Call 0333 016 3030 or make an enquiry today!

5 months post op and going down hill rapidly. please help!

Home » Topics » Surgical Journey » The Gastric Bypass Operation » 5 months post op and going down hill rapidly. please help!

Welcome to our online community

Take a look around and read through the conversations our members are having.

If you would like to participate, it is easy to join the Streamline Surgical family: simply click here to register.

Once you are a member of our online family, you can talk about whatever you want, from considering weight loss surgery to life post surgery. Simply browse the conversations to join one or start your own if you prefer.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    MissJones86

Hi I am now 5 months post open and doing really badly. I think I’m eating too much but not sure how to rectify this. The hospital for after care was awful so didn’t really know what the stages were and couldn’t get hold of anyone to talk to at the hospital as they just passed me from person to person. As well as portion size I’m eating badly crisps, choc etc the only thing body doesn’t like is greesy food. I feel like I’ve been thought all of this to fail. If lost just under 5 stone which is half way to my target which is good I think but I haven’t lost any weight in about a month now. Please help me get back on the right path.

wilkin47

Hi missjones86,so sorry you are struggling at the moment it is so easy to slip back into old habits especially if it’s not having an impact on your insides. You need to get yourself in a new mind set and that is one of the most difficult things, more than going through the op itself. I am constantly thinking I am eating too much and keeping a food diary helps. Sounds disappointing that you are not getting the post op support. The guys on the forum are very good, sounds as though you need a bit of a lift at this point as you have done so well so far. I always think of what I used to eat and make sure I eat a fraction of that, ie. I used to have three weetabix and toast now I only have one weetabix and keep bread to a minimum, 1/2 a can of soup and no bread at lunchtime, just scaling things down. You need support and encouragement, seek out help from your post op surgical team or your community health team. Stay in contact and we will support you all the way, think how far you have come, reset the clock from now, don’t think about an end goal in weight as it can become a milestone, have some smaller stepping stones and if you exceed these it will give you such a boost. Take a day at a time we are here for you. Wilkin47xxxx

treeza

Hi Missjones

What a shame you don’t feel supported by your team. I’m also 5 months post op bypass surgery.
    I’m eating “normal” food but ramekin or side plate sized! Any more will stretch your pouch. Crisps etc not a good idea as wasted calories (although we don’t really count calories). Sweet & fatty things will cause you to dump! Rule of thumb is :- no more than 5grms sugar, 3grm of saturated fat per 100grms. You should have 3 small meals & 2 snacks per day.
    You shouldn’t drink for 20-30 minutes pre & post eating or whilst your eating as this can cause dumping & will stretch your pouch.
    I’m really still a baby when it comes to surgery but there are some wonderful, inspiration experience people on this forum who will help advise you better than I can.
    If I was you I’d go back to the start eating very small meals & snacks to try shrink up
    Pouch a bit. Stop the crisps & sweets. Good luck x saying all that 5 stone in 5 months is fab! Couldn’t have had that kind of weight loss without the surgery x keep strong, don’t beat yourself up. You’ve done the right thing seeking help it shows your determination to continue on x be kind to yourself xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

@MissJones86 30352 wrote:

Hi I am now 5 months post open and doing really badly. I think I’m eating too much but not sure how to rectify this. The hospital for after care was awful so didn’t really know what the stages were and couldn’t get hold of anyone to talk to at the hospital as they just passed me from person to person. As well as portion size I’m eating badly crisps, choc etc the only thing body doesn’t like is greesy food. I feel like I’ve been thought all of this to fail. If lost just under 5 stone which is half way to my target which is good I think but I haven’t lost any weight in about a month now. Please help me get back on the right path.

Hi there. So sorry to hear you are struggling.

May I ask where and with whom you had your surgery? Aftercare is vital to continued success as we all know and, if you feel you are not getting an adequate amount then it will make you feel down. That’s when old habits can creep back in.
    Please keep in touch and Let us know if we can help ok?
    Having said that, do not beat yourself up as you could be on a plateau. Sometimes they can last for weeks. One of mine did. That’s why it is so important not to get hung up on the numbers. Give yourself realistic, attainable goals. Be kind to yourself! But you need to nip this in the bud as soon as possible with help and support.

Doodah x

MissJones86

I had my operation back in July at St Richards hospital, Chichester. I got a phone call about 3days after I got home, had my 6 week post open check at 10 weeks and I’ve just had a letter to see the dietician but am going to request to see someone closer to home as its a 4 hour drive. Apart from that I have had no contact with anyone. The amount of times I rung them up to discuss what food I could eat etc just to be transferred to someone else is ridiculous, I gave up trying to contact someone in the end.

