Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

5 weeks post op

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    shelleymarie

Hi All. I’m just checking in to give an update for how I’m doing 5 weeks post op. Thought it might be useful for anyone who was nearly there. I’ve lost 2 stone since the surgery, and 4 stone over all including pre op. I had a couple of weeks (week 2 & 3) that I struggled with a lot of sickness. The nurses thought it might be a bug and my doctor wasn’t sure but I got a bit dehydrated as I found drinking in the first few weeks hard going but once the initial swelling went down that has improved greatly. So if you are struggling that way, persevere as it gets better and drinking becomes easier. I’m now on mashed stage and it’s so much better than being on purée. My average days food is something like cottage cheese for breakfast, chicken and veg soup for lunch, mash veg/potato and low sugar beans for dinner. I try to have one or two snacks a day like a soy nas milkshake or a low fat cheese triangle. I cannot tolerate milk since my op so use soft cheese and soy products for extra calcium and protein. Most days now I feel fine but occasionally I do still have a sicky day where food seems harder than other days to tolerate. I’m assuming that’s just the pouch being temperamental? I’ve got my post op check with Mr. Slater tomorrow so will mention it.

Lots of things have already improved since my surgery. Most of my clothes are too big or baggy. I can walk a little now. I can fit behind the wheel of a car so hoping to start driving lessons soon. I’ve lost over 24″ from my entire body since the surgery. I don’t think about food all the time and now only get hungry if I forget to eat for a long time (need to set an alarm!). I can now sit in those metal curved chairs that lots of café’s have outside and it doesn’t feel like the chair is going to break. I can sit in my own garden furniture! and last night I had the the boards I put on my bed to reinforce it for my weight removed, the bed is much more comfortable now. Lastly and perhaps best of all I can pick up my best friends 7 month old baby boy and pop him on my lap as I now actually have a bit of a bit of a lap! lol.

I’m very happy with my bypass so far and looking forward to all the things the future holds for me now. I’m hoping to be cleared for swimming tomorrow and can’t wait to start building my strength up. I’ve booked a holiday to La Palma in November, shall be 6 months post op and looking forward an active, healthy holiday for a change. Lots of swimming and sight seeing 🙂

Hope everyone is doing well 🙂 x

ebaa

Congratulations well done !!! I am almost 2 mths post op I had bypass 11th may with Chris pring at Guildford. I have lost 3.5 stone in total and can’t believe what a difference it has made already !!! Carry on enjoying all the new things that you can do I look forward to seeing them posted on here !! X

shelleymarie

Well done too ebaa! It’s amazing isn’t it? so much can change is such a short time. Just imagine what we will be up to in a year from now! 😀 x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@shelleymarie 24599 wrote:

Hi All. I’m just checking in to give an update for how I’m doing 5 weeks post op. Thought it might be useful for anyone who was nearly there. I’ve lost 2 stone since the surgery, and 4 stone over all including pre op. I had a couple of weeks (week 2 & 3) that I struggled with a lot of sickness. The nurses thought it might be a bug and my doctor wasn’t sure but I got a bit dehydrated as I found drinking in the first few weeks hard going but once the initial swelling went down that has improved greatly. So if you are struggling that way, persevere as it gets better and drinking becomes easier. I’m now on mashed stage and it’s so much better than being on purée. My average days food is something like cottage cheese for breakfast, chicken and veg soup for lunch, mash veg/potato and low sugar beans for dinner. I try to have one or two snacks a day like a soy nas milkshake or a low fat cheese triangle. I cannot tolerate milk since my op so use soft cheese and soy products for extra calcium and protein. Most days now I feel fine but occasionally I do still have a sicky day where food seems harder than other days to tolerate. I’m assuming that’s just the pouch being temperamental? I’ve got my post op check with Mr. Slater tomorrow so will mention it.

