I developed liver function issues when I couldn’t keep much down in the early days but it’s normal now. It’s not like that for everyone but the first couple of months were awful and felt never ending but this seems so long ago now and definitely worth the positives that have come since then have made it a distant memory. You still have to constantly watch you eat and exercise but I don’t have the extreme hunger I felt before that made it so hard to do it on will power alone.

I’m off my blood pressure medication and have a normal bp, I still don’t smoke and don’t plan on starting again, a normal cholesterol level and my asthma is under control. My depression has improved greatly, a recent sudden death of a friend has made it rear it’s head again but I’m fighting it hard and can still appreciate how many good things I have in my life.

Anyway so that’s a small snippet of my last 6 months. Anyone thinking about wls, I’m another one who recommends it. Mr Slater more than saved my life, he gave me one.

Thanks again for the support I’ve received, especially in my pre op stage when my head was all over the place. Here is to the next 6 months. Can’t wait to see what happens 🙂

Shelley x

I tried to upload a pic but it wouldn’t let me. Will try again another time.

What an amazing and inspirational post. You seem so determined and have achieved so much. You should be very proud xxxxxx

Whitey

Hi Shelley what a great post. It’s great to hear how your life has been turned around by WLS. You should be very proud of yourself and I’m sure your story will inspire lots of people considering surgery. Keep up the good work. Elaine x

shelleymarie

Thanks so much. I do hope this inspires others as I lived for these sort of posts pre op. I would read them and think how the surgery was going to give me a future and as you can see it has, I really didn’t have one before. I think I would have been lucky to survive another 5 years, 10 at the very most. Now I don’t see why I wont have a healthy, happy long life. Also as of this morning I’ve lost 9st 😀 Thanks again 🙂 x

wow Shelley

Your journey has been amazing, congratulations on getting yourself a full time job and good luck what a lovely Christmas present. Also all the best with what we talked about earlier!

I’m inspired
    Claire

Lauren
    Keymaster

@shelleymarie 26800 wrote:

Hey all. Hope you are well. I was 6 months post op yesterday and I hope you don’t mind me sharing some of the great things that have happened.

As of this morning I’m 2lbs away from losing 9 stone.

I’ve lost 18 inches off my waist. I’m ashamed to admit my waist was as many inches as I was tall! Thank goodness no more.

I couldn’t walk more than a few steps. My tiny 5ft 1 frame was literally crushed under my 26st weight. The pain in my back was so bad that even morphine couldn’t help and I had to have a heavy duty wheel chair. Now I can walk miles and miles and go to the gym at least 3 times a week. Unfortunately I’ve been left with knee pain now I move more but that pain is nothing compared to the back pain I felt.

I’ve gone from a size 36 to a size 20. So excited about getting down a couple more sizes so I can shop in the shops I’ve always wanted to.

I couldn’t work for years due to being too heavy to walk and severe depression. Within 8 weeks of my bypass I was asked by the vets I volunteered at to do a cover position and then a part time job, now I start full time job as a veterinary receptionist on the 14th of December which is just amazing for me.

There has been lots of other things that have been great too. I will say it’s not been easy. As anyone knows who has had the surgery it’s never plain sailing. I was very sick for around 8 weeks and I still am now occasionally, I developed liver function issues when I couldn’t keep much down in the early days but it’s normal now. It’s not like that for everyone but the first couple of months were awful and felt never ending but this seems so long ago now and definitely worth the positives that have come since then have made it a distant memory. You still have to constantly watch you eat and exercise but I don’t have the extreme hunger I felt before that made it so hard to do it on will power alone.

I’m off my blood pressure medication and have a normal bp, I still don’t smoke and don’t plan on starting again, a normal cholesterol level and my asthma is under control. My depression has improved greatly, a recent sudden death of a friend has made it rear it’s head again but I’m fighting it hard and can still appreciate how many good things I have in my life.

Anyway so that’s a small snippet of my last 6 months. Anyone thinking about wls, I’m another one who recommends it. Mr Slater more than saved my life, he gave me one.

Thanks again for the support I’ve received, especially in my pre op stage when my head was all over the place. Here is to the next 6 months. Can’t wait to see what happens 🙂

Shelley x

I tried to upload a pic but it wouldn’t let me. Will try again another time.

Shelley, I have to admit to having a bit of a blub reading this post. Your story is SO similar to mine it’s incredible. I absolutely KNOW how you are feeling. If I hadn’t had my bypass, I have no doubt I would either be dead or close to it by now.

It isn’t easy (are you listening media!?) and your strength of character and determination is awe inspiring. Thank you so much for sharing this amazing stage of your life – all those positives will mean so much to anyone considering wls right now. I’m SO proud of you and I hope you feel the same about yourself. Well done on your job. My second most ideal one if I didn’t already have the first!

Totally wonderful to read this on a cold, wet windy Monday morning. Right, blow my nose and make a brew time. I LOVE my job. I get to hear these tales of hope on a daily basis.

Doodah x

shelleymarie

Aw Doodah, I’m so happy you enjoyed hearing my update so far. I really have appreciated all your support and know you enjoy hearing how all of us flourish after surgery 😀 My job is amazing! My dream job is to be vet nurse/nursing assistant but any job in practice is hard to get so I’m so thankful for this one and love it. It can very emotionally difficult at times and high pressured but I’m proud of myself for coping well so far, I hope when I start officially I can continue to impress my bosses and thrive in a full time job for the first time since I was 22 (10 years ago).

You are right it isn’t easy, everyday I make conscious decisions towards my new life but it’s worth it. It really is. I’ve lost 9lb this week! I’m in the 16’s for the first time since I was 18. I’m learning all about moderation for the first time in my life and I can cook! Really nutritious, yummy, low fat meals, that I never thought I could do. Not sure why I thought I could only dial for a pizza. I had another wonderful moment today where I managed to get into my college hoodie that has my name on the back – I brought it before I graduated a year and a half a go but obviously had no chance of ever wearing it as they’re biggest size was far too small. I’m going to take a picture and send it to my college friends, I think they will be amazed.

Thanks again for the support. I shall do my best to make you and myself proud 🙂 xx

Lauren
    Keymaster

Another amazing post. You go girl!! It’s absolutely brilliant to hear all your ‘firsts’.

Would love to see a pic of you in the hoody too!

Doodah x

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media