Should I be having 1 piece of bread/toast or 2 and should I be having half chic breast with potatos and veg or go with the small whole piece I’ve been having? It’s the simplest of things. I used to feel stuffed so I knew when to stop but for the past month or so I haven’t been getting that uncomfortable feeling of full until I stop myself thinking I have I eaten too much. I really don’t want to stretch my pouch so I’m going to go back to the smaller portions but I’ve just no clue at what portions I should be having. As with the sweet stuff and crisps I’m going to try cutting that out completely as I think that is the reason I’m not having any weight loss, I strange as it seems I wish I dumped on them but the only thing I get is I feel sick for the day if I have too much freeze like a bacon sandwich or omelette.

Thank you for you replys it’s helped tremendously to know there is support on here if needed so thank you so much.

Tori x

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

I must say I am surprised to here that you are having issues with St Richards, their team is normally fantastic.

As for what you should be eating at 5 months, you should have been given a booklet before surgery that explains everything but as a guide by 5 months you should be starting to settle down in your portion size and should probably be eating no more than a small tea plate, I am coming up to 2 years and eat no more than a tea plate size meal any more will stretch your pouch, I assume you had a bypass but the same applies if you where banded.

As for eating crisps and chockolat, sorry but you know full well they are not good for you so you have only yourself to blame for eating the two worst things to eat post surgery.

Read your book again and try to keep to your appointments with the Dieticians.

Sorry to be so blunt but you have been given a wonderful tool to help but it is only a help, you have to work with it or it won’t work and you will go back the way you were before, WLS helps break the bad eating cycle so that you can lean a new way of eating, if you are unable or unwilling to learn it will fail and so will you.

Call your team again in the new year and see if they can pull your appointment nearer as you obviously need some more help and guidence before it’s too late. AND STAY OFF THE CHRISPS AND CHOCOLATE.:(

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

@MissJones86 30357 wrote:

I had my operation back in July at St Richards hospital, Chichester. I got a phone call about 3days after I got home, had my 6 week post open check at 10 weeks and I’ve just had a letter to see the dietician but am going to request to see someone closer to home as its a 4 hour drive. Apart from that I have had no contact with anyone. The amount of times I rung them up to discuss what food I could eat etc just to be transferred to someone else is ridiculous, I gave up trying to contact someone in the end.

Should I be having 1 piece of bread/toast or 2 and should I be having half chic breast with potatos and veg or go with the small whole piece I’ve been having? It’s the simplest of things. I used to feel stuffed so I knew when to stop but for the past month or so I haven’t been getting that uncomfortable feeling of full until I stop myself thinking I have I eaten too much. I really don’t want to stretch my pouch so I’m going to go back to the smaller portions but I’ve just no clue at what portions I should be having. As with the sweet stuff and crisps I’m going to try cutting that out completely as I think that is the reason I’m not having any weight loss, I strange as it seems I wish I dumped on them but the only thing I get is I feel sick for the day if I have too much freeze like a bacon sandwich or omelette.

Thank you for you replys it’s helped tremendously to know there is support on here if needed so thank you so much.

Tori x[/QUO

Hi again Tori and happy new year to you.

I have to agree with Paul and say that your portions and choice of foods appear to be incorrect. The team at Chichester are first class so I’m surprised that you feel you have not had enough support from them. If you cannot get through on the phone, drop them an email and maybe ask for another post op eating booklet if you have misplaced yours.

Please find the links to Carol Ball’s ‘Return to Slender’ bariatric cookery books and to her bariatric portion plate. Both are of enormous help. I use Carol’s plate every single day and I’m 5 years post surgery!

I think you know in your heart that eating chocolate and crisps is the wrong thing to do. Not only will it stop you losing weight and breaking old eating habits, it will just store up trouble with the future as it is so bad for you – especially crisps.
    Go back to basics. Start again with a fresh new attitude for the new year! Keep in touch.

Bariatric Portion Plate and

Complete Set of

ps the plate is in the sale!

Doodahx

treeza

Missjones you took the huge step to have surgery now all you need to do is let it work for you! Cut right back on portion size & no crisps or chocolate (I had a few crisps at Christmas but despite 3 tubs & 2 boxes of chocolates at home + biscuits & cake etc nothing sweet has passed my lips! Let alone the endless supply of everything naughty at work (the joys of being a nurse in A&E) I haven’t had one bit! Terrified of dumping!

You can get back on track Hun! Try get an earlier appointment with dietician.

Take care xxx

Lauren
    Keymaster

WOW will of iron Treeza! Did the crisps taste like slivers of cardboard drenched in oil? That’s how they taste to me now. Cannot even smell them let alone eat them! Chocolate tastes too sweet except for the really good stuff!

Tori, please try to get an earlier appointment with your dietitian – I think it will help enormously 🙂

Doodah x

MissJones86

Hi everyone, I had a phone call yesterday from st richards to make an appointment to see dietician I’m March but the lady is getting the dietician to give me a ring on Thursday with I’m really pleased with. My eating has been better I’ve been having plain basic foods for example tonight’s meal was half chic breast, hand full of pasta and some low fat coleslaw. I’ve cut the choc and crisps but am struggling with healthy quick snacks any ideas? I’m really disappointed in myself that I aloud myself to start eating the chocolate and crisps again but it’s my own fault and I’ve only made it more difficult for myself but I determined to sort myself out. I been given this wonderful gift and I shouldn’t be taking it for granted.