Lots of things have already improved since my surgery. Most of my clothes are too big or baggy. I can walk a little now. I can fit behind the wheel of a car so hoping to start driving lessons soon. I’ve lost over 24″ from my entire body since the surgery. I don’t think about food all the time and now only get hungry if I forget to eat for a long time (need to set an alarm!). I can now sit in those metal curved chairs that lots of café’s have outside and it doesn’t feel like the chair is going to break. I can sit in my own garden furniture! and last night I had the the boards I put on my bed to reinforce it for my weight removed, the bed is much more comfortable now. Lastly and perhaps best of all I can pick up my best friends 7 month old baby boy and pop him on my lap as I now actually have a bit of a bit of a lap! lol.

I’m very happy with my bypass so far and looking forward to all the things the future holds for me now. I’m hoping to be cleared for swimming tomorrow and can’t wait to start building my strength up. I’ve booked a holiday to La Palma in November, shall be 6 months post op and looking forward an active, healthy holiday for a change. Lots of swimming and sight seeing 🙂

Hope everyone is doing well 🙂 x

I’m so lucky today!! Another post on here that has me beaming from ear to ear!

Well done Shelley, you are doing absolutely brilliantly. Like ebaa said, the changes happen so soon after the surgery don’t they? For me it was like having a year long Christmas!! Something new, exciting and sometimes unexpected every single day.

Thank you for posting this, it will give hope and inspiration to so many other newbies and those waiting for surgery.

I too can’t wait to hear all your other ‘firsts’

Doodah x

shelleymarie

Thank you so much and no problem. I think when I was waiting it really helped to hear of the physical changes that happen, even as early as 5 weeks after surgery because the numbers come of different for everyone and no one can predict that but life improvements will happen for everyone. I hope to share more with everyone as they happen. Actually I had another one today. My mum brought me a size 26 pair of shorts for my holiday as a present. Very sweet of her but obviously not a good idea at the moment as no idea what size I’ll be but I thought, well maybe I will be that size but I will try them on and see how far I’m away from it. They were much closer to fitting than expected! I think I’d need to loss about half a stone to do them up and maybe a stone to be real comfortable but they fit up my thighs and bum! Just the belly in the way. That was shocking, I was a size 34/36 before my pre op diet. They will obviously be too big for my holiday so I will have to hope that we get a bit more sun this summer (lol!) by the time I can fit in them.

I had my post op check with Mr Slater yesterday. I’ve been having a couple of very sickly days, I can keep stuff down but I just feel queasy all the time and occasionally am sick, but it’s just a bile like substance. He said he was pleased with my weight loss and that he wasn’t worried about the sickness because I can eat and drink. It is most likely down to my pouch not emptying as fast as others (maybe the opening is a little on the small side but not enough to require surgical intervention) and as swelling goes down and things stretch a bit I should feel fine. Unfortunately it may take a while longer. It’s a bit of a downer to feel sick a lot of the time and now I have a stinking cold but I’m still focused on the positives and know that some great times are a head. I’m sure when this bit is over I’m going to feel healthier than I have in years! 😀

Thanks again 🙂 x

hypnothink

Wow, I’m day 6 of milk diet and not feeling well, think its a bug, kids had it last week but these updates have cheered me up knowing the good things to come. Hurry up 17th so I can join the losers bench.

shelleymarie

Keep at the milk diet, I had days I didn’t feel good too but it was worth it in the end to go in surgery knowing I’d done my part. Hopefully you will feel better as time goes on and I promise the time will go very quickly now. You will be on the loser bench before you know it 🙂

hypnothink

Feel so much better today! My daughter had a birthday party and I wasn’t even bothered about the birthday cake when I cut it up. Back on track I feel.

Lauren
    Keymaster

Glad you feel back on track Hypno. It really will all be worth it 😉

Shelley, you and I had very similar start weights/size. I was 164kg on day of my op and my BMI was 64. I was a size 34. It will be so great to hear how you are doing as it will be like seeing my own journey reflected back at me!! It’s my opiversary on the 17th of this month. I now count it as my second birthday – like the Queen haha!

Great post guys, thanks

Doodah x

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media