Also had some exciting news. My godmother is going to pay for any surgery I need breast lift, tummy tuck etc…I’m overwhelmed at the craziness of everything that’s going on at the moment and I’m blessed to have the opportunity to have cosmetic surgery. Has anyone has any done themselves and does anyone know of the best place to go. Obviously not having anything yet as if still got about 4stone to go but I don’t really know anything about post weight loss surgury.

Thank you all for your help and encouragement it really does mean a lot to me.

Tori x

Lauren
    Keymaster

@MissJones86 30563 wrote:

Hi everyone, I had a phone call yesterday from st richards to make an appointment to see dietician I’m March but the lady is getting the dietician to give me a ring on Thursday with I’m really pleased with. My eating has been better I’ve been having plain basic foods for example tonight’s meal was half chic breast, hand full of pasta and some low fat coleslaw. I’ve cut the choc and crisps but am struggling with healthy quick snacks any ideas? I’m really disappointed in myself that I aloud myself to start eating the chocolate and crisps again but it’s my own fault and I’ve only made it more difficult for myself but I determined to sort myself out. I been given this wonderful gift and I shouldn’t be taking it for granted.

Also had some exciting news. My godmother is going to pay for any surgery I need breast lift, tummy tuck etc…I’m overwhelmed at the craziness of everything that’s going on at the moment and I’m blessed to have the opportunity to have cosmetic surgery. Has anyone has any done themselves and does anyone know of the best place to go. Obviously not having anything yet as if still got about 4stone to go but I don’t really know anything about post weight loss surgury.

Thank you all for your help and encouragement it really does mean a lot to me.

Tori x

Hi Tori

Glad you are feeling more positive and in control again. You have taken a huge step towards your future success by being brave enough to admit that you are struggling and asking for help.

Healthy snacks usually include things like chopped salad, fruit or veggies and (for my part) nuts and seeds. Rice cakes are good too as they require lots of chewing so force you to eat slowly.

Wow you really do have a fairy godmother don’t you!!? I had a tummy tuck in 2012 and am delighted with it. I had mine with Mr Nicholas Bennett down here in Hampshire. Cosmetic Surgery | Portsmouth, Havant, Chichester, Petersfield, Hampshire, West Sussex | Spire Portsmouth Hospital

Depending on where you live, there is also the McIndoe centre with whom we work in conjunction. They are a super team and very, very friendly and supportive.

McIndoe Surgical Centre | About Streamline Surgical – The Fat Doctors

Keep up the good work and be kind to yourself ok?

Doodah x

Miss Jones. I would prob wait till you have sorted your eating problems, before you consider plastics. There would be no point in putting yourself through surgery, if you were to regain. Sorry to sound harsh, but best advice I can give you is we all struggle with food cravings. But we all know the rules, and crisps and chocolate are no no’s. I have to say, looking at your meal choices , they look a bit bland, it would drive me mad just eating plain meat. Post WLS meals don’t have to be bland or boring- far from it. I make the most amazing and tasty curries, stews,bolognese, chilli’s etc. Except I always use extra lean meat, all home made never from a jar and I keep my carbs to a minimum. I swear, and even my husband agrees. The food I cook now is a million times are delicious than before.

Preparation is the key. Always keep your fridge full of cold meat, veg and fruit for when you get an attack if the munchies!!

Xxx

Paul-H
    Participant

Hi

Regarding plastics, I would say hold off until at least 2 years have passed.

That way you will know if you have managed to work with your surgery, it’s no good having all that skin removed and then expecting your skin to Stretch again if you do put your weight back on.

Year one is easy, year two is where you find out if you have really beaten your food addictions.

If after two years there are no signs of the old habits creeping back, then is the time to think of skin removal surgery.

Paul

Lauren
    Keymaster

I was 4 years post bypass before I had any surgery. I wouldn’t have even considered it before three years. But that’s just me!

Do you have Carol Ball’s books Miss Jones? They are a godsend. here is the link:

RETURN TO SLENDER COOKBOOK IS HERE | Carol

Carol also produces a free monthly newsletter with new recipes. hope this helps.

Doodah x

• This reply was modified 5 years, 5 months ago by Lauren.
    • This reply was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by clare.williams.
    Chezzybaby

I’m just 12 weeks post op and am in the same boat as you, I’ve lost 4 n half stone but not losing any more and I eat healthy and I can eat almost anything and a lot more than others who have had the same op at the same time as me. But I’m worried my tummy pouch is bigger than the others that have had the op same time as me. I hope somebody can help as I am just as worried as you are. Good luck Hun xx

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Recent Topics

Book your appointment
by clicking here

In